Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In iOS 11, Apple Maps gained a new lane guidance feature, which is designed to let Maps users know which lane they should be in to avoid missing a sudden turn or an exit.

The feature was initially limited to the United States and China, but since the release of iOS 11, Apple has been working to expand it. As of this week, Apple has made lane guidance features available in Austria, South Africa, and Switzerland.

mapsios11laneguidance-800x707.jpg

With the addition of these three countries, lane guidance features are available in a total of 14 countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, France, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, the UK, and the United States.

Other iOS 11 Maps features, such as the addition of speed limit information, remain limited to the United States and the UK.

Article Link: Apple Maps Lane Guidance Expands to Austria, South Africa, and Switzerland

Reactions: jjm3 and Ribitsch

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
In before, apple maps suck.....

No it doesn't, used it primarily on a trip through a few countries in Europe, was better than Google maps which misdirected me several times.

As much as I hate Google, your claim is hilarious.

Reactions: Wide opeN

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
I'm only using Apple Maps in Austria and till now it has been pretty great. The real time traffic data is very accurate.
lane guidance is a welcome feature, can't wait to test it :D

Been in Sydney few weeks ago, amazing city, sadly looking like sheep town lately, everybody with the latest fruit gadgets, barely any diversity. Maps fail miserably on paths within Bondi to Coogee, and don't even get me started in Cape Town, ask locals about it and they will laugh in your face.

Sure justperry, it's true.

Karllake

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2012
Why?.... because it's true.

Other than it isn’t, Apple maps is getting ok at best but still doesn’t have the database of locations that google has or the visual ease of Waze, while JI is in charge of design there will never be a good map app from apple, Apple maps passes all the design tests but is really hard to use, Waze probably fails them and looks cartoonish but is exactly what the user needs and doesn’t have to fit into any corporate view of ‘design’

Owning a CarPlay headset I can say that the best feature it has by far is the ability to bypass Apple maps and use Waze.

Nic727

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
Other than it isn’t, Apple maps is getting ok at best but still doesn’t have the database of locations that google has or the visual ease of Waze, while JI is in charge of design there will never be a good map app from apple, Apple maps passes all the design tests but is really hard to use, Waze probably fails them and looks cartoonish but is exactly what the user needs and doesn’t have to fit into any corporate view of ‘design’

Owning a CarPlay headset I can say that the best feature it has by far is the ability to bypass Apple maps and use Waze.
I don’t agree. Apple Maps look very clean and is easy to use.

wbrat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Hmm... I’m pretty sure I saw lane guidelines in Poland few weeks ago (I do not use maps too often). I’ll try to check it tomorrow.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
I don’t agree. Apple Maps look very clean and is easy to use.
And the Waze interface feels terrible. Scrolling has a weird latency and slides way to fast if you let go.
All controls and animations are non-standard. It feels entirely non-native.

The UI of Apple Maps is the #1 reason for me to use it, even if everything else has better data.

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
I really love Apple Maps now, but they really need to improve in only two ways to really make the best app:

1. Offline map
2. Showing our speed limit

The only two things missing!

I see my speed limit when using Apple Maps.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
You see the posted speed limit, not the speed you’re going.

Honestly, everyone who thinks Google Maps is perfect is dilusional. It has the best database of places for sure but it has misrouted me more than Apple Maps has in recent years. Waze is only really good for city guidance and avoiding accidents and traffic jams.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast

I currently drive a lot for work... all over. It shows the speed limit for me for only about half the roads at best. And its not like its just smaller minor roads that dont show it... often im on major highways and it doesnt show anything.
I like Waze for its notifications... especially police warnings.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

God, I hate Waze. That was the original app I used before Apple Maps. Waze is for submissives who like to be ordered about. They should rename it "Dominatrize".

Reactions: FightTheFuture

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
In before, apple maps suck.....

No it doesn't, used it primarily on a trip through a few countries in Europe, was better than Google maps which misdirected me several times.
I want to like Apple Maps but we're in filling pothole and construction season in metro Detroit and Apple Maps is killing me. Really makes me wonder if I should invest at all into a CarPlay unit.
How are you doing that? Is your iPhone jailbroken?

WillO95

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2014
I really love Apple Maps now, but they really need to improve in only two ways to really make the best app:

1. Offline map
2. Showing our speed limit

The only two things missing!

Literally my exact same reaction....my brother works in the Apple Maps department and every time he talks about it, I just respond with “yes but do we have offline maps yet?”. In Belgium we don’t have the gift of unlimited data at a reasonable price, so using 4G constantly is not an option, which then renders CarPlay useless. Otherwise the few occasions I do use it, I really like it.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
In Belgium we don’t have the gift of unlimited data at a reasonable price, so using 4G constantly is not an option, which then renders CarPlay useless.

Really? That’s not on and you guys should protest! In France there are four main mobile service (cellular) providers, all of them offering their regular annual “offers”, so we can easily get 30-40 GB of data per month for 10€. This also includes unlimited calls/texts within the country and free roaming (no surcharges) across the EU. Out of curiosity, how much does it cost in Belgium?
[doublepost=1520073340][/doublepost]I agree with everyone who likes the looks of Apple Maps, so do I. Super nice to look at and very well integrated into the system. However, as many posters have said before, and which is still the case in my experience, the data accuracy varies dramatically from one country to another, let alone the continents. If you drive in California, you are lucky, if you have to venture around a small French town, tough luck! The other day Apple Maps was guiding me to make a turn where it was clearly prohibited by the road signs. I appreciate that it was not in central LA or San Francisco, but both Waze & Google manage to avoid these mishaps in the same area. IMO, Apple should allow an instant user-based feedback, like Waze does, as well as pay more attention to the existing error reports by their users. None of the big three apps (Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze) are perfect, yet the current luck of the accurate road data in Maps makes me use Waze most of the time. To be seen...

Apple Maps speed limits? The current implementation is just a hopeful accurate replica of the road signs. They should make them at least change the colour to red when you go over, or beep, as an option. Again, Waze’s implementation with its speedometer turning red and popping signs works very well. It is a convenience feature, though, so I am not sure why Apple decided to add it at all.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.