Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is encouraging customers who have previously trialed Apple Music, but were not convinced to pay for the service, to try it again.

apple-music-try-it-again-800x432.jpg

For several months, some users who have already taken advantage of Apple Music's initial free three-month trial period, but do not currently have a subscription, have been offered an additional month of complimentary access.

Apple has been alerting users to the offer at random with push notifications and emails in several countries, including the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and Hong Kong. It's unclear what the exact parameters are to qualify, but it may be limited to users who trialed Apple Music prior to its iOS 10 redesign.

"Come see what you've been missing in the new Apple Music, like a simpler design that makes finding what you want, and discovering new music, easier than ever," says Apple's email, which contains a unique code to redeem the offer.

For users who are alerted about the offer via push notification, tapping on it brings them to a landing page with steps to redeem the code.

apple-music-one-month-trial-800x1203.jpg
Apple Music offer via Reddit user ashindn1l3

Apple has been carrying out this promotion for at least six months, but the only way to take advantage of the offer appears to be by waiting and hoping for the push notification or email to arrive. It's unclear if the offer extends to customers who used the three-month trial, paid for a period of time, and later canceled.

Apple Music has around 40 million paid subscribers across 115 countries, plus around eight million people enrolled in a trial, according to Apple.

Article Link: Apple Music Continues to Offer Free Extra Month to Previous Trial Customers Who Never Subscribed

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I must admit in the last two years of being an Apple Music member (or since the service first launched) I've only ever paid for around six months' worth.

I like Apple Music compared to Spotify but there are quirks in the system which don't make it easy to use sometimes!

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
Did that, unsibscribed again. The price is too high, I’ll stick with Spotify free tier and buy the songs I really like. When and if Apple Music drops to £5 or less I might reconsider.

98 others

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2016
PA
Did that, unsibscribed again. The price is too high, I’ll stick with Spotify free tier and buy the songs I really like. When and if Apple Music drops to £5 or less I might reconsider.

Totally agree. I would absolutely subscribe if it were 5.

ncollingridge

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
I doubt the customers that didn't buy in previously are "waiting and hoping" for this promotion.

Quite. I am bought in to Echo now as well as iPhone, Mac etc, and Spotify does the job really well for me on all the platforms I use. Why would I jump ship to Apple Music only to be limited to Apple devices?

Reactions: Doodah7

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
Quite. I am bought in to Echo now as well as iPhone, Mac etc, and Spotify does the job really well for me on all the platforms I use. Why would I jump ship to Apple Music only to be limited to Apple devices?

It’s not limited to Apple devices? It’s available on a lot of other platforms like Sonos, the other mobile OS, and even Windows. It may not be on Echo, but it’s definitely not an Apple-exclusive service that limits you to Apple devices.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
At this point, any new subscriber is pure profit. It costs them zero to keep on adding more users. So they're going to continue to push music hard.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
It's 5 bucks if you're a student. Also... How the hell do you guys survive in the pre-streaming era? The price of two Starbucks coffees a month for essentially access to all the music available is mind boggling to me.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
It's 5 bucks if you're a student. Also... How the hell do you guys survive in the pre-streaming era? The price of two Starbucks coffees a month for essentially access to all the music available is mind boggling to me.

My objection to AM isn't necessarily the price, or even my disdain for subscription services that leave you with nothing. I don't understand how you streaming era people are comfortable trusting all of your media to an internet connection!? And that's not to mention the absolute mess AM makes of your personal music library, or the headaches it creates for everyone not subscribed.

SidricTheViking

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2014
Had this one month recently. Used it for the month and that was it. If it comes around again I’ll be happy to use it for free for another month. Not a big music user so the subscription doesn’t appeal to me. When they add a significant amount of video, then it’ll become attractive. ‘Horses for courses!’

emdub

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2005
Sintra, Portugal
I doubt the customers that didn't buy in previously are "waiting and hoping" for this promotion.

Actually, although I'm a big fan of Spotify, I would try Apple Music again. It's early version really failed when comparing to Spotify, but I've read and heard it's matured nicely. Early adopter that I am, I was on it on day 1, so another month now might sway me given the integration in the Apple ecosystem.

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
I had previously taken advantage of the initial three-month trial but didn't subscribe. Back around the end of December I got an email from Apple telling me of all the changes they had made to Apple Music and an offer for another three-month trial. The deadline to sign up was December 29 (so they could count me as a member on December 31 I suspect), but I didn't sign up again. I own all my music and use iTunes Match to stream it to my phone. It isn't worth the extra $100 to stream new music since there is extremely little that I like.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I keep almost cancelling iTunes Match... in fact I wouldn't be surprised if Apple end up trying to bump Match users on Apple Music eventually.

If they wanted to convince me they were serious about music they wouldn't have ditched the headphone Jack socket on newer iPhones though. So ... meh.

Reactions: Shirasaki

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
This encapsulates the problem I am having with Apple products and services now. Why should I tie myself to an Apple ecosystem that is proprietary, expensive, and makes it difficult to use non Apple services and products?

You can say it’s not Apples responsibility to work with competitors or non Apple products, and you’re right. But it’s not my responsibility to use Apple when it’s expensive, difficult, or limits my options

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012

I agree. If you listen to pop though I can see it as a rip off. Most people will listen to all the songs they want through the radio.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

My opinion contradicts for yours entirely. I’m someone that has never taken advantage of the free trial to begin with, and now that I know the Apple is offering one additional month, I’m more intrigued to take advantage of it. I think this is a great thing that Apple is offering, because it is more of a reminder that it’s there for those who May have forgotten about the original trial, who have not yet subscribed and what not a better way to coax the user into the service for a free month. Rather the user chooses to take advantage of this or not, is strictly up to them.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I like the idea of having all your music with you to stream but I find all the streaming services just have to many gaps either missing artists or albums having tracks greyed out.

I don't listen to much new music so I'm probably best just sticking with my own library for now.

Reactions: Grey Area

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I blew my 3 month trial when I was using the buggy Android beta version when the app would crash or worse pause tracks randomly bailey touched AM while still paying for Play Music. Only after the Android app became stable, dropping Play Music because of the poor sound quality I had to pay to use it again to see if was stable and I no free months. At least paying for the year I still get 2 free months out of it.

rom3o

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2014
[...] and now that I know the Apple is offering one additional month, I’m more intrigued to take advantage of it.
If you never used the trail period, you still only get three months when starting the trial just now. No changes for you here.

It’s a second trial/incentive for those (or as it seems: only some of those) users who already used the three months trial in the past but didn’t sign up for a paid subscription afterwards.

Not showing up in Germany though. Like the HomePod btw, sorry but I had to mentioned it.
E-Mails and system push notifications promoting Apple Music could be considered illegal advertising under German law (UWG § 7 Abs. 2 Nr. 3), if the user has not explicitly opted in for receiving such commercial information.

Last edited:

98 others

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2016
PA

When I was a student, Napster was being born. I don't listen to enough music now, with Podcasts and Audible, to justify spending more than 5 bucks a month. There is just too much (legally) free content out there to consume.

Reactions: PlayUltimate
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.