Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's widely rumored 6.1-inch iPhone with Face ID may use the same MLCD+ display technology as LG's new G7 ThinQ smartphone, according to a BusinessKorea report today spotted by the blog Patently Apple.

LG-G7.jpg

BusinessKorea:
According to the smartphone industry on May 9, Apple is expected to load its next 6.1-inch iPhone model with an MLCD+ display which LG used in its G7 ThinQ smartphone. The MLCD+ display realizes a bright screen with less power consumption than the IPS LCD display.
Whereas a traditional LCD screen has three sub-pixels, forming a red, blue, and green stripe, MLCD+ screens have a fourth white sub-pixel for increased brightness, yet with lower power consumption than an IPS LCD panel. LG's G7 has a peak brightness of 1,000 nits, for example, compared to between 625 nits and 804 nits on the iPhone X.

Like the OLED display on the iPhone X, MLCD+ screens can also display 100 percent of the wide DCI-P3 color gamut for improved color accuracy. The panel in the G7 is capable of 10-bit color depth, so if Apple used this technology, the 6.1-inch iPhone could be more compliant with some HDR standards.

Rumors suggest the 6.1-inch iPhone will essentially be a lower-priced iPhone X, achieved through some cost-cutting design compromises, including the lack of an OLED display. Based on this report, however, it sounds like the device could still have a better display than the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.

The 6.1-inch iPhone will also have an aluminum frame rather than stainless steel, a single-lens rear camera, and may lack 3D Touch, according to former KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. He predicted the device will be unveiled later this year with a starting price of between $700 and $800 in the United States.

Article Link: Apple's Budget iPhone X May Have Same Ultra-Bright, Low-Power LCD Technology as LG G7

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I am happy with my OLED, but not sure I would really notice the difference in day to day usage. If the feature set is the same, I'd certainly consider this model. My gut tells me it won't be though.

pete2106

Suspended
Dec 7, 2012
I'll happily forgo an OLED screen and a stainless steel band if it makes the phone more affordable. I've been looking to upgrade my 6 Plus for a while now but couldn't justify the obscene price tag of the X.

I would be surprised at it only having one camera though. Don't they need two cameras to do all the AR depth perception? I would have thought that since Apple are going all in on AR, all phones going forward would have two cameras. Unless I'm wrong, maybe it does only need the one camera.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
No thanks.

Not clear from the article but it looks like the white subpixel replaces a coloured pixel. This results in a duller colour, as anyone with an LG RGBW television knows.

LG is known for hyping their 'energy saving' white subpixel panels but in reality they struggle to display colour and contrast properly.

RGBW-pixels.jpg

DTECHQUE

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2017
I'll happily forgo an OLED screen and a stainless steel band if it makes the phone more affordable. I've been looking to upgrade my 6 Plus for a while now but couldn't justify the obscene price tag of the X.

I would be surprised at it only having one camera though. Don't they need two cameras to do all the AR depth perception? I would have thought that since Apple are going all in on AR, all phones going forward would have two cameras. Unless I'm wrong, maybe it does only need the one camera.

Why didn't you go with the 8 Plus?

Reactions: Keane16

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Could not give a damn about OLED so I am fine with that :D I am probably one of the few who do not like those „tint..ish oilfilm“ looking OLED screens at all

Every iPhone X screen that I've seen looks dingy and dirty! Apple has a long way to go before they even get close to the mastery of OLED like Samsung.

Also, 700-800 is still TOO HIGH for these phones. There has to be some reason thrown out here or Apple is going to force me out of their products, at least phones on principle.

Reactions: Elgaard

DuskRune

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
Why didn't you go with the 8 Plus?

I was in the same situation as the poster you quoted. 6 plus, husband had a 6, and they were showing their age. Even after a battery replacement they just weren’t up to snuff considering they are our personal and work phones.

Made the leap for a 8 plus and him an 8. Love them. We used to piggyback upgrades but after the launch of the 6 we just stopped because of less of an incentive. We are gonna probably stick to a 3 year upgrade cycle now.

Reactions: Wide opeN

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
whats so much better than oled seems this is better so why not do the flagship with this?

I've never understood OLED making sense for small displays like those found in smartphones. While it's exceptional for TVs, OLED can have image retention and smartphone OSes tend to have very static UIs and app icons. OLED is also less bright than LED-LCD (at the moment), and you want as much brightness as you can get for things like phones and tablets which people use outside in broad daylight.

OLED used to have the color gamut advantage, but with quantum dots and other workarounds, LCD can now output the same size gamut (DCI-P3). About the only thing which OLED trumps LCD is black levels, which for a phone isn't really a big deal IMO.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not hating on OLED. I love OLED, and I own an LG C7 TV which is absolutely amazing. OLED is an incredible technology. It's just not suited for certain devices and use cases IMO. For phones at this current time, I'd rather have a non-OLED screen.

Last edited:

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I'm interested to see how they handle this because my understanding is that the chin was eliminated by bending the OLED screen back on itself. I don't believe LCD's are capable of this.

gezora

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2018
so they convince a bunch of people that the iphone X was the future of smartphones by changing the form, the screen, the authentication system, removing the headphone jack, and charging a premium

and then a year later they remove useless features, change the screen to something even better, and charge $200 less for a better performing phone

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017

Nope. ARKit support iPhone SE 6s 7 and 8 too

Reactions: Val-kyrie

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
I'm interested to see how they handle this because my understanding is that the chin was eliminated by bending the OLED screen back on itself. I don't believe LCD's are capable of this.
I think so. How can they blend bezal with screen since LCD can’t have true black.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
This is news, as we were expecting the display to be ultra dull. Ultra bright is great news and totally unexpected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.