Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nearly two weeks after Fitbit first announced the Fitbit Versa, reviews for the new smartwatch have now emerged online today. Many of the reviewers agreed on the following points: the Versa is a step above last year's Fitbit Ionic, trading off GPS and NFC is worth it for the $200 price tag, and Fitbit still hasn't launched a device that could properly challenge the Apple Watch's dominance.

The Verge started off by pointing out that text message notifications on the Versa are clunky for iOS users, especially because "there's no way to respond to them" from the watch. Android users will have a "quick replies" feature updated in May, and because of this and other factors The Verge ultimately explained that the Fitbit Versa could appeal to "everyone other than those hardcore Apple users."

the-verge-fitbit-versa.jpg
Image by Vjeran Pavic via The Verge

So it all comes down to how much you want to pay, how tied into the Apple ecosystem you are, and how much you care about battery life. Fitbit may have a hard time luring away hardcore Apple fans, especially since the Versa is coming to market years after the original Apple Watch. On the flip side, it may be appealing to Android users, as Google's Wear OS smartwatch platform has stagnated at this point.
Engadget said that while the Versa looks like a "slightly wider Apple Watch," it's also the "best-looking Fitbit yet." To get the Versa to its $200 price point, Fitbit removed some features from the standard version of the smartwatch, like GPS and NFC, but Engadget said that this price drop is what could help the company "reach a bigger audience" in the future.
Ultimately, the things that stand out about the Fitbit Versa are its sub-$200 price and attractive design -- this is a Fitbit that finally looks more like a smartwatch than a fitness tracker. With the addition of female health tracking in May, the Versa could be even more helpful to women. It's disappointing that GPS isn't built in and NFC is missing, but those tradeoffs may help Fitbit reach a bigger audience.
In its review, Ars Technica called Fitbit's fitness app the "best health and fitness program for any wearable," thanks to its flexibility to adapt to both workout novices and experts. The site liked how the $39.99/year Fitbit Coach service integrated with Versa, although the wearable experience is still lacking in comparison to the mobile app.

ars-fitbit-versa-cradle.jpg
Image by Valentina Palladino via Ars Technica

However, Fitbit has the opportunity to make its wearable operating system just as killer as its mobile application and overall ecosystem--if it can do that, its devices will be strong contenders in the smartwatch world. It may not have made a splash as Fitbit's first smartwatch, but if any device can entice users to take a chance on Fitbit as their smartwatch provider, it's the $200 Versa.
As a quick tidbit, most of today's reviews mentioned that the process of swapping out bands on the Fitbit Versa is far more difficult when compared to Apple Watch. A few also commented that the Versa's bezels are sometimes noticeable in certain lighting situations, with The Verge further pointing out that Fitbit "had enough space to cram the word "fitbit" onto the watchface, a questionable design choice."

More opinions on the Fitbit Versa can be found online at the following websites: Wareable, TechCrunch, CNET, Tom's Guide, Gizmodo, and PCMag.

Article Link: Fitbit Versa Reviews: Solid Smartwatch Option at $200 Unlikely to Lure Away Apple Watch Owners

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Luring away Apple Watch users on iPhone could be tricky and I don't think the cost is the issue. Macy's discounted the Series 1 to $150 yesterday. Target and Best Buy consistently have sales at $189.

I wouldn't be surprised if Series 1 begins at $200 when the Series 4 is released this fall.

otrfan84128

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2007
Utah
Considering the cavalier attitude Fitbit has displayed about ongoing support of their products on macOS, I wouldn't take one of these if they gave them away. Have you ever dealt with their support? Have you ever tried to get a software update that is compatible with the latest macOS? Forget Fitbit, they will soon pass into history (ask Pebble owners, too).

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
FitBit needs to work on their product quality and customer support. I had a ChargeHR that fell apart at the band after 6 months. When I called in to request a warranty replacement, they accused me of buying from a "non-authorized" store and refused to entertain warranty. Now, how the hell is the customer supposed to keep track of what is an authorized store and what is not? I bought an Apple Watch 2 & have no intention of looking back at FitBit everafter.

Shalev

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2015
i just cant understand why would anyone consider this from the start...?

same as earphones, home speaker, routers, tablets and laptops... the ecosystem and the products so complete that adding those 3rd party devices just get in the way

Reactions: walex19

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Goodness that thing is hideous. It’s like someone stomped on an Apple Watch. As an Android phone user (and an iPhone user on my main phone line) I can’t say that would lure me away even from my two year old Samsung watches.

