Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Toronto's TTC transit system, the fourth largest in North America, may eventually support Apple Pay for fare payments.

presto-ttc-apple-pay-800x533.jpg
A rough mockup of the PRESTO card in Apple's Wallet app

Metrolinx, the transit agency that manages integration of the PRESTO card system in the Greater Toronto Area, recently detailed plans to support mobile payments within the coming years, according to the Toronto Star.

Apple contacted Metrolinx last Wednesday to set up a related meeting, the agency said. The report suggests there are a few compatibility issues between the PRESTO system and Apple Pay that would need to be resolved. For that reason, Metrolinx's rollout of mobile payments may start with Android smartphones.

Apple Pay support would enable commuters to hold a compatible iPhone or Apple Watch near a PRESTO card reader to pay their fare on streetcars, buses, and at turnstiles in subway stations throughout the TTC system. Mobile payments could extend to other Canadian cities with PRESTO like Hamilton and Ottawa.

The process is similar to using Apple Pay for in-store payments. Depending on the iPhone, that means double-pressing the home button or side button, authenticating with Touch ID or Face ID, and holding the device near the card reader. Apple Watch payments are also activated by double-pressing the side button.

Toronto would join a handful of cities with transit systems that already support Apple Pay, including Chicago, Portland, and Salt Lake City in the United States, Beijing and Shanghai in China, and other global cities like London and Tokyo.

Metrolinx said there is no firm timeline as to when the TTC will begin accepting mobile payments, but it sounds like a multi-year process.

(Thanks, Pedro!)

Article Link: Toronto's TTC Transit System May Eventually Support Apple Pay

Reactions: shurcooL

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Toronto TTC should focus on expanding their city coverage. 5 million people and only two subway lines and the city considers itself 'world class' ? What a joke.

If it weren't for the TTC being garbage, perhaps the 401 highway wouldn't look like this on a daily basis?

ShyZKhv.jpg

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Actually this past weekend I chose (forced) Uber over TTC because I didn’t have a presto card. Presto is one of the dumbest things we have to go along with a terrible public transport system. /endnegativity :D

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Only a handful of transit systems support this, hopefully more US ones will soon, especially SF, NY and LA.

At least most cities in the US have some sort of proprietary app for a pass.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
"Metrolinx said there is no firm timeline as to when the TTC will begin accepting mobile payments, but it sounds like a multi-year process."

That's a ****ing understatement. Presto was launched in 2009, and only became fully supported on the TTC Last year.

Anyway, I look forward to being able to use my iPhone X4 with Presto.
[doublepost=1525718220][/doublepost]
Toronto TTC should focus on expanding their city coverage. 5 million people and only two subway lines and the city considers itself 'world class' ? What a joke.
Maybe if the city weren't trying to spend $4 billion on a single subway stop in Scarborough we'd be much further ahead. (I live in Scarborough and it's the dumbest idea in decades.)

Transit planning should not be in the hands of city councilors.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I hate using Presto and prefer getting a physical Metropass, but I would appreciate having the option to use Apple Pay for Presto fares (like on a Go Bus etc).

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I hate using Presto and prefer getting a physical Metropass, but I would appreciate having the option to use Apple Pay for Presto fares (like on a Go Bus etc).
You can load a Metropass onto Presto, which is nice because if you lose your card you can just login and transfer the pass to a new card.

My family's gone through that expensive Metropass experience more than once.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
If it weren't for the TTC being garbage, perhaps the 401 highway wouldn't look like this on a daily basis?

I used to live in Toronto. "World class" might be a stretch, but the TTC is quite excellent compared to transit in almost all other North American cities.

The 401 congestion is due to the wider growth around the entire GTA, a huge area that is far larger than what the TTC was ever designed to cover. The way that much of this area has developed (sprawling, low density) means that it will be difficult to ever economically serve them with comprehensive public transport.

[doublepost=1525725802][/doublepost]On the other hand, Transport for London have had Apple Pay for a few years now. On Busses, underground, overground trains, ferries, trams, and even that silly cable car thing. Just saying ;)

Last edited:

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I used to live in Toronto. "World class" might be a stretch, but the TTC is quite excellent compared to transit in almost all other North American cities.

The 401 congestion is due to the wider growth around the entire GTA, a huge area that is far larger than what the TTC was ever designed to cover. The way that much of this area has developed (sprawling, low density) means that it will be difficult to ever economically serve them with comprehensive public transport.
We had a comprehensive LRT network planned, funded, and ready to break ground on, but a certain crackhead was elected to the office of mayor (and his brother is soon to be elected to the office of premier), who convinced voters that subways are the best way to serve low-density suburban sprawls.

Anyway, Hamilton, Mississauga, and Waterloo are happily building LRTs though.

Junior117

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Toronto, Canada
As someone who lives in Toronto, Presto's system... isn't bad in my experience, but I'm not surprised that it's not that great for others and it can be improved. I personally think that they should focus a lit more on reliability (like the fact that it's almost every other week where I hear it broke down in some or all parts of Toronto) before they think about adding Apple Pay support.

Maybe they should take some hints from Japan?

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
We had a comprehensive LRT network planned, funded, and ready to break ground on, but a certain crackhead was elected to the office of mayor (and his brother is soon to be elected to the office of premier), who convinced voters that subways are the best way to serve low-density suburban sprawls.

Anyway, Hamilton, Mississauga, and Waterloo are happily building LRTs though.

Forget about Rob Ford, he didn't get to do anything with the transit and despite what you may not like about him, at least he pushed for subway expansion.

Second, LRT is a wasted effort. Take away necessary road space from cars only to throw in the LRT. That's not a solution. The solution is to build underground or above ground like Tokyo.

Third, the real scumbag for this debacle is Mike Harris. There were even plans of building the Subway all the way from Square One in Mississauga across Eglinton. Do that and the 401 would have been MUCH less congested.

Fourth, although somewhat unrelated to miserable subway infrastructure in Toronto, Mike Harris AGAIN screwed Toronto by selling off the 407. That highway is relatively dead because its WAY too expensive to use for the common person.

No matter how you slice it, Toronto is a joke of a city. The most embarrassing city planning I have ever seen.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Forget about Rob Ford, he didn't get to do anything with the transit and despite what you may not like about him, at least he pushed for subway expansion.

Second, LRT is a wasted effort. Take away necessary road space from cars only to throw in the LRT. That's not a solution. The solution is to build underground or above ground like Tokyo.

Third, the real scumbag for this debacle is Mike Harris. There were even plans of building the Subway all the way from Square One in Mississauga across Eglinton. Do that and the 401 would have been MUCH less congested.

Fourth, although somewhat unrelated to miserable subway infrastructure in Toronto, Mike Harris AGAIN screwed Toronto by selling off the 407. That highway is relatively dead because its WAY too expensive to use for the common person.

No matter how you slice it, Toronto is a joke of a city. The most embarrassing city planning I have ever seen.
First, he pushed for subway expansion at the expense of getting any system expansion (beyond the Eglinton line he couldn't cancel) anytime soon. The SRT replacement would have been running up to Sheppard by now, but the subway is at least 10 years away. But hey, instead of a 7 stop ride by 2018, we get a 1 stop ride by 2028 at twice the price. A bargain!

Second, the SRT to LRT replacement was to run in its own mostly existing right of way, with lands set aside for the rest decades ago, taking exactly zero road space away from cars. As for other lines, the inner suburbs of Toronto are wide and can absorb it, unlike the narrow roads downtown.

Third and fourth, agreed, Mike Harris screwed this city over big time. Can't wait for Act 2 in June.

Reactions: ipedro and Stella

Darkwalker

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014

3 lines and they just finished extending one and two are currently being built.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Anyway, I look forward to being able to use my iPhone X4 with Presto.
iPhone “Ten four”? You mean 14?
[doublepost=1525795852][/doublepost]

US cities seem to think LRT is the future and building and expanding LRT systems left and right. Seems like a North American problem as a whole. Wish more subways were built instead. SF and NY have actually expanded their subway systems (and in the case of SF, LRT as well)

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
US cities seem to think LRT is the future and building and expanding LRT systems left and right. Seems like a North American problem as a whole. Wish more subways were built instead. SF and NY have actually expanded their subway systems (and in the case of SF, LRT as well)

Seems like SF and NY are the only two cities in north america with a city council that is competent. It's so funny watching Toronto regress as a city as time goes by. Sure, the city is under construction, but everything is being done backwards. I spent some time in Tokyo and that is a true World Class city. Subways galore, so much so that moving around the entire city without a car is perfectly acceptable. There's basically 3 subway stops within a 500m radius no matter where you are.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If the TTC was properly funded maybe it would be better.
( Slight correct: TTC has 3 subway lines... )

Anyway, a lot of those motorists would still drive in. TTC coverage is Toronto and doesn't reach places like Ajax, Hamilton, Richmond hill, etc, where a lot of people commute from. Overall, better inter-city public transit is required.

ShyZKhv.jpg

Rob ford didn't understand LRTs either. They usually have their own right of way, not on roads like Street Cars ( which are still more efficient people movers than the car ) , Eglinton LRT will also run under ground too.

Subways aren't viable for every scenario, such as low density areas. Thats why a mix of public transit is good. LRTs, Street cars, buses, trains, subways.

Rob Ford was totally useless. He cancelled transit city fully funded, and a lot of that would be built by now. Instead, he wanted a subway... which construction hasn't started, and a total waste of money. 1 stop for 4 billion dollars.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.