Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Say you want to look up a topic online, so you type a search word or phrase into Safari's address bar. The first link in the returned results looks promising, so you click it. On the site you're sent to, you see another link about a related topic, so you click that, too.

Moments later another link grabs your attention, and you check it out. Soon you're distracted by some other tangential subject, and before you know it you've fallen down a rabbit hole of clicks and links without finding out much about what you were actually looking for in the first place.

safari-snapback-1-800x500.jpg

If that sounds familiar, Safari SnapBack can help you. It's a long-standing feature of Apple's desktop web browser that's often overlooked, but saves having to tediously click the previous page button multiple times to return to your original search results, or start rooting through your web history to locate where your latest online meander began.

You can find it in Safari's menu bar, under History -> Search Results SnapBack, or even better, use its Command-Option-S keyboard shortcut. As the name suggests, SnapBack instantly takes you back to your original search results, although the function's availability depends on a couple of conditions.

safari-snapback-2-800x500.jpg

First, SnapBack only works if your wayward browsing occurred in the same tab that you used to initiate the search, so if a link you clicked on opened a new tab and you continued browsing in that, the SnapBack menu option will be grayed out. Second, the search needs to be performed from Safari's address bar or from the website of the search engine that Safari is set to use.

safari-snapback-3-800x261.jpg

To change the browser's default search engine, select Safari -> Preferences... from the menu bar, click the Search tab, and choose one from the Search engine: dropdown menu. Your options are Google, Yahoo, Bing, and DuckDuckGo. Next time you use the search engine you select and get lost in myriad clicks, SnapBack will be available to help get you back on track.

Article Link: How to Snap Back to Your Search Results When Browsing in a Safari Tab

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
Thought this feature had disappeared. Anyone know how to get a button in the toolbar assigned to this feature? Using the keyboard shortcut is not an option.

zahuh

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2004
Very cool! I was wondering where this feature went after Steve Jobs demoed it.

This is the kind of post I wish I could just like. Instead I have to write a comment. Would love a like feature MacRumors!

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Today I learned DuckDuckGo is a search engine that exists. I also learned Safari has a SnapBack feature that I will find very handy.

I think this is an example of where Apple’s quest for absolute GUI simplicity can have negative consequences.

The SnapBack feature used to have much more visibility when it was introduced; as noted above there was an orange icon indicating the ability to do something in the URL bar (which can lead a user to experiment).

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Somewhat off topic, but, more out of curiosity than anything else, what would liking like that accomplish?

I think some people want to show they approve or agree with a topic or post, but don't have anything to necessarily add to it. For me, it can also help keep erroneous posts and clutter down as well. My $.02

Reactions: Xenc

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think some people want to show they approve or agree with a topic or post, but don't have anything to necessarily add to it. For me, it can also help keep erroneous posts and clutter down as well. My $.02
I get those aspects of it, I was wondering more about liking it when it comes to the first post with the article itself (being posted by a bot basically), but I guess in the sense of showing appreciation of that type of article that perhaps the MR editors can see and maybe take note of, that can be useful.

mu6142

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
Is there way to get this feature when browsing other sites, like reddit.com or Facebook.com? That is, I need a hotkey that will return me to the root page after surfing links...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.