Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple refreshes much of its product lineup on an annual basis, and a new report reveals when that process may begin this year.

trio-iphone-ipad-mac-800x471.jpg

Taiwanese website DigiTimes first claims some suppliers are poised to benefit from new or increased orders from Apple to help produce next-generation iPad, MacBook, and Apple Watch models at some point in 2018:
Although some Taiwan makers in the iPhone X supply chain have been affected by Apple's move to scale back shipments of the device, some others including Career Technology, E&R Engineering, ShunSin Technology and Superior Plating Technology (SPT) are poised to benefit from new or increased orders from the client to support production of its next-generation iPad, MacBook and Apple Watch models in 2018, according to industry sources.
The report then replaces Apple Watch with iPhone in the sentence, and says the new products are slated for debut starting in March:
These makers have cutting-edge technologies or have newly tapped into the supply chains of Apple's consumer devices. Among them, SPT, which boasts pearl bright nickel processing technology, is ready to enjoy sizeable orders from Apple, which will incorporate the technology to process adapters for its new-generation iPhone, iPad and MacBook devices, slated for debut starting in March 2018.
The timeframe could simply be a guess based on Apple's new product releases last year. In 2017, the company announced a lower-cost 9.7-inch iPad in March by way of press release, alongside (PRODUCT)RED edition iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus models, and larger 32GB and 128GB storage capacities for iPhone SE.

As a boilerplate disclaimer, DigiTimes does not have a perfect track record. The publication has shared inaccurate information about both what is coming and when on Apple's roadmap, including last year's prediction that Apple would unveil its 10.5-inch iPad Pro at an April event that never transpired.

If the report is accurate, the iPad lineup is likely the most ideal candidate for product refreshes as early as March. The launch of new iPhone and Apple Watch models now seems tied together in September, while Apple hasn't unveiled new notebooks in March since the Early 2015 model 13-inch MacBook Pro.

Apple could also unveil a second-generation iPhone SE in March, which marks the two-year anniversary of the budget device, but KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently cast some doubt on this possibility.

Article Link: DigiTimes Predicts Apple's First New Products of 2018 Could Debut Starting in March Like Last Year

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
I still feel like MR should launch a trackrecord.macrumors.com, where folks like DigiTimes, Ming-Chi Kuo, Gene Mueller, Mark German, etc. get introduced with their affiliations, their past predictions, etc.

This would be great. Just a simple: 3 for 56 DigiTimes predicts...

Although then we'll get more like today's predictions: DigiTimes predicts Easter candy saled to be up this Spring...

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Hopefully, the "macbook" includes MBP(?)

Probably not tho.

The last refresh was only June, it's no where near. There isn't even a CPU upgrade available from Intel announced yet let alone available and shipping - and even then it won't make any difference to end user performance.

Reactions: pankajdoharey

Suspended
Jul 20, 2011
I wish they would stop doing this yearly-cycle and focus on reliability and dependability of their products. They are creating themselves the mess they're in. iOS is buggy because there are too many devices. It is not thought-through in ease of use, because they push themselves every year. This is Apple, they can take a year off - granted, in case of the Mac Pro, they did it for years - the next iteration must be a diamond.

Last edited:

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Need a iPad 2017 for my mom. I guess I will buy it in Costco with 90 days return window. If Apple release new iPad in March, I will make a return and purchase the new iPad

pankajdoharey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2014
Oz town, Jade City. Mars
"new-generation iPhone, iPad and MacBook devices, slated for debut starting in March 2018." All three in one go? Something BIG is coming our way, we dont see iOS and MacBook refresh together in one event. There has always been a separate iOS and Mac events.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
The last refresh was only June, it's no where near.

Time between Skylake and Katy Lake tbMBPs: 221 days. Time since: 245 days.

There isn't even a CPU upgrade available from Intel announced yet let alone available and shipping - and even then it won't make any difference to end user performance.

They could move to Kaby Lake-G for power usage improvements and a newer GPU generation.

And Coffee Lake-H is probably around the corner; there were leaked specs a few weeks ago. It’ll move it to six cores.

(Alas, still no 32 GB RAM.)

pankajdoharey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2014
Oz town, Jade City. Mars
Time between Skylake and Katy Lake tbMBPs: 221 days. Time since: 245 days.

They could move to Kaby Lake-G for power usage improvements and a newer GPU generation.

And Coffee Lake-H is probably around the corner; there were leaked specs a few weeks ago. It’ll move it to six cores.

(Alas, still no 32 GB RAM.)
I dont think this event is about Kaby Lake. If you couple the information that Apple is trying to produce a single app for both Mac and iOS for 2018 coupled with a single new product event for iOS and Macbook, we might finally witness a ARM based MacBook in all probability.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
You mean you want it discontinued? Its certainly not going to get any updates, its an obsolete model.

OK... So you're not into cpu/gpu/ram/ssd/keyboard updates, apparently feeling it would still be "obsolete."

What exactly are you looking for?

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
I dont think this event is about Kaby Lake. If you couple the information that Apple is trying to produce a single app for both Mac and iOS for 2018 coupled with a single new product event for iOS and Macbook, we might finally witness a ARM based MacBook in all probability.

I doubt that. Marzipan, if it ships at all, is more likely to be improvements to make AppKit more UIKit-compatible, to wrap it (like UXKit), or to replace it altogether. I don’t see why it would have anything at all to do with CPU architecture, given that UIKit already runs on x86 and always has (cf. iOS Simulator).
[doublepost=1517840316][/doublepost]
MacBook with ONE MORE PORT would give Apple a sale. I don't do dongles, thanks.

Patiently waiting since 2011 to replace my MBA.

So buy a MacBook Pro without Touch Bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.