Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Writer/director Rian Johnson did an interview with The Wall Street Journal this week, discussing his favorite tech essentials that he uses both casually and professionally, including for the creation of Star Wars: The Last Jedi. In regards to the scripting process of The Last Jedi, Johnson said that he wrote the entire film on an air-gapped MacBook Air.

star-wars-macbook-air.jpeg
Star Wars: The Last Jedi official title via starwars.com

An air-gapped computer is never connected to the internet, ensuring that the device is completely isolated from other, potentially non-secure networks. Johnson explained that this prevented secrets within The Last Jedi's script from ever getting out, and he "used it for nothing except writing the script," although he didn't specify which model of Apple's MacBook Air he used.
I typed Episode VIII out on a MacBook Air. For security it was "air-gapped"--never connected to the internet. I carried it around and used it for nothing except writing the script. I kept it in a safe at Pinewood Studios. I think my producer was constantly horrified I would leave it in a coffee shop.
Johnson also mentioned playing iOS game Desert Golfing on his iPhone X, admitting he's played "more than 1,500 holes" in the game. Other tech discussed included a Leica M6 35mm film camera used on The Last Jedi, his Omega Speedmaster Pro wrist watch used to time out moments on the set, and "The History of Rome" podcast he listened to when writing the movie.

Ahead of the release of The Last Jedi, Apple hosted free Star Wars-themed workshops at select Apple retail stores. The sessions taught participants how to make movie trailers and code droids in celebration of Force Friday II, the day that new Star Wars toys launched for characters, stories, and locations from The Last Jedi. Earlier in the summer, animator and illustrator Wahyu Ichwandardi shared an Apple/Star Wars project of his own when he recreated the entire first trailer for The Last Jedi on a vintage Apple IIc from 1984.

Article Link: Air-Gapped MacBook Air Helped Rian Johnson Avoid Leaks When Writing 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
That movie was so terrible seeing his name upsets me.
I thought it was great. Better than ROTJ (which is good) and all the prequels. That's just my opinion though.

I'm a Star Wars fan but not a rabid fan. I even like most of the special edition changes to the original trilogy. I grew up watching Star Wars on VHS for years before the special editions came out so I have a long history with the "pure" Star Wars experience. Even so, Lucas's changes were mostly positive. I understand why people get upset over the changes but I don't.

I'm not a movie critic so I won't go in-depth why I liked the movie but I thought it very enjoyable.

Last edited:

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Shame it wasn't leaked beforehand so I wouldn't have had to pay money to this turd.

#HeRuinedStarWars

Lol, as soon as I saw the title of the thread, I started laughing. I was like.....this is such an easy door to walk through, lol.

I saw it twice, & thought it was alright. I liked it better the second time (without the expectations)

It's interesting, I know who people love it & people who despise. This certainly seems like the most divisive film in the franchise. It will be interesting to see how it ages.....

I'm thinking JJ's upcoming film might be more accepted, from a general audience standpoint. He doesn't seem like he'd do anything too radical.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
*Encrypt the disk, have a very strong login password and you're all set, oh wait, there's Intels cluster....Meltdown and Spectre.:rolleyes:

*If he was outside.
This is sufficient for most of us. Those that are high value targets need to go to much more extreme measures. An Air Gaped machine or network is the right thing to do for IP that will generate $1.2B in revenue.

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I am terrified, someone please tell him about local Time Machine backup. He could lost all work, that's very unprofessional.

Reactions: twocents

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
I hope this will eventually be removed from the canon, along with Episode 7.

- Bombs utilizing gravity to hit their targets in space
- PC to the max
- Luke Skywalker!?!?
- etc.

Oh our ships shield is so strong it can survive the onslaught from like 10 Star Destroyers and a super Star Destroyer (which was way too large and seemed like a parody) for 30 minutes...

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Ignoring all the hate for the movie, this is actually really smart. If you really want your device to be secure and reduce the chances of leaking a script to almost 0%, then removing the device from the internet is the way to go. Maybe have a flash drive attached that automatically backs it up just in case the computer fails.

smarch

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
This is sufficient for most of us. Those that are high value targets need to go to much more extreme measures. An Air Gaped machine or network is the right thing to do for IP that will generate $1.2B in revenue.
Think he did backup?
[doublepost=1515779731][/doublepost]
Was about to say the same thing. This guy shouldn't have written this movie, mediocre at best.
Nah... was great

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kengineer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.