Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While we're still two months away from Apple's widely rumored trio of 2018 iPhones, the rumor mill is already looking ahead to next year.

iphone-x-triple-lens-martin-hajek-idropnews-800x652.jpg
iPhone with triple-lens rear camera mockup via iDrop News

Much of the early discussion has centered upon the rear-facing camera on 2019 iPhones, with multiple reports claiming it will be a triple-lens array with advanced 3D sensing for augmented reality capabilities.

Taiwanese publication Economic Daily News says as much in a pair of reports today, claiming that the rear-facing camera on 2019 iPhones will feature "more advanced" sensing than the front-facing TrueDepth system on the current iPhone X, with a triple-lens setup capable of stereoscopic imaging.

With stereoscopic imaging, two of the sensors would be able to capture images of a single object from different angles. A triangulation method would then be used to obtain the distance between the iPhone and the object.

The third lens would also likely enable 3x optical zoom on an iPhone for the first time, enabling users to magnify the image in the viewfinder by up to three times without a blurry reduction in quality like digital zoom.

Bloomberg News last year reported that Apple aims to include rear-facing 3D sensing capabilities in its 2019 iPhones. At the time, Apple was said to be evaluating a time-of-flight approach that calculates the time it takes for a laser to bounce off surrounding objects to create a 3D image of the environment.

While the exact implementation remains to be seen, it's clear that the rear camera could play a big role in the augmented reality capabilities of future iPhones. Last year, Apple released ARKit, a framework that enables developers to incorporate augmented reality into their apps on iOS 11 and later.

Apple previews ARKit 2 during WWDC 2018 at around 22:05 mark of video

At WWDC 2018 last month, Apple previewed ARKit 2, with shared experiences like multiplayer games, persistent augmented reality, extended support for image detection and tracking, and more.

Article Link: Rumors Persist About Triple-Lens Rear Camera System With Advanced 3D Sensing on 2019 iPhones

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
If they could find a way to do the P20 Pro sensor "merge" to provide the superior night shot capabilities but with better, more natural colouring, this could be absolutely epic.

3D stuffs though, yeah but no. There is a reason that chaff died out on TV's.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I'm wondering if "stereophonic" pictures would require the camera be he held in landscape only or both landscape and portrait because of the spacing needed for the cameras?

Reactions: NMBob

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
You would think APple would try to put the triple lens system in the 2018 iphone x plus. At least i heard a rumor that was a possibility.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
How is it that the Google phones have one lens but take better pictures? Supposedly, the XL3 will only have one len as well. Is it software that make Google phone pictures come out so good?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Is the actual supply chain rumor for a 3x lens? It seems more likely to me that we'll get two wide lenses and one tele lens. The two wide would be the top/bottom and allow for much better depth sensing because of the same lens, but different positions. It would also allow for much improved lowlight photos by combining the sensors with two shorter exposures, meaning less motion blur from leaving the shutter open longer. Plus every photo could have depth data added to it.

Zoom is nice, but I find I rarely use the 2x lens on my camera on anything other than portrait mode, just because of the higher aperture. I doubt I would use a 3x at all.

Reactions: oddiecz

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
How is it that the Google phones have one lens but take better pictures? Supposedly, the XL3 will only have one len as well. Is it software that make Google phone pictures come out so good?

Yes their software processing is currently the best available. (note I am an iPhone user)

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
They'd never do it, but I'd love to see Apple build an interchangeable lens camera with an APS-C or full-frame sensor, with their expertise it'd demolish the existing options... only problem is it'd be as expensive as a Leica.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Is the actual supply chain rumor for a 3x lens? It seems more likely to me that we'll get two wide lenses and one tele lens. The two wide would be the top/bottom and allow for much better depth sensing because of the same lens, but different positions. It would also allow for much improved lowlight photos by combining the sensors with two shorter exposures, meaning less motion blur from leaving the shutter open longer. Plus every photo could have depth data added to it.

Zoom is nice, but I find I rarely use the 2x lens on my camera on anything other than portrait mode, just because of the higher aperture. I doubt I would use a 3x at all.
You are probably right about matching, wide lenses at the top and bottom and a 3X in the middle (and the advantages that would bring about for depth and low light shots).

I frequently use the 2X lens on my iPhone X and I am sure I would use the 3X lens as well but I take more outdoor, daylight photos where there is plenty of light and I don't have to worry about having to have a low f stop to avoid blurry photos. It all comes down to use case (like most smart phone issues).

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Better is a bit subjective. I would imagine in a blind test most people couldn’t pick out one from the other. They are both quite good considering the severe limitations of sensor size, lens size, and user skill.
[doublepost=1530806282][/doublepost]
They'd never do it, but I'd love to see Apple build an interchangeable lens camera with an APS-C or full-frame sensor, with their expertise it'd demolish the existing options... only problem is it'd be as expensive as a Leica.
That would have been good about 10 years ago but at the rate of contraction (plus entrenched players) in the camera market it won’t happen. What I would like is Apple to come up with a first class module to attach to the phone that has a larger sensor. Something that takes the idea of the DXO one and Sony QX stuff and does it properly. That would be a real kick in the teeth of the traditional camera makers.

Last edited by a moderator:

ronnyromero

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2016
If this is true, does it mean we could get more or less an effective 18mm-56mm f1.8 setup?

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
I'm wondering if "stereophonic" pictures would require the camera be he held in landscape only or both landscape and portrait because of the spacing needed for the cameras?
In theory, it shouldn’t matter. In the same way that our human eyeballs can do stereoscopic vision, whether we’re standing up or lying down sideways.

oddiecz

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
If they could find a way to do the P20 Pro sensor "merge" to provide the superior night shot capabilities but with better, more natural colouring, this could be absolutely epic.

3D for augmented reality ;)
[doublepost=1530807298][/doublepost]

Making a 3x zoom lens that would actually take good pictures would be tougher than with the 2x, we'll see.
[doublepost=1530807346][/doublepost]
If this is true, does it mean we could get more or less an effective 18mm-56mm f1.8 setup?

56mm at 1.8? That would be a massive phone or a really small sensor...
[doublepost=1530807545][/doublepost]

Software and a larger sensor. If Apple increased sensor size just a little, they could get results that would be quite a bit better. But also: Software. iPhone camera hardware has been getting better, but I think the software is holding it back quite a bit.

Reactions: TVreporter

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Cue all the hump hate.

I am all for camera improvements. One of the design sacrifices I’m completely content with.

Reactions: AFDoc

SoundJudgment

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2017

It would need to be held in Landscape mode, and the left/right camera-lens elements would have to be spaced typically the same distance as found between two eyes...just like mine!

Reactions: rp2011

scoony

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2018

That's a feature that would shift boxes of iPhones! I really wonder what this years photography will bring. It's the third round of dual lens...

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Cue all the hump hate.

I am all for camera improvements. One of the design sacrifices I’m completely content with.

Same. If Apple can dramatically improve their low light and noise performance, I’d be a happy camper. It’s the one area where I find other phone brands do a lot better.

Reactions: Kiorr and rp2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.