Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple yesterday announced that it sold 77.3 million iPhones during the first fiscal quarter of 2018 (fourth calendar quarter of 2017), and according to data shared by Strategy Analytics, Apple's record sales made the iPhone the top selling smartphone in the world during the quarter.

In Q4 2017, Samsung shipped 74.7 million phones, 2.6 million fewer than Apple's 77.3 million. Other vendors like Huawei and OPPO shipped far fewer devices at 41 million and 29.5 million, respectively. Apple also beat out competitors with the average selling price of its iPhones during the quarter, which came in at $796.

strategyanalyticsiphoneq42017-800x628.png

Apple beat out all other smartphone vendors including Samsung, Huawei, OPPO, and Xiaomi, but its overall iPhone shipments were down from 78.3 million in the year-ago quarter. It's worth noting, however, that Q4 2017 was a 13 week quarter, while Q4 2016 was a 14 week quarter.

While Apple came out on top in global smartphone shipments during the quarter, Samsung continues to be the top vendor overall. Apple's share of the market was 19.3 percent in Q4 2017, compared to Samsung's 18.6 percent, but its overall marketshare for 2017 was 14.3 percent, compared to Samsung's 21.1 percent.

Overall global smartphone shipments declined year over year, falling from 438.7 million units in the fourth quarter of 2016 to 400.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2017. According to Strategy Analytics, it was "the biggest annual fall in smartphone history."

Over the course of 2017, though, smartphone shipments actually grew 1 percent and topped 1.5 billion units for the first time ever.

Apple does not break down its iPhone sales, but yesterday, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that the iPhone X has been the top selling iPhone every week since it shipped in December. Cook also said that the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus lineup brought in the highest revenue of any lineup in the company's history.

Article Link: iPhone Was Best Selling Smartphone in Q4 2017 Amid Industry Wide Decline

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Apple could have sold way more iPhone X at a more decent price point.

From what I read they didn’t make that much per phone. Lots of new tech that their suppliers were having trouble with at first.

Didn’t matter to me, $1000 plus for a phone isn’t justifiable. It won’t be next year, or the year after either.

Reactions: Agit21

bmot

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2016
In Q4 2017, Samsung shipped 74.7 million iPhones, 2.6 million fewer than Apple's 77.3 million. Other vendors like Huawei and OPPO shipped far fewer devices at 41 million and 29.5 million, respectively. Apple also beat out competitors with the average selling price of its iPhones during the quarter, which came in at $796.

Wow, so they are all now selling iPhones. Im not surprised. Isn't that what Samsung always wanted.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
>> Overall global smartphone shipments declined year over year, falling from 438.7 million units in the fourth quarter of 2016 to 400.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2017. According to Strategy Analytics, it was "the biggest annual fall in smartphone history." <<

I found that statement stunning. Was not thinking we'd passed peak smartphone sales already...

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
Market share for Apple 2017 was 14.3% a decline from 14.5%. Samsung increased from 20.8% to 21.1%

Reporting that Apple sold a lot of iPhones in the last quarter of 2017 is a bit stupid considering it's when it releases them. Samsung releases in a different quarter.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Didn’t matter to me, $1000 plus for a phone isn’t justifiable. It won’t be next year, or the year after either.

The iPhone X won't appeal everybody based on the price point, Apple knows that, the consumer knows that. That's why they have an expansive iPhone lineup, there's a price point and model for everybody. But for the iPhone X to be the top selling iPhone every week since it's launch is impressive.

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
Let that sink in for a monent: Apple sold more smartphones than anyone else, at crazy high ASP.

Not to mention wearables: Apple grabbed 75% of the market.
Not true. Samsung sold more in the whole year. You can't compare a quarter where apple has a new phone out and samsug does not. Same thing applies to the quarter when Samsung has a new phone out, apple hasn't. So the best to look at is the full year for a better comparison.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
The iPhone X won't appeal everybody based on the price point, Apple knows that, the consumer knows that. That's why they have an expansive iPhone lineup, there's a price point and model for everybody.
This is true, I ended up getting an SE, which I love.
But for the iPhone X to be the top selling iPhone every week since it's launch is impressive.
Not really. Has there ever been a time that the new iPhone was being outsold by an older one?

I guess you can say it is impressive since the price is significantly higher, but I don't think it is unusual for a new iPhone to outsell older models after the new model's launch.

Reactions: DUIduckSAUCE

csi24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Maryland
Is OnePlus included under OPPO?
[doublepost=1517604671][/doublepost]
From what I read they didn’t make that much per phone. Lots of new tech that their suppliers were having trouble with at first.

What are you gonna do when it's time for you to get a new phone? Go with the cheapest model or just buy a used phone? Just curious

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
There were reports a few months ago predicting Huawei to overtake the 2nd place spot.

But Huawei actually sold fewer phones last quarter than the year-ago quarter... and are still in a distant 3rd place.

If you can't trust analysts... who can you trust?!?! :p

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not really. Has there ever been a time that the new iPhone was being outsold by an older one?

My post was Not in comparison to any other iPhone, it was strictly commenting on Cooks analysis yesterday during the earnings call. At no point am I referring to other model iPhone, just since the inception of the iPhone X launch.

I guess you can say it is impressive since the price is significantly higher.

You guess? Considering how much hatred and disapproval was commented on the iPhone X since the launch that others wanted to see it "Fail", I would say that's fairly impressive being the top selling since it's launch on November 3 every week, even the price aside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.