Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today launched a repair program for iPhone 7 devices that are impacted by an ongoing bug that causes them to have no available service even when cellular coverage is available. Apple says the problem is caused by a component that has failed on the main logic board.

The problem affects "a small percentage" of iPhone 7 devices, causing them to display a "No Service" message instead of properly connecting to an available cellular network.

applenoservicerepairprogram-800x236.jpg

Customers who are experiencing this issue will receive a free device repair from Apple, and those who have already paid for repairs are eligible for reimbursement. Apple will be emailing customers who may have previously paid for a repair related to this problem to offer a refund.

According to Apple, affected units were manufactured between September 2016 and February 2018 and were sold in China, Hong Kong, Japan, Macao, and the United States. Model numbers that are impacted by the hardware failure include A1660, A1780, and A779, and customers can see if they are affected by checking the model number on the back of their device.

We first heard hints of this bug in September of 2016, when Apple launched an investigation into iPhone 7 devices that were displaying a "No Service" message after customers activated and then disabled Airplane Mode.

Apple's repair program is only available for the iPhone 7, and Apple will examine all iPhones prior to service to verify that the iPhone in question is impacted by the bug and eligible for repair. Apple says that devices with other damage, such as a cracked screen, will need to have those problems addressed before the "No Service" bug can be fixed.

Customers who are in need of a repair should contact an Authorized Apple Service Provider, visit an Apple retail store, or get in touch with Apple support. Apple will be sending all iPhone 7 models in need of repair to an Apple Repair Center.

The new iPhone 7 repair program covers affected iPhone 7 devices for two years after the first retail sale of the unit.

Article Link: Apple Launches Official Repair Program for iPhone 7 Models Affected by 'No Service' Issue

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
How is this supposed to be a small number if it's for the entire production run timeline and for models that are in several huge countries?

Not hard to imagine a few possible scenarios.

Apple could manufacture logic boards in a large batch at one time, and then use up that supply of logic boards over the course of a year.

Or the component supplier could have had an issue where 1 in 100 chips were faulty, but they didn't realize this until much later so those defective chips ended up in phones produced over an entire year.

Apple might source this part from several companies and found that one of them had issues with reliability.

When Apple makes the logic boards they have multiple assembly lines. They could have discovered a flaw in the soldering on only one line and just recently discovered it. So every iPhone made on this line could be defective, but if they have 200 lines then it's still 1 in 200 devices.

Apr 3, 2017
my 7 w/ Verizon will drop calls now and then but the biggest thing I've noticed is terrible call quality when calling people on other networks such as T-mobile or AT&T. I've always thought the issue was on their end but perhaps it's been my phone all along. How will Apple employees go about testing and troubleshooting this problem in an Apple store?

HippyRabbitFish

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2013
Huntsville, AL
There's no connection here, but I'll draw one, anyway.

The reported plans to delay some features planned for iOS 12 until next year seem a good choice given the features to prevent shutdowns on older devices with well-used batteries.

Perhaps deeper reviews of build processes and working conditions are in order, too. If the added anecdotes of similar instances with 7+ and X models are related in any way, this may not be the only announcement in regards to issues due to build quality.

Reactions: Adriewg

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Just keeps getting better and better. :p

What's getting better and better?

An iPhone 7 problem affecting some units was identified and linked to a component failure. And Apple stepped up initiating a repair program to deal with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: deanthedev

HippyRabbitFish

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2013
Huntsville, AL
What's getting better and better?

An iPhone 7 problem affecting some units was identified and linked to a component failure. And Apple stepped up initiating a repair program to deal with it.

This is risk management applied after-the-fact.

Better to pay out now and fix customers than to do nothing and potentially pay more later and fix customers who may not be as interested in a fix because they are no longer customers.

Still, they started offering these repairs out of the goodness of their hearts.

peterman_p

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2018
Pontiac, MI
So they have to ship the phone off for repair? If I bring my phone in for repair will apple provide me with a phone to use until the repair is finished?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.