Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has picked up its first animated TV series, a new show called "Central Park" developed by Loren Bouchard, well-known for popular cartoon "Bob's Burgers."

According to Variety, the animated series is a "musical comedy" written by Bouchard, Josh Gad, and Nora Smith. It's said to tell the story of how a family of caretakers who live in Central Park in New York City end up saving the park and the world.

bobsburgers-800x450.jpg

Apple has ordered 26 episodes of the show in total, split into two 13-episode seasons. "Central Park" is produced by 20th Century Fox and stars Josh Gad, Leslie Odom Jr., Titus Burgess, Kristen Bell, Stanley Tucci, Daveed Diggs, and Kathryn Hahn.

This marks the 12th known television show that Apple has invested in so far.

Other TV shows Apple is working on include an untitled morning show drama starring Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon, an "Amazing Stories" reboot from Steven Spielberg, an untitled space drama from Battlestar Galactica creator Ronald D. Moore, a series written by "La La Land" creator Damien Chazelle, a Kristen Wiig comedy series, See, an epic world-building drama, Home, a docuseries focusing on incredible homes, "Little America," an anthology series from "The Big Sick" creators Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon, Swagger, a drama based on the early life and career of NBA star Kevin Durant, and a psychological thriller produced by M. Night Shyamalan.

Additional detail on all of Apple's TV projects can be found in the original content section of our Apple TV roundup.

Article Link: Apple Orders New 'Central Park' Animated Comedy From 'Bob's Burgers' Creator

Reactions: jjm3

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
In which app will be able to watch these shows?

Not the ‘Music’ app, surely...?

So will the TV app be update to have an ‘Apple TV’ tab, but only for Apple Music subscribers?

Or are Apple planning an Apple TV subscription service, a bit like Netflix?

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013

So will the TV app be update to have an ‘Apple TV’ tab, but only for Apple Music subscribers?

My guess (and a lot of peoples') is that Apple is planning a subscription TV service to rival Netflix - the shows they are picking up are part of their original content offering in addition to the stuff from the other studios.

As a side note this is one of the first shows Apple has picked up that I'd actually be interested in.

Reactions: BMcCoy

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Love Bob's, in fact, it's on in the background right now :D

I love Bob's too!

It's funny that the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover episode made fun of the fact that Bob's can't stand on its own.

But I guess Bob's did OK after all. They've lasted 8 seasons!

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I love Bob's too!

It's funny that the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover episode made fun of the fact that Bob's can't stand on its own.

But I guess Bob's did OK after all. They've lasted 8 seasons!

I loved that shot of Peter, Homer and Bob in the bi-plane. Three classic dads.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I loved that shot of Peter, Homer and Bob in the bi-plane. Three classic dads.

Yep! That's what I was talking about.

I just thought it was funny that they said Bob's Burgers wasn't performing well.

Lately I prefer to watch Bob's instead of Family Guy (and I haven't been a fan of the Simpsons in a decade) :p

Reactions: Rafterman

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London

As crazy as iTunes selling TV Shows? It’ll be interesting to see what Apple do, and how they brand these subscriptions.

I’m sure there will be people who don’t want Apple Music, who might be interested in a TV subcription. For those people, having original TV content under the Apple Music brand might be offputting.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
As crazy as iTunes selling TV Shows? It’ll be interesting to see what Apple do, and how they brand these subscriptions.

I’m sure there will be people who don’t want Apple Music, who might be interested in a TV subcription. For those people, having original TV content under the Apple Music brand might be offputting.

Yeah... someone might be interested in one service but not another.

But I wonder if Apple will ever make a package of services. One price. Stop nickel-n-diming for every little thing. (if you want all those services, of course)

It's kinda like Amazon Prime. I get Prime for the free shipping... but I can also watch TV shows and movies. And some music too. And I think Prime has magazines now (?)

It would be cool to get Apple Music, Apple TV shows, some iCloud storage, etc, for one price. I hate multiple charges every month.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Yep! That's what I was talking about.

I just thought it was funny that they said Bob's Burgers wasn't performing well.

Lately I prefer to watch Bob's instead of Family Guy (and I haven't been a fan of the Simpsons in a decade) :p

"We let that other guy try, and look what happened."

(shot of Cleveland in another bi-plan, crashing. "No, no, no, no!")

Reactions: Michael Scrip
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.