Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a demo at CES in January, the VELUX ACTIVE with NETATMO smart skylight system has now launched on the iOS App Store [Direct Link] with HomeKit support. The app pairs with the new VELUX ACTIVE with NETATMO climate control and monitoring system to enable smartphone control and automation of the skylights, costing $295.

veluxe-active-with-netatmo.jpg

The company says that this marks the first time that skylights will be able to connect to Apple's HomeKit platform, allowing users to open or close the skylight in the Home app or using Siri on iOS, Apple Watch, and HomePod. HomeKit support will be available in new VELUX skylights, as well as existing skylights made by the company and enabled through the new app.

The skylights include smart sensor technology to monitor CO2, humidity levels, and temperature in the home, which it combines with local weather data to automatically open the skylights if fresh air is needed. This helps create a more comfortable living environment through improved air quality, according to the company.

velux-active.jpg

With HomeKit controls, homeowners can also further automate the skylight system and can add it into various scenes in the Home app, or automatically open or close it as they arrive or leave their home. The company explains that the VELUX ACTIVE skylight system was built with technology from French company NETATMO:
"VELUX ACTIVE with NETATMO is the result of two stunning technologies: high standard VELUX skylights and Netatmo's know-how for creating simple and useful products and apps," said Fred Potter, founder and CEO of Netatmo. "By automating the opening, closing and shading of skylights, we can make a big difference and improve indoor climate so users don't have to worry about it."
While the VELUX ACTIVE with NETATMO system runs for $295, that does not include the cost of the skylights themselves, or the installation fee for your specific home's needs. More information on VELUX's skylights can be found on the company's website. The VELUXE ACTIVE with NETATMO system has an expected ship date sometime later this month.

Article Link: VELUX ACTIVE with NETATMO Smart Skylight System Gains HomeKit Support

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
I am using the Netatmo Welcome camera. I have to say I’m quite impressed with both the product and the iOS app.

Still waiting for the HomeKit firmware upgrade, but on the whole, I think this manufacturer is underrated.

This kit looks interesting - though I don’t have a window to install in on :/

F

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
I am using the Netatmo Welcome camera. I have to say I’m quite impressed with both the product and the iOS app.

Still waiting for the HomeKit firmware upgrade, but on the whole, I think this manufacturer is underrated.

This kit looks interesting - though I don’t have a window to install in on :/

F

I have a Presence, and like you, I've been relatively impressed with their products (a few small gripes aside). They regularly update and improve the iOS app.

Netatmo is also still one of the only cameras I've found that'll sync to Dropbox and not hold you hostage with an insane subscription.

Reactions: LiveM

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
I have a maxxed out weather station of theirs and used to have two thermostats. Have had three weather modules fail and one thermostat. They look nice but reliability in my experience is poor.

Final nail for the thermostat was when they released radiator TRV's but limited my stats to only controlling 5 of them. On contacting their support (which aren't great) I was told to buy a new thermostat as they can control more. It's not like there is a v1 or v2, so I don't know how that was supposed to work out. I would have expected a firmware update should have done the job.

Overall, I like the look of the products and the web interface, but the hardware just isn't there.

steeevo

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2018
Netatmo outdoor camera and floodlight works flawlessly and the way it detects people animals and cars is truly amazing. The best security camera i have ever bought. Defo an underated company

Reactions: LiveM

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
Or you could just open a window.
Got a Velux roof window in a quite high roof. Whilst it can be opened, or the blind pulled down, both are a bit of a pain as it's so high up. I can do it, but step daughter has no chance as she's not tall enough to reach. Something like this would be perfect.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Got a Velux roof window in a quite high roof. Whilst it can be opened, or the blind pulled down, both are a bit of a pain as it's so high up. I can do it, but step daughter has no chance as she's not tall enough to reach. Something like this would be perfect.
We have to use a 3m retractable pole to open the ones in our kitchen roof .

Stefanojo

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016

Following a demo at CES in January, the VELUX ACTIVE with NETATMO smart skylight system has now launched on the iOS App Store [Direct Link] with HomeKit support. The app pairs with the new VELUX ACTIVE with NETATMO climate control and monitoring system to enable smartphone control and automation of the skylights, costing $295.

veluxe-active-with-netatmo.jpg

The company says that this marks the first time that skylights will be able to connect to Apple's HomeKit platform, allowing users to open or close the skylight in the Home app or using Siri on iOS, Apple Watch, and HomePod. HomeKit support will be available in new VELUX skylights, as well as existing skylights made by the company and enabled through the new app.

The skylights include smart sensor technology to monitor CO2, humidity levels, and temperature in the home, which it combines with local weather data to automatically open the skylights if fresh air is needed. This helps create a more comfortable living environment through improved air quality, according to the company.

velux-active.jpg

With HomeKit controls, homeowners can also further automate the skylight system and can add it into various scenes in the Home app, or automatically open or close it as they arrive or leave their home. The company explains that the VELUX ACTIVE skylight system was built with technology from French company NETATMO:
While the VELUX ACTIVE with NETATMO system runs for $295, that does not include the cost of the skylights themselves, or the installation fee for your specific home's needs. More information on VELUX's skylights can be found on the company's website. The VELUXE ACTIVE with NETATMO system has an expected ship date sometime later this month.

Article Link: VELUX ACTIVE with NETATMO Smart Skylight System Gains HomeKit Support
[doublepost=1534389413][/doublepost]I just had two Velux solar powered skylights and blinds, with Velux Active, installed in my living room. They are bad-ass! Especially being able to tell Siri to open them 50% (or whatever). Even better is a 30% federal tax rebate on the skylights, blinds AND installation!!!! Plus, I got a $200 rebate on EACH blind for buying Velux Active!!! That’s crazy, but true. Now I can say “goodnight Siri” and all my lights go off, and the skylights and blinds close. I love living like George Jetson (until something goes wrong) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.