Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook on Tuesday said AirPods continue to be "incredibly popular" and a "runaway hit" for the company.

airpods.jpg

"AirPods are incredibly popular and we're seeing them in more and more places—in the gym, in coffee shops, wherever people are enjoying music on their Apple devices," said Cook, following Apple's earnings report. "This product is a runaway hit, and we're working hard to meet the incredible demand."

Apple does not disclose AirPod sales, and instead groups the wireless earphones into its broad "Other Products" category in earnings results, but there are at least a few reasons to believe they're very popular indeed.

For starters, Apple reported $3.9 billion revenue from its "Other Products" category in the March quarter, an impressive 38 percent increase over the year-ago quarter. Apple said its wearable and home products like the AirPods, Apple Watch, Apple TV, and HomePod accounted for over 90 percent of that growth.

Second, Apple said unit sales of both AirPods and the Apple Watch reached a new all-time high for the March quarter, without revealing specifics.

Third, since launching in December 2016, AirPods have rarely been in stock on Apple's online store. Orders placed today still face a one-week delivery estimate, suggesting Apple can't keep up with strong demand, may be experiencing mass production challenges, or some combination of those two factors.

Barclays analysts recently forecasted that AirPods shipments may approach 30 million units in 2018, while former KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo estimated 26-28 million shipments on the year.

Looking ahead, Apple plans to release a wireless charging case for AirPods to be used with its AirPower charging mat, slated for release in 2018. Beyond that, Mark Gurman reported that Apple may release new AirPods with "Hey Siri" functionality as early as this year, and a water-resistant pair as early as next year.

AirPods are available for $159 on Apple's online store. Limited supplies are also available at select Apple retail stores.

Article Link: Apple Says AirPods Are 'Incredibly Popular' as Availability Remains Limited

Last edited:

machumors90

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2017
ABQ
I updated to the new beta last night on my iPhone X.
When I get to work this morning, I had trouble connecting my AirPods to my phone automatically.
It shows the popup that says Pip's AirPods, but I don't hear the sound.
When I go to Bluetooth settings, it is not connected to the AirPods.
I had to manually select the AirPods in the settings and then I heard the sound.

Last edited:
Reactions: B60boy

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I take the analyst predictions with a grain of salt. Makes no sense to release two new versions of AirPods with minor upgrades over the next two years.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
I updated to the new beta last night.
When I get to work this morning, I had trouble connecting my AirPods to my phone automatically.
It shows the popup that says Pip's AirPods, but I don't hear the sound.
When I go to Bluetooth settings, it is not connected to the AirPods.
I had to manually select the AirPods in the settings and then I heard the sound.
That sometimes happens even on actual (non-beta) releases. Not sure where the bug lies but it’s not exclusive to the new beta.

*I’ve stopped using my iPhone 6 for betas-it’s too slow as it is, my iPad Pro however is usually on the most recent beta. I’ve had the AirPod issue you’ve described happen a few times and usually is stable most of the time-not switching devices and what not.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Undoubtedly this product has been extremely successful. And I don’t think it’s just because of them being wireless, it’s also because of the technology (ease of Pairing, pulling one AirPod out to play/pause music, ect) , the battery life coupled with the convenience of portability with the charging case. I think something else worth noting, is compared to the competition, they are priced affordably. The sound is adequate, loud and crisp.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Limited supplies? Is that really true or more Apple hyperbole?

I doubt the hyperbole. When my local stores do have stock, it seems they sell out rather quickly, which if you recall, these launched in December 2016. So that should tell you something that these are still incredibly popular product for the iPhone.

Reactions: surf2snow1

foxcub6

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
When u say upgraded to the ne beta are you talking about the AirPods or phone ? If it’s the air pods can you say what’s new if anything ? I’d like volume adjustment if poss

euvnairb

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Goleta, CA
I must admit that I was a skeptic at first and I recently just purchased them a few months ago, but these have been game changers for me. I love the no wires!! While the audio quality isn't the best, they are still very good to my untrained ears, and I love the ease of use with the pairing/unpairing. I use these with my iphone, my MBP, and my apple TV all seamlessly. Can't recommend these enough.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I still cannot believe my „curse“ of Apple Earphones continued with the AirPods. For some reason I always manage to break the left earphone without doing anything particularly wrong. They just stop working. They already replaced my left AirPod and today it stopped working again

Ex_arm

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2018
What a load of rubbish, no shortage, just not selling....just like the HomePod !

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
It's not hyperbole when Apple just keeps setting records in just about every category. FYI, if you want to order them today from Apple.com you have to wait about 10 days to get them.

Seems silly to include transit time in your figure. Apple Store app says ships in 3-5 days. The fact that they’re not listed as in stock makes the same point, but without the unnecessary exaggeration. Additionally, for what it’s worth the two Apple stores near me both have them available today. Maybe whoever decides where these things get shipped when they’re made is just doing a poor job. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Marekul and alllexx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.