Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Users of popular Mac desktop extension app Duet Display are being advised not to update to macOS 10.13.4, due to "critical bugs" that prevent the software from communicating with connected iOS devices used as extra displays.

When installed on a Mac and an iPad (or iPhone) and the two devices are connected using a Lightning cable or 30-pin connector, Duet allows users to extend their macOS desktop space on the Retina display of the iOS device. However, unspecified changes in the latest update to macOS High Sierra, released by Apple yesterday, causes the Duet client app to hang, and users are being advised to hold back from upgrading, at least for now.

duet-display-800x283.jpg

Duet's developers are recommending that users contact Apple through the company's online bug reporting form to get the issue prioritized. In the meantime, the developers are "actively looking" into workarounds to reinstate Duet's functionality in macOS 10.13.4.

Duet Display is priced at $19.99 in the App Store, and unlocking the Pro features to turn the iPad Pro into a drawing tablet costs an additional $19.99 per year through an in-app subscription. Duet Display is available from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Update: Users of other desktop extension apps like Air Display and iDisplay are also reporting incompatibility with macOS 10.13.4. DisplayLink-enabled USB graphics devices are also reportedly affected. There's some speculation that Apple's added eGPU support in 10.13.4 is the underlying cause of the issues. We'll keep readers updated if we hear more.

Article Link: Mac Desktop Extension Software Duet Display Rendered Inoperable in macOS 10.13.4 [Updated]

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Not a bug at all; 10.13.4 only supports displays which are directly connected by a GPU or by AirPlay.

Removing the clutter

Like battery estimates.

I still modify battery.menu to output battery
Time predictions on 10.12.6 even tho they scrapped it after .1 or .2 or something

Apple can’t come up w new features so new features has to be taking away features.

Baletin

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2012
Could you please explain how to roll back to 10.13.3 without using time machine? PLEASE

hegedusa

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2018
I've known that Duet doesn't work with MacOS 10.13.4 because I'm in the beta software programme from Apple. Duet have known about this problem for a while too, and they've told me they're actively working on a fix, which should be released shortly. They're pretty good at responding to emails and the message I got was that they are releasing a fix, and although Apple broke it with the latest update, I didn't get the impression that they were waiting for Apple to fix it.

rahulda1

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2016
Man, I wonder if it just broke with the final version of the software or if Duet wasn't beta testing. That sucks just updated and I was using Duet with the Ekahau site survey and designing floor plans.

Hey Ortiz,

We do extensive beta testing, this is not our issue. It has been an issue in every beta.

Reactions: PBookPro

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I've known that Duet doesn't work with MacOS 10.13.4 because I'm in the beta software programme from Apple. Duet have known about this problem for a while too, and they've told me they're actively working on a fix, which should be released shortly. They're pretty good at responding to emails and the message I got was that they are releasing a fix, and although Apple broke it with the latest update, I didn't get the impression that they were waiting for Apple to fix it.

Maybe Apple broke it because they’ll have their own native duet soon? And they wanna pave the way for getting people off of it now?

SimeoneSergio

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2012
London UK
Not a bug at all; 10.13.4 only supports displays which are directly connected by a GPU or by AirPlay.
Fantastic news then... Not sure how many others are in my situation but i bought an iPad to use it as second screen and I already have some problems with Intuos pro drivers...

I technically understand their choice though, it wouldn’t be bad to think about a solution that gives users possibility to do what the software allows us...

Let’s see what happens next :|

Reactions: <==BlackBird==>

rahulda1

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2016

Hey,

Our update is more of a very extensive workaround. We would still prefer a fix from Apple.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
I’ve been saying this for a year now and it still holds true: if you rely on your Mac for work, you can no longer trust Apple.

I have lost all faith in Apple’s ability to release software updates that do not break critical functions. There has not been a single major dot release in the last two years that has not broken something critical to my workflow. Not a single one.

After High Sierra is stable, I will not update my Macs for nearly a year until the next OS has stabilized. It never used to be this way with Apple, but unfortunately, this is what they’ve become.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Users of popular Mac desktop extension app Duet Display are being advised not to update to macOS 10.13.4, due to "critical bugs" that prevent the software from communicating with connected iOS devices used as extra displays.

When installed on a Mac and an iPad (or iPhone) and the two devices are connected using a Lightning cable or 30-pin connector, Duet allows users to extend their macOS desktop space on the Retina display of the iOS device. However, unspecified changes in the latest update to macOS High Sierra, released by Apple yesterday, causes the Duet client app to hang, and users are being advised to hold back from upgrading, at least for now.

duet-display-800x283.jpg

The critical issue was highlighted by Duet's ex-Apple developers in a blog post on the Duet support site, quoted from below.
Duet's developers are recommending that users contact Apple through the company's online bug reporting form to get the issue prioritized. In the meantime, the developers are "actively looking" into workarounds to reinstate Duet's functionality in macOS 10.13.4.

Duet Display is priced at $19.99 in the App Store, and unlocking the Pro features to turn the iPad Pro into a drawing tablet costs an additional $19.99 per year through an in-app subscription. Duet Display is available from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Mac Desktop Extension Software Duet Display Rendered Inoperable in macOS 10.13.4
This was an issue all throughout the beta period. I let the developer know early on.
[doublepost=1522414141][/doublepost]
I’ve been saying this for a year now and it still holds true: if you rely on your Mac for work, you can no longer trust Apple.

I have lost all faith in Apple’s ability to release software updates that do not break critical functions. There has not been a single major dot release in the last two years that has not broken something critical to my workflow. Not a single one.

After High Sierra is stable, I will not update my Macs for nearly a year until the next OS has stabilized. It never used to be this way with Apple, but unfortunately, this is what they’ve become.

To be fair, Duet Display is essentially a hack. It isn’t as if Apple intended the iPad to be used as an extended display for a Mac. If they did, they’d have built it in themselves.

HowieIsaacks

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
Addison, TX
The maker of Duet obviously wasn't doing testing, or they just didn't move fast enough to fix their software. I used to use Duet, but when Continuity and Handoff debuted, I no longer need it. I can transfer what I'm doing to my iPad when I need more screen space.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
To be fair, Duet Display is essentially a hack. It isn’t as if Apple intended the iPad to be used as an extended display for a Mac. If they did, they’d have built it in themselves.

I’m not sure I understand your logic. Are you suggesting that any software not produced by Apple does not matter?

expiredyogurt

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2016
not america
didnt know about this, i so happened to picked up the new ipad already and would like to use it as a second display. maybe i should look into it but the fact that it is not working with the latest software version makes me hesitant to purchase it....

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!

Hmmm....I use one every day for work (network engineer) and I would not have it any other way.

My only real complaint is when I have to use my USB to serial adapter to console into piece of equipment on site. USB-C to USB-A dongle, Keyspan USB-A to serial dongle, null modem cable to device or serial to ethernet to device. It is quite the frankestein setup in those cases....but it works every time.

I live in Omnigraffle Pro, Safari, Terminal, Secure CRT, mail, Excel, Word, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.