Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has outlined repair options and parts availability for the new 2018 MacBook Pro in an internal document distributed to Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers on Friday and obtained by MacRumors.

2018-macbook-pro-repair-800x781.jpg

If a defective 2018 MacBook Pro is taken to an Apple Store, the Genius Bar will be able to mail it to an off-site Apple Repair Center, which will be able to repair minor components beginning in late July, and major components beginning in late September, according to the document, which doesn't specify the minor-major distinction.

Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers will only be able to perform limited on-site repairs until service inventory of replacement parts becomes available, as is often the case with a new Apple product:
  • Apple says the new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models have a "new" power adapter, with replacements available in late July. The adapter is still 61W, according to Apple's website, and its external design seems to remain the same, so any potential changes may be internal.
    Keycap kits will be available in mid-August. Hopefully they will be needed less, as iFixit discovered the 2018 MacBook Pro has a thin, silicone barrier underneath each key, which they believe is to prevent dust and other particulates from causing keys to stick, repeat, or function inconsistently. Apple hasn't confirmed that theory, only saying the third-generation keyboards are quieter.
    Other service parts will be available in late September.
MacRumors received this information from a reliable source, but repair options and service parts availability may vary based on store or repair shop, region, and so forth. These are only guidelines that are subject to change.

To initiate a repair, head to the Contact Apple Support portal, select Mac -> Mac notebooks, select the category and type of issue, select Bring in for Repair, and book an appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. There are also phone, chat, and email options for troubleshooting.

Article Link: Apple Outlines 2018 MacBook Pro Repair Options and Parts Availability

Last edited:

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
With their track record on this keyboard mechanism, it's a huge gamble buying this model unless you wait 6 months to see how it works out for the early adopters.

It sounds like the exact same mechanism with a dust barrier around each key, and apple is just crossing their fingers it actually keeps the dust out. It's as susceptible as ever if any dust passes the barrier.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Will people finally stop debating about whether or not Apple meant to keep debris out of the keyboard or make the keys quieter...

We have our answer.

Reactions: TimmeyCook

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Hope this new model does not come with any major flaws. So far it is looking good and is set to be an interesting release.

Reactions: martyjmclean

LillDrutten

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008

Apple has outlined repair options and parts availability for the new 2018 MacBook Pro in an internal document distributed to Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers on Friday and obtained by MacRumors.

2018-macbook-pro-repair-800x781.jpg

If a defective 2018 MacBook Pro is taken to an Apple Store, the Genius Bar will be able to mail it to an off-site Apple Repair Center, which will be able to repair minor components beginning in late July, and major components beginning in late September, according to the document, which doesn't specify the minor-major distinction.

Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers will only be able to perform limited on-site repairs until service inventory of replacement parts becomes available, as is often the case with a new Apple product:
  • Apple says the new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models have a "new" power adapter, with replacements available in late July. The adapter is still 61W, according to Apple's website, and its external design seems to remain the same, so any potential changes may be internal.
  • Keycap kits will be available in mid-August. Hopefully they will be needed less, as iFixit discovered the 2018 MacBook Pro has a thin, silicone barrier underneath each key, which they believe is to prevent dust and other particulates from causing keys to stick, repeat, or function inconsistently.
  • Other service parts will be available in late September.
MacRumors received this information from a reliable source, but repair options and service parts availability may vary based on store or repair shop, region, and so forth. These are only guidelines that are subject to change.

To initiate a repair, head to the Contact Apple Support portal, select Mac -> Mac notebooks, select the category and type of issue, select Bring in for Repair, and book an appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. There are also phone, chat, and email options for troubleshooting.

Article Link: Apple Outlines 2018 MacBook Pro Repair Options and Parts Availability

The only pro option I need is removable storage. Can I remove the ssd/nvme and replace it? If not the hole machine need to be scraped with minor problems.

Reactions: Lone Deranger

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I doubt Apple is using 3rd Generation keyboards to replace the defective 2016/2017 models. There are still those out there with original keyboards (myself included) but I have had a few instances where the keys get stuck. I'm glad Apple is giving us a 4 year warranty but it does annoy me they continue to replace the defective part with the same one knowing the 3rd gen keyboard has rubber membrane to prevent the issue.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
With their track record on this keyboard mechanism, it's a huge gamble buying this model unless you wait 6 months to see how it works out for the early adopters.

It sounds like the exact same mechanism with a dust barrier around each key, and apple is just crossing their fingers it actually keeps the dust out. It's as susceptible as ever if any dust passes the barrier.
Think it’s more than a dust issue too.

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
So you’re not going to be able to get any repairs without sending it out? That kind of sucks...

That is common. If anything fails in the first couple of weeks, Apple will likely just replace the whole computer (since it is in the return window.) After that, as the article says, it will take time for Apple to build up repair stock of parts. Until then, it will be easiest for Apple to send the repairs to a central facility.

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
So now if I got one of these new Macbooks and something went wrong, I'd have to drive 1.5 hrs to my closest Apple Store just to have them ship it off somewhere? Wow. Sure hope it's easy enough to still get a coffin shipped to you through phone support.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
So now if I got one of these new Macbooks and something went wrong, I'd have to drive 1.5 hrs to my closest Apple Store just to have them ship it off somewhere? Wow. Sure hope it's easy enough to still get a coffin shipped to you through phone support.

No need to bring it to an Apple Store or authorized repair shop - phone support can also send you a shipping box (with shipping label affixed), you'd pack it up, ship it to the repair depot, and they'd ship it right back to you, cutting out the middleman. (If you want to call that a coffin... yeah, they'll send you a coffin, you can send them the cadaver.)

Guy Clark

Suspended
Nov 28, 2013
London United Kingdom.
I take every thing Linus says with a big grain of salt. Remember his income is based on being controversial.
Not so. The likes of Linus, Louis Rossmann and Snazzy Labs are revealing the incompetence of Apple after sales service such as no one qualified to carry out repairs on the iMac Pro.
Remember Linus, Louis Rossman and Snazzy Labs are no more than revealing the truth regarding modern Apple and their shoddy practices.
Even the products are a shadow of their former selves. For example with the MacBook Pro too much has been sacrificed for the sake of thinness. Place the modern Retina MacBook Pro design against that of the design introduced in 2012 and the older is vastly more versatile and flexible connectivity wise. Yes I am of course making reference to Apple's obsession with USB-C.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
With regards to the 'new' charger, having got my 13" today I can confirm that while the charger still has 61W printed on it, it is now identified in System Information as "60W USB-C Power Adapter". I'm pretty sure the old one said 61W.

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 19.50.41.png

Reactions: MