Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple TV 4K models with 64GB of storage are finally back in stock following months of shipping delays for the larger capacity model.

apple-tv-4k-64gb-in-stock-800x399.jpg

64GB configurations are currently estimated for delivery in 1-2 days in the United States and several other countries on Apple's online store, while same-day pickup is now available at dozens of Apple's retail stores.

Back in November, shipping estimates for the 64GB model fell back to 4-5 weeks. The estimate began to shrink gradually in January and has now improved enough for next-day delivery to be a possibility again as of this week.

Apple never provided a reason for the shipping delays, but it may have been due to a recent shortage in the NAND flash storage market.

Apple TV 4K was released last September in 32GB and 64GB sizes for $179 and $199 respectively in the United States. Apple recently began selling refurbished units for $30 off in the United States, a roughly 15 percent discount.

Article Link: Apple TV 4K With 64GB is Back in Stock After Extended Shipping Delays

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
You're basing that assumption on what? Also, what would someone be storing on an ATV?

At £20 more, why not. With Apple, you can never have TOO MUCH storage but you can certainly not have enough.
I guess games, 4K HDR screensavers at 600MB each add up. PLUS for people with slower broadband, if you switch the instant start mode off, then a HD (NOT 4K) film will cache in its entirety. A 3 hour film (Meet Joe Black) is 7.5GB in size so I guess that's handy.
But certainly why Apple make two storage options at only £20 difference is quite bizarre now that 4K films do not download temporarily in their entirety etc. Maybe Apple had 199 as their maximum price for a ATV (over 200 and there would be zero market) and instead thought 'I know the 32GB should be 150 but let's see how many people will buy it at 179' That's the impression that I get - the 32GB is the high profit box with the 64GB one making far less profit.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
At £20 more, why not. With Apple, you can never have TOO MUCH storage but you can certainly not have enough.
I guess games, 4K HDR screensavers at 600MB each add up. PLUS for people with slower broadband, if you switch the instant start mode off, then a HD (NOT 4K) film will cache in its entirety. A 3 hour film (Meet Joe Black) is 7.5GB in size so I guess that's handy.
But certainly why Apple make two storage options at only £20 difference is quite bizarre now that 4K films do not download temporarily in their entirety etc. Maybe Apple had 199 as their maximum price for a ATV (over 200 and there would be zero market) and instead thought 'I know the 32GB should be 150 but let's see how many people will buy it at 179' That's the impression that I get - the 32GB is the high profit box with the 64GB one making far less profit.
This doesn't address why the assumption was made that almost everyone buys the 64GB model. Honestly your explanation of owning the 64GB model is a pretty good argument for it not being needed. The 20 dollar difference being in the "why not" is probably the only reason that makes sense to me.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Me. I just bought the 64GB 4K version at the Apple Store this past Saturday. I’d rather be safe than sorry. $20 isn’t much especially when you’re doubling the memory size IMO.
Me too. I can’t predict tvOS and App changes for storage needs. I had my previous AppleTV (version 3, bought on day 1) for a number of years, picturing the same here

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
Why 64Gb? I thought I'd be able to auto-sync new additions to my Plex library, like I can in the iOS app. Nope.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the worst deal in tech.
They may as well released a 34GB model.

Reactions: critter13

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I have the 32 model. I have Netflix, and a few other apps on there. Literally have no worry of every using up the entire 32GB as of now.

Saipher

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2014
California
I got the 64GB version when it was first released because I thought there could be the possibility of some apps using local storage for DVR recordings. I guess I was wrong... at least storage wont be an issue anytime soon.

Reactions: Ted13

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
If I'm not mistaken, all of the sales and special offers were for the 32GB model only (certainly the Direct TV Now offer). Which, BTW, makes the price differential between the 32 and 64 GB models much bigger than $20 in practice.

I was recently at Apples Visitors center and they were out of stock on the 64 gb version as well.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I have four 32gb Apple TVs used constantly and not once have I had a storage issue or a warning or anything.

Besides future proofing (I guess?) why do people buy the larger one?
What am I missing?

Reactions: its93rc

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Can you store offline media in a third party app?
Since tvOS will delete app content data if the device needs the space, no.

With sideloading the answer is yes (the apps don’t have to follow App Store rules) but with the caveat that it could be deleted at anytime as all local content (non-app) storage is temporary. So far I’ve never had it delete my data from a sideloaded app (been using over year) but I have more than 16GB free on my 32 GB AppleTV 4 as well.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
I got the 64GB version when it was first released because I thought there could be the possibility of some apps using local storage for DVR recordings. I guess I was wrong... at least storage wont be an issue anytime soon.
DVR software, once Apple finally gets some TV bundle deal for AppleTV would make sense. Will anyone ever bother or, more importantly, be allowed to do it? Who knows. Also apps like Infuse that download on the iPad, would make sense to be able to on the AppleTV as well

Reactions: Saipher

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
I have four 32gb Apple TVs used constantly and not once have I had a storage issue or a warning or anything.

Besides future proofing (I guess?) why do people buy the larger one?
What am I missing?

Probably mislead into believing you can download media into it.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Probably mislead into believing you can download media into it.

What's really weird is, go to the page for the Apple TV: https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-4k/

I didn't intensively search every word and might have missed it, but I can't find a single mention or hint at any reason why you'd choose a larger storage tier.

Even if you decide "I just want more storage", there's literally not a single sentence on the Apple product page for it that tells you what you might get or what you can do with extra storage..

I really believe the space was going to be for onboard DVR storage for an Apple sold TV service like Vue/Sling/YTTV, etc - that never materialized, but since it might some day, and they are probably always working on it/negotiations, etc, they've kept the storage tier thing going.

Honestly, it seems crazy to me that people are buying the larger one still after years now (since 2015's release of the 4th gen) of there being no proven reason to do so...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.