Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the months leading up to Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference each year, the company offers free WWDC scholarships to students and STEM organization members who don't have the $1,599 necessary to purchase a ticket to the event.

When selected, the scholarship winners gain a free WWDC ticket, free lodging, and a free one year Apple developer membership. On Twitter today, Apple CEO Tim Cook celebrated these 350+ individuals with a quick video highlighting a few of the winners and their apps.

tim-cook-tweet-wwdc-scholarships.jpg

In the video, Cook is seen discussing the apps with the scholarship winners, who also briefly describe the projects they're working on. Some apps include "Study Buddy Connection," which aims to streamline how tutors and students find one another, and "UV Safe," which sends out iOS notifications to apply sunscreen based on the UV index at your location.

Accompanying the video, Cook's tweet says: "Nothing inspires us more than fresh ideas."

Nothing inspires us more than fresh ideas. Meet a few of the 350+ talented #WWDC18 student scholarship winners! pic.twitter.com/XHRQdgCugE - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) June 4, 2018
WWDC 2018 kicks off tomorrow with a keynote at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, California. As developers and other attendees arrived in California over the weekend, the first glimpses of conference swag appeared online, including a Levi's denim jacket and a collection of Apple-themed enamel pins.

MacRumors will be providing all of the usual coverage of the conference, with real-time keynote updates found on our @MacRumorsLive Twitter account and all of the event highlights appearing on MacRumors.com throughout the day and week. In preparation for the keynote, visit our full How To guide on the best ways to watch the presentation live on June 4.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Shares Video of WWDC 2018 Scholarship Winners and Their Apps

Reactions: martyjmclean

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I would have loved more in depth detail about their apps. Some cool ideas from kid programmers. As a tutor I would love to hear more about the app one girl made to connect tutors and students. It needs to do more than google apps collaboration does for me right now though.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Wish they had stuff like this when I was a kid/teen. Instead I would have people tell me I was weird, that I had no life and that I needed to go outside more even though I was tan and had a girlfriend.

I wish I had stuck with application development. It’s a lot more lucrative than web design and development and I like designing native application interfaces more because I can have a greater control over all the fine details and animations that make native apps a joy to use. I used to be a standout student and got the highest score ever recorded for the final in one of my AP programming courses. Sigh…

I got to design one app at work but working with the external dev team was awful—even after switching devs—to the point where I had to start learning Objective C to patch remaining issues. I’m still a complete noob though and wish I had not wasted the summer of 2008 in college trying to find a summer job in a horrible imploding economy. A better idea would have been spending the summer learning iPhone dev and make some of my ideas into apps that were later made by other people. But at the time I had a lot of debt and needed cash immediately. Ended up not finding a job because of all the older adults flooding the market. Definitely a low point in my life that I wish I could do over. Also started dating my wife during this time so it’s amazing she stuck with me, lol. So it wasn’t all bad I guess.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I know how that feels. But then I remember that most of the people that tell me that don’t have many hobbies and complain that they are bored a lot of times. As the saying goes, “if you’re bored you’re boring”.
Oh yes, so true! And going out drinking constantly is not a hobby, lol. Those were always the most boring people to me. Unless you're like into craft beers maybe or something and/or make your own. In college I would catch so much crap for not going out partying all the time. I ended up starting my own freelance design company in college that helped to pay the bills and changed from photography to design major. Probably should have stuck with programming though. Part of it came down to the fact that I didn't like all the advanced math classes. I go through phases of being more right brain and then left brain. Drives me crazy. I would win the math bee at school and go on to competitions and then the next year all I wanted to do was draw. I probably have something wrong with me, lol. I'd eventually like to get into managing a design and development team since I have a solid understanding of both sides—but the thought of being less creative in my job role also bums me out so who knows.

My hobbies: painting, photography, landscaping, storm chasing, and astronomy. I'm never bored! I'm currently learning construction and woodworking. My long-term goals are becoming a pilot, teaching some college courses, getting better at videography, and developing a easy-to-use gesture-based weather app that I designed a couple years ago.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Awesome. I started to get into astronomy a couple days ago :)
Sorry to go off-topic but I love sharing my passions.

Look into the James Webb Space Telescope. It's launching in 2020 and it's gonna be nuts. I'm going to be so nervous when it launches, lol. I've been into astronomy for a long time but have never been able to afford a good scope until recently. Just had some astronomy binoculars and a crappy old refractor scope. Sometime in the next couple years I'd like to buy one. Going to get a 10", maybe 12" diameter reflector on a motorized mount that I can connect to my iPhone and dial in whatever sky object I want. Also going to get a camera mount. I took an astronomy course with a lab in college and we would drive out to the country to the university's observatory and it was so cool. And while studying distant star spectrometry to determine composition and calculate red-shift is great, I love the visible imagery. Lately I've been getting more into astrophotography. This was my first attempt back in March on my new camera gear of the full moon rising over the Atlantic Ocean:

_DSC4313 2.JPG

And this was my first attempt at a rocket launch photo a few days later (Space X Falcon, 25-30 miles south of Cape Canaveral):

space-x_falcon-9_launch-50.JPG

Reactions: DavidBlack

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
Sorry to go off-topic but I love sharing my passions.

Look into the James Webb Space Telescope. It's launching in 2020 and it's gonna be nuts. I'm going to be so nervous when it launches, lol. I've been into astronomy for a long time but have never been able to afford a good scope until recently. Just had some astronomy binoculars and a crappy old refractor scope. Sometime in the next couple years I'd like to buy one. Going to get a 10", maybe 12" diameter reflector on a motorized mount that I can connect to my iPhone and dial in whatever sky object I want. Also going to get a camera mount. I took an astronomy course with a lab in college and we would drive out to the country to the university's observatory and it was so cool. And while studying distant star spectrometry to determine composition and calculate red-shift is great, I love the visible imagery. Lately I've been getting more into astrophotography. This was my first attempt back in March on my new camera gear of the full moon rising over the Atlantic Ocean:

View attachment 764394

And this was my first attempt at a rocket launch photo a few days later (Space X Falcon, 25-30 miles south of Cape Canaveral):

View attachment 764395

That's really awesome! I was going to start out by using binoculars because I'm just starting out. I looked up what can be seen with a good pair and found out that Jupiter can be seen which is pretty neat. I plan to use them to observe the moon phases up close and then upgrade to a telescope.

Great shots btw ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.