Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has updated its service policy for a limited number of iPhone X units that may be experiencing issues with Face ID.

iphone-x-service-repair-fees.jpg

Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers are now authorized to perform a whole unit replacement for iPhone X units with Face ID issues, instead of a display repair, according to an internal document obtained by MacRumors.

Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers have been advised to first run diagnostics on the iPhone X's rear camera and potentially repair that system if necessary to see if that resolves the problem. If the issues persist, then a whole unit replacement is now permitted, the document states.

There appears to be some kind of link between failure of the iPhone X's rear camera and front TrueDepth system, although it's not entirely clear.

The document in full reads:
In order to provide the best customer experience, if a customer reports that their iPhone X is having Face ID issues, you may be able to resolve the issue with a rear camera repair. Run AST 2 on the customer's device to check the camera. If the diagnostics find issue with the camera, perform the repair to see if the issue is resolved. If the issue is not resolved, perform a whole unit replacement instead of a same-unit display repair.
Apple has not commented on this matter publicly, or launched any sort of official repair program, as these are internal guidelines.

Affected customers can book an appointment with an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Store via the Contact Apple Support page: iPhone -> Repairs & Physical Damage -> The Topic is Not Listed -> Bring In For Repair. Following those steps also presents options to contact Apple by phone or email.

Article Link: Apple Updates Repair Policy for iPhone X Units With Face ID Issues

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers are now authorized to perform a whole unit replacement for iPhone X units with Face ID issues, instead of a display repair.

The fix for FaceID/front camera issues has never been a display repair for iPhone X... as the FaceID technology/front facing camera are not located on the display itself like previous phones.

Reactions: thadoggfather

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
The fix for FaceID/front camera issues has never been a display repair for iPhone X... as the FaceID technology/front facing camera are not located on the display itself like previous phones.
Well, I'm only going off what Apple wrote in its document.

Also, an Apple Authorized Service Provider told me Face ID issues did require a display repair. I asked.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Well, I'm only going off what Apple wrote in its document.

Also, an Apple Authorized Service Provider told me Face ID issues did require a display repair. I asked.

That's interesting, but I spoke with a Genius admin a little under two weeks ago and they said FaceID issues, they replace the whole phone because display replacement almost never fixes it

can confirm, they did a display repair for a cracked display, it had FaceID issues, and I got a new phone

rom3o

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2014

Neither the quote from the repair document nor the rest of the article state such thing. o_O

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Apple has updated its service policy for a limited number of iPhone X units that may be experiencing issues with Face ID

If 16 million iPhone Xs were sold the last quarter, (according to the last financial statement) I wonder how many Face ID failures constitute as a "limited number"?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That's interesting, but I spoke with a Genius admin a little under two weeks ago and they said FaceID issues, they replace the whole phone because display replacement almost never fixes it

can confirm, they did a display repair for a cracked display, it had FaceID issues, and I got a new phone

In the second paragraph for your situation and potentially many others it’s most likely due to over set policy for repair timelines in store so swapping the device saves you time initially (iCloud restore not counting) and better happiness.

Although I’m not sure if you had AppleCare+ if that would carry forward to the replacement device.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
In the second paragraph for your situation and potentially many others it’s most likely due to over set policy for repair timelines in store so swapping the device saves you time initially (iCloud restore not counting) and better happiness.

Although I’m not sure if you had AppleCare+ if that would carry forward to the replacement device.

Nah I fleshed out the details they said faceID issues they are instructed to swap the device. Specifically because a display repair rarely fixes the issue. A repair of the display for faceID wasn’t an option, even not caring about timeline. I inquired because I didn’t wanna lose my jail broken device.

Fortunately the replacement came with 11.1 and was manufactured in November so it isn’t even a refurb. But I wouldn’t care about that at this point one way or another, just wanted a jailbreakable version and got lucky

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Fortunately the replacement came with 11.1 and was manufactured in November so it isn’t even a refurb. But I wouldn’t care about that at this point one way or another, just wanted a jailbreakable version and got lucky

I haven’t done it since iOS 6. Most of them have been semi-tethered and I’m not sure we’ll ever see another untethered JB ever again after 9.1. The last iPhone to have an untethered JB was the 6S! Unless there is some major breakthrough soon, that’s going to be 3 years. I remember the days when nearly every point release or at last major release had one really quickly. Jailbreakme was even more remarkable by being able to do it through Safari.

I wonder whether it has truly become almost impossible or if it’s mostly due to Apple’s bounty program. There is no question that it takes much more skill and effort than ever before whatever the reason is.

Reactions: thadoggfather

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I’ve had FaceID problems since launch.

It works fine for a few weeks, then stops working / identifying me all together. It just rejects and prompts me for my passcode almost instantly.

Resetting/retraining Face ID doesn’t fix it, but a full reset/restore does. I’ve stopped using it altogether due to the hassle.

(Anyone else had this same issue?)

I guess I will make a appointment and see what’s happens.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

It works fine for a few weeks, then stops working / identifying me all together. It just rejects and prompts me for my passcode almost instantly.

Resetting/retraining Face ID doesn’t fix it, but a full reset/restore does. I’ve stopped using it altogether due to the hassle.

I’ve had mine since late November and I haven’t reset the phone or Face ID once, so by your description it’s worth going to the Apple Store.

Reactions: 44267547

gene731

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015

I have had mine since early December and so far, for me, I have had zero issues with FaceId

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
If 16 million iPhone Xs were sold the last quarter, (according to the last financial statement) I wonder how many Face ID failures constitute as a "limited number"?
Probably thousands. Enough for Apple to issue an updated policy but not big enough for a recall.

Reactions: arkitect

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota
My FaceID slowly stopped working about a week after I got mine around launch. It would no longer unlock and if you redid the setup it would not detect your face in the square to continue the setup. They replaced the phone without much of a fuss at the time.

Pipsone

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2018
When I first purchased my iPhone X I had this issue. At first I thought it was from the case but after a while it still wouldn’t let me use FaceID or portrait mode on the front camera. The back camera worked fine. But after talking with Apple reps online they had one of supervisors talk to me. After a week of phone tag they told me to go to the Apple store and get it replaced. This was around November/December.

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
Finally issues wrt FaceID as mentioned during earlier days after launch is acknowledged! Now you have committed millions of consumers !

tito2020

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2011
My FaceID slowly stopped working about a week after I got mine around launch. It would no longer unlock and if you redid the setup it would not detect your face in the square to continue the setup. They replaced the phone without much of a fuss at the time.
its funny how this news comes out afer sales of iphone

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

The 16 million was according to an analysts prediction, not Apples financial statement ;)

Apple do seem to replace whole units often for issues, probably easier and cheaper for them as they aren’t paying genius staff to fiddle with them.

Reactions: Glideslope

djeeyore25

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2014
New York City

Same here, though it's rather sporadic. Sometimes I'll stare directly into the lens and my iPhone won't detect anything. However, if I turn the phone off and on again it'll work. I don't think it's the lens in my case, rather just inconsistent technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.