I take back every negative thought or word I have had about Jony Ive. The man and his team at Apple are geniuses compared to whoever it is at these companies who design these atrocities that they intend for us to wear almost 24x7.

Is it that hard to design a fitness SmartWatch that is shaped nicely, sized to fit a range of adult wrists, made of attractive and relatively non-irritating materials, with bands that are easy to swap in and out yet stay put when they are supposed to? Oh and don’t stop working or fall apart in under a year.

Looking at what’s been released for these past several years, apparently it’s almost impossible. Samsung and other manufacturers for the Android market manage to check some of these requirements but only Apple manages to get all of them. I have had an Apple Watch fail on me in under a year but that’s not the norm and at least I could have easily gotten it fixed if I wanted to.

Since I do own and love two Android phones and have contemplated a complete move to Android when my iPhone 8 Plus is no longer viable, I have been researching my option for smart watches. The reviews and comments have not been very encouraging. And the design and sizes of what would be available to me as a woman with slender wrists is very frustrating and off-putting.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
I can’t see this latest Fitbit attempt being a great option for most iPhone owners.

AW series 1 can be found on sale for under $300 and it’s so much more refined and useful. And imo, more fashionable.

Plus, Fitbit doesn’t integrate with the Apple Health app. (Which pushed me away from buying a high-end Fitbit last year toward an AW.)

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
FitBit needs to work on their product quality and customer support. I had a ChargeHR that fell apart at the band after 6 months. When I called in to request a warranty replacement, they accused me of buying from a "non-authorized" store and refused to entertain warranty. Now, how the hell is the customer supposed to keep track of what is an authorized store and what is not? I bought an Apple Watch 2 & have no intention of looking back at FitBit everafter.
I think that's part of the problem. FitBit is known for inexpensive fitness trackers - so inexpensive that it isn't a hassle for the buyer to replace it rather than repair it. A company like FitBit doesn't have the infrastructure to service their devices where a major consumer electronics manufacturer does.

Reactions: roncron

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Purely anecdotal, but most of the people I see with fitbits are people who are semi-interested in fitness tracking, and dont want to spend more then $100-150 on it.
They should stick to their strengths then, very few people will pick this over an Apple Watch.

People who are serious about fitness are more likely to buy a Fitbit charge. I don’t see this appealing to any specific group.

Reactions: roncron

BSG75

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2015
Tennessee
I've had a number of FitBit products. They seem to have a maximum life of about 18 months, in some cases even less. Their design is terrible and so is their customer service. They're cheaply made, but the price isn't necessarily cheap.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

jkdsteve

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
...and to think I thought the Apple Watch was ugly when it was first release...this one really takes the biscuit! Maybe this one will grow on me too?

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
I've had a number of FitBit products. They seem to have a maximum life of about 18 months, in some cases even less. Their design is terrible and so is their customer service. They're cheaply made, but the price isn't necessarily cheap.
I have owned only one, a Fitbit Blaze, which, when I bought my Apple Watch 3, was still working just fine, after 2 years of use. The only issue I have with Fitbit is the lack of integration with Apple Health. That's one reason I bought the AW3. However, I do miss the full sleep feature of the Blaze and from my point of view, works better and is more accurate then any of the Apps available for the AW3, even the ones you have to purchase.

Reactions: cote32mt and nnoble

creediddy

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
The Fitbit Blaze was cheesy. Now this...Just look at the UI. It does not compete with Apple Watch at all. Just another fitness tracker with limited capabilities.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
My FItbit Blaze did not recover from it’s third full cycle wash in my shirt pocket. It worked just as well there as on my wrist when I wanted to wear a conventional watch. Had I been at home I would have almost certainly replaced it with another FItbit. I could have waited but the quick and easy option in China was an AW3. I hesitated long and hard but i’m delighted. Charging was my biggest concern but in practice it t is turned out to be a non issue given that it only requires a quick charge every third day while i’m having a shower and eating breakfast. Now my only concern is that old habits die hard. I like wearing my Skagen watch and i’ve convinced myself the AW3 will continue to carry out basic functions in my shirt or trouser pocket now and again. The Fitbits do their job well and at a price that suits very many. They are not a ‘cheap AW” - they’re Fitbits and they’re ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: tny

terrywfoster

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
I like this. I bought an Apple Watch and sent it back. My Fitbit Charge 2 does more of what I am looking for than Apple does for me.

Reactions: cote32mt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.