Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in February, Feral Interactive announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration would make its way onto macOS this spring. The title is a port of the 2016 PS4 game and the sequel to the series reboot Tomb Raider from 2013.

In a follow-up announcement today, Feral revealed an April 12 release date for the title as well as pricing and the official system requirements that Mac owners will need in order to run the game at an acceptable performance.

rise-of-the-tomb-raider-macos-800x638.jpg

As well as AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards, Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration will support the following Intel integrated graphics cards: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 540, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 550, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 and Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650.

Feral says the game will be supported on the following Macs:
All 13-inch MacBook Pros released since 2016
All 15-inch MacBook Pros released since Late 2013 with a 2.3GHz processor or better
All 21.5-inch iMacs released since Late 2017
All 27-inch iMacs released since Late 2013 (models with an Nvidia GT 755M graphics card are not officially supported)*
All Mac Pros released since Late 2013*Late 2012 models with a 2GB Nvidia 680MX graphics cards are also supported.

Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration can be pre-ordered on the Feral Store for $59.99, which includes the base game and all the DLC ever released for it. It's also worth checking your Mac's hard disk space before purchasing the game: Customers who download it from the Mac App Store will need 37GB of available storage, while purchases from Steam will come in at a less weightier 27GB.

Article Link: 'Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration' Release Date and Mac Requirements Revealed

m.x

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
Feral says the game will be supported on the following Macs:
All 13-inch MacBook Pros released since 2016
All 15-inch MacBook Pros released since Late 2013 with a 2.3GHz processor or better
All 21.5-inch iMacs released since Late 2017
All 27-inch iMacs released since Late 2014 (models with an Nvidia GT 755M graphics card are not officially supported)*
All Mac Pros released since Late 2013

Well, that's one way to phrase it :confused:

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
The third game in the trilogy is expected to be shown off on April 27th. For release September 14th. Not for Mac, but you know, by 2020 maybe.

Scooz

Suspended
Apr 9, 2012
Can I install the mac version from Steam when I own the PC game on Steam?

jacjustjac

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
New York, NY
I wish I had the time and desk space to game. If I did I’d have bought a reasonable desktop PC a while ago. I have three Macs (MBP15, MBA11, iM21.5), but none are newer than Late 2013. They’re still all great and used constantly for video editing, but I wouldn’t waste precious SSD space (or precious cash on a new machine) just to game on them. I have a PS4 that never gets turned on but when it does it’s for indie games (Duck Games ftw) and highly optimized platform specific titles like Naughty Dogs Last of Us Remastered and Uncharted. And now that consoles require disk to drive installs, it’s fine with me that those games sit unused on the PS4’s hard drive than taking up space on my Mac’s hard drive.
For the price of a new Mac, I could get a 4K TV and the latest 4K console or gaming PC and not feel like I’ve wasted a lot of money because the 4K TV would have other purposes and the console isn’t that expensive relatively. But the Mac is for work, and having games on it would distract from its purpose (I have my phone games to distract me if I need a distraction from work, haha)

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
Can I install the mac version from Steam when I own the PC game on Steam?

Usually yes, but sometimes games are relisted on Steam as special editions, which means owners of the original version don't get new ports for free.

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
A port of a 2 year old game that will passably run on a $2000 Mac.

Apple won’t put gaming graphics cards in their computers.

I don’t know why we get these half assed ports 2 years late.

You can buy this game for $10 on Steam.
It's a pain that the graphics cards aren't great and we have to wait, but if there's one thing Feral don't do, it's half-assed ports. Since they've started using Metal, they usually run at least as well as Windows versions in Boot Camp on the same machine. (F1 2016 ran a little bit better, in fact.)

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
Given how difficult it is to set up controllers on Tomb Raider for Mac (also ported by Feral), I would be wary of anything else put out by this company.

Reactions: H2SO4

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Isn’t part of the issue that Apple uses an older version of OpenGL, and that they’d rather developers use Metal? I’d imagine that takes some time to port over from what is likely a DirectX title on PC.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Isn’t part of the issue that Apple uses an older version of OpenGL, and that they’d rather developers use Metal? I’d imagine that takes some time to port over from what is likely a DirectX title on PC.
Very first sentence in the article:
Back in February, Feral Interactive announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration would make its way onto macOS this spring, as a direct port of the 2016 PS4 game and the sequel to the series reboot Tomb Raider from 2013.

Reactions: Darmok N Jalad

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Given how difficult it is to set up controllers on Tomb Raider for Mac (also ported by Feral), I would be wary of anything else put out by this company.
To be fair, controllers are just traditionally hard to set up on Macs. But... why would you want to use a controller?

Marconelly

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
I wonder if this is going to support the external GPU rendering on a built in MBP display. So far that feature has been announced by Apple, but I don’t think there’s a single game that supports it.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
All 27-inch iMacs released since Late 2014 (models with an Nvidia GT 755M graphics card are not officially supported)*
*Late 2012 models with a 2GB Nvidia 680MX graphics cards are also supported.
Do they mean all 27" iMacs since Late 2013 are supported, not just Late 2014 iMacs? By including the Late 2012 iMac with GTX 680MX and excluding the GT 755M which is a Late 2013 iMac, they seem to be saying that Late 2013 iMacs with GTX 775M and GTX 780M are supported.

matt3526

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Can't believe this won't even run on '13 Macbook Pro late 2015. The machine is not even 3 years old yet.

The 13 inch models don’t have discrete gpus and so are just not powerful enligh to run it. What you said is akin to me complaining that my brand new iPhone won’t run it, or that my Apple TV won’t run it, or that my watch won’t run it for that matter

EatinPonies

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
Seriously, this is an incredible game. Played through it to 100% on my Xbox one and it's one of my favorite games of all time.

...that said, I'm selling my Xbox One disc for $10. (Not kidding)

Reactions: vkd

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
What you're describing is not this: "...from what is likely a DirectX title on PC." <= That is what I was responding to in my comment. It is not a port from a DirectX title on PC.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm also saying he's not wrong either. Most games, and in fact a lot of technical software (CAD/CAM), have converged to DirectX because of the PC and the write-once debug-everywhere problems of OpenGL.

Even Google Chrome and Firefox translate and recompile WebGL into Direct3D on Windows.

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm also saying he's not wrong either. Most games, and in fact a lot of technical software (CAD/CAM), have converged to DirectX because of the PC and the write-once debug-everywhere problems of OpenGL.

Even Google Chrome and Firefox translate and recompile WebGL into Direct3D on Windows.
I hope you understand you're arguing a different point. The game is clearly not a DirectX port from PC. It is a port from the PS4. No matter how you explain the backend similarities, it won't make this game a DirectX from PC. There's nothing in that quote from Darmok that says or even implies anything you're saying. He even chalked his mistake up to "Monday morings". If this was a DirectX port from PC, chances are, the article would have said PC instead of PS4. If I'm honest, not really sure where the disconnect is. You may be arguing a totally different point.

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
Feral started with the Windows version and ported that to Mac. That’s the kind of studio they are, and it’s the most logical path when a Windows version already exists. Don’t take the article literally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.