Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Telegram today received its first update in two months after an App Store update lockout caused by a dispute with the Russian government and Apple.

Telegram CEO Pavel Durov yesterday explained that Apple had been blocking updates to the Telegram app on a worldwide scale since April, when the Telegram app was banned in Russia.

telegramupdate.jpg

As back story, Russia in April banned Telegram because Telegram refused to allow government officials in the country to have backdoor access to the content of user messages. Russia's ban attempt was not entirely successful, leading Russia to demand that Apple remove Telegram from the Russian App Store.

Amid this dispute, Apple was apparently refusing all Telegram app updates dating back to mid-April. This situation caused certain Telegram features, like stickers, to break with the launch of iOS 11.4, and it prevented Telegram from complying with new GDPR rules in the European Union. From Durov's statement yesterday:
While Russia makes up only 7% of Telegram's userbase, Apple is restricting updates for all Telegram users around the world since mid-April. As a result, we've also been unable to fully comply with GDPR for our EU-users by the deadline of May 25, 2018. We are continuing our efforts to resolve the situation and will keep you updated.
Apple appears to have reversed its position on Telegram updates, and Telegram 4.8.2 is now available in the iOS App Store. The update includes a new registration process for the EU and UK along with some other small changes to the app.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Telegram Gets First Update After Six Week App Store Lockout

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Oh noes, what will the conspiracy theorists do now??
An update has been held for months. Because this, feautures have been broken and telegram didn’t comply with the new European regulation within the given deadline. This app has million of users! An update finally gets released but we don’t know if this is a one case exception or if the situation is back to normality. And, we get zero (0, nothing nulla, nada, 何も) explanation from Apple about the reasons behind its behaviour. And you think this is ok? After having some bad pr apple let telegram have an update. How many apps that don’t have millions of users are never allowed an update (maybe) because of political pressure? We have no idea. If you want another example, think that Iranian developers have been completely excluded from software development on iOS, and their apps removed and that in China people completely lost access to VPN software and, therefore, to the free internet (and to free press), but only on iOS, on Android, you can sideload apps...if you don’t see the issue, nothing will be able to make you see, no matter what happens in the future. And good job on calling names on people worried about the situation. “Conspiracy theorists”, bah.

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
An update has been held for months.
Most likely it was a typical cycle of App Store submission - submit app update, get rejection, fix error(s), repeat. It wasn’t a single update that was held for months.

And, we get zero (0, nothing nulla, nada, 何も) explanation from Apple about the reasons behind its behaviour. And you think this is ok?
Apple is not supposed to do this! It’s the most basic part of a business relationship - only devs should get the rejection reasons.

Otherwise we’d probably hear something along the lines of ‘Telegram developers are *****’. And even if that would have helped Apple PR-wise, they know better than break confidentiality.

After having some bad pr apple let telegram have an update.
Most likely the bad publicity led Apple to tell Telegram’s developers how to fix their app to get it past the review process.

If you want another example, think that Iranian developers have been completely excluded from software development on iOS, and their apps removed and that in China people completely lost access to VPN software and, therefore, to the free internet (and to free press)
Apple follows the local law - hence in US it is subject to sanctions on Iran and in China it is subject to VPN ban.

but only on iOS, on Android, you can sideload apps...
If you an advanced user, you can sideload on iOS as well.

And good job on calling names on people worried about the situation. “Conspiracy theorists”, bah.
When people jump to the least likely conclusion of some hidden conspiracy by Apple - yes, that’s who they are.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Most likely it was a typical cycle of App Store submission - submit app update, get rejection, fix error(s), repeat. It wasn’t a single update that was held for months.

Apple is not supposed to do this! It’s the most basic part of a business relationship - only devs should get the rejection reasons.

Otherwise we’d probably hear something along the lines of ‘Telegram developers are *****’. And even if that would have helped Apple PR-wise, they know better than break confidentiality.

Most likely the bad publicity led Apple to tell Telegram’s developers how to fix their app to get it past the review process.

Apple follows the local law - hence in US it is subject to sanctions on Iran and in China it is subject to VPN ban.

If you an advanced user, you can sideload on iOS as well.

When people jump to the least likely conclusion of some hidden conspiracy by Apple - yes, that’s who they are.

You'd make for a biased, opinionated judge and jury.

Fact is that an update was held up. There is no way for us to know if it was single or multiple, and whose fault, unless screenshots and emails are shared. Come on, man! Be open!

Telegram is not a new kid on the block in app development. Give them some credit.

Or is it that this is a Russian developer that is an issue with you?

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN and 123

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I don’t think sanctions on those countries include such things at all,sanctions are put on governments and regimes of those countries because of their wrongdoings and oppression ,but technologies from Telegram and Apple,Microsoft,etc are used by civilians in those oppressed countries (Iran,Russia,China,etc) to freely communicate with each other and outside world without their governments spy on them.

The irony is it is governments of such countries (Russia,Iran,China,etc) that benefit from any sanction effecting social media and IT products ,because it’s those governments requesting Apple and Telegram and others for backdoors and access to data servers.

the whole issue started because people use these technologies to bypass their oppressive,corrupt governments to communicate and share news etc freely and those governments are scared of that,so they do all they can to get rid of such technologies.

Now if US sanctions effect such technologies too,then the sanctions are flawed and counterproductive as it is serving those evil regimes against people and outside world.

Reactions: 123 and canesalato

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
You'd make for a biased, opinionated judge and jury.
The only thing I’m biased against is a paranoid anti-Apple attitudes in MacRumors comments.

Fact is that an update was held up. There is no way for us to know if it was single or multiple, and whose fault, unless screenshots and emails are shared. Come on, man! Be open!
Open to what? To ‘let’s assume the worst’ mindset?
In fact, Telegram devs themselves spoken of multiple updates being rejected. And they have a history of seeing persecution everywhere.

Telegram is not a new kid on the block in app development. Give them some credit.
No credit here - there’s plenty of criticism of their work, including their cryptography. And it takes one bad hire to screw up the app.

Or is it that this is a Russian developer that is an issue with you?
Oh, here we go.

Just a clarification - I’m Russian myself, living in the West, rather anti-Putin and anti-current regime.

However that also means that I know enough about Durov and his company to be sceptical about their statements on Apple.
[doublepost=1527939723][/doublepost]
I don’t think sanctions on those countries include such things at all
Maybe google it first then? Both of those things are facts.

Also, a couple of points:
- Apple has to obey the local laws - no matter how ****** they are.
- US sanctions on Iran apply to entire country, not just the government.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Just a clarification - I’m Russian myself, living in the West, rather anti-Putin and anti-current regime.

However that also means that I know enough about Durov and his company to be sceptical about their statements on Apple.
[doublepost=1527939723][/doublepost]

This changes things! No wonder then. :) A native would know things more than any outsider could. /s

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
This changes things! No wonder then. :) A native would know things more than any outsider could.
Please don't accept innuendo as evidence. Knows enough about Durov? Sounds so ominous, doesn't it? :rolleyes: Well hell, we can do that too. <clears throat> "You see macintoshmac, in my capacity as an internet commenter on several sites, I've become privy to certain aspects of Durov's personality traits. When examined against the context of this recent tiff with Apple... let's just say, Durov isn't what he seems to be." See. Anybody can do that and I've never even been to Russia.:p
Being a native doesn't necessarily impart insider knowledge. Do you know more about the CEO of AT&T than someone from Canada? Any insights into the Walmart E-Suite that a Mexican wouldn't have? How do you feel about the activity of Bank of America's CEO? An inquiring mind from Australia wants to know.:D

Being from Russia gives no more insight than being from Georgia would give me insight into the peach industry.:) Futurix's supposition about what happened between Apple and Telegram is just that, supposition. He has a bias towards defending Apple. There's nothing wrong with that. He has no more insight that you, me, or the guy selling bags of oranges by the freeway off ramp.

Last edited:

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
Please don't accept innuendo as evidence. Knows enough about Durov? Sounds so ominous, doesn't it? :rolleyes: Well hell, we can do that too. <clears throat> "You see macintoshmac, in my capacity as an internet commenter on several sights, I've become privy to certain aspects of Durov's personality traits. When examined against the context of this recent tiff with Apple... let's just say, Durov isn't what he seems to be." See. Anybody can do that and I've never even been to Russia.:p
Being a native doesn't necessarily impart insider knowledge. Do you know more about the CEO of AT&T than someone from Canada? Any insights into the Walmart E-Suite that a Mexican wouldn't have? How do you feel about the activity of Bank of America's CEO? An inquiring mind from Australia wants to know.:D

Being from Russia gives no more insight than being from Georgia would give me insight into the peach industry.:) Futurix's supposition about what happened between Apple and Telegram is just that, supposition. He has a bias towards defending Apple. There's nothing wrong with that. He has no more insight that you, me, or the guy selling bags of oranges by the freeway off ramp.
Good point! I’m Russian myself, so what?! Lol
Durov doesn’t even live in Russia anymore! All those forum “experts” are hilarious!

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Please don't accept innuendo as evidence. Knows enough about Durov? Sounds so ominous, doesn't it? :rolleyes: Well hell, we can do that too. <clears throat> "You see macintoshmac, in my capacity as an internet commenter on several sights, I've become privy to certain aspects of Durov's personality traits. When examined against the context of this recent tiff with Apple... let's just say, Durov isn't what he seems to be." See. Anybody can do that and I've never even been to Russia.:p

True that! I forgot to add the /s after my comment. I will do it now.

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
What I was trying to say is that for me (being Russian) events surrounding Durov aren’t just a current event - I’ve been following this for years.
And while I’m certain that Telegram is actually persecuted in Russia, I’m also certain that he sees persecution everywhere (and that’s the reason he blamed Apple for some kind of Russian-led conspiracy).

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In the same way that those making up conspiracy theories have a bias against Apple.
They have biases. He has a bias. So what? Is one bias supposed to be any better or worse than the other? Everyone has biases that lean for or against something. Sometimes strongly for or against, sometimes not. There's nothing wrong with that imo. But you know that, cuz I said it right here:
There's nothing wrong with that. He has no more insight that you, me, or the guy selling bags of oranges by the freeway off ramp.
You just cut it out of my comment because it would kinda throw dirt on your little whataboutism. :) That's cool.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
if Russia doesn't like them it must be good... Apple should buy these guys and fold their tech into Messenger ;)

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
They have biases. He has a bias. So what? Is one bias supposed to be any better or worse than the other? Everyone has biases that lean for or against something. Sometimes strongly for or against, sometimes not. There's nothing wrong with that imo. But you know that, cuz I said it right here:

You just cut it out of my comment because it would kinda throw dirt on your little whataboutism. :) That's cool.
I cut that part out because it sounded pretty snarky and not very genuine. As for the "whataboutism" thing, I typically see that term used to deflect attention away from things that the user of the term doesn't want to talk about.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
I cut that part out because it sounded pretty snarky and not very genuine. As for the "whataboutism" thing, I typically see that term used to deflect attention away from things that the user of the term doesn't want to talk about.
You typically see that term because the person using it (me in this case) is pointing out that it's a description of what the recipient (that'd be you) is doing. It's a form of deflection as in "I know what my guy did, but let me point at some other guy instead".;) Just like what you did. However you're wrong about it's application. It's not used to deflect attention away from anything. In fact it's the opposite. It's used to highlight a fallacy in the recipients argument. To point, not only have I not avoided the topic, I have been at the very center of the conversation over two threads. Soooo, yeah about that.

As I said other thread, the point moot. Telegram is updated and no one is any closer at knowing who was at fault for the delay. Could have been Telegram. Could have been Apple. Could have been a combination of both to varying degrees.

Reactions: 123

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I wish they had Telegram X in the App Store. I like that more then the regular Telegram app.
Same here. When I got a new iPhone I was able to get it from the App Store by going to my past purchases and it showed up there. So if you previously had it installed, you should be able to get it that way.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
You typically see that term because the person using it (me in this case) is pointing out that it's a description of what the recipient (that'd be you) is doing. It's a form of deflection as in "I know what my guy did, but let me point at some other guy instead".;) Just like what you did. However you're wrong about it's application. It's not used to deflect attention away from anything. In fact it's the opposite. It's used to highlight a fallacy in the recipients argument. To point, not only have I not avoided the topic, I have been at the very center of the conversation over two threads. Soooo, yeah about that.

As I said other thread, the point moot. Telegram is updated and no one is any closer at knowing who was at fault for the delay. Could have been Telegram. Could have been Apple. Could have been a combination of both to varying degrees.
True- if I were actually trying to argue that "my guy" wasn't biased towards Apple, my reply to you would have been fallacious and meaningless. I don't know "my guy", but I was just trying to point out that these forums are a haven for anti-Apple bias, so it's strange to call out someone who may be biased towards Apple... on an Apple forum.

Now, I completely agree with your second paragraph- nobody knows who is at fault for the Telegram delay, and at least the update has finally gone through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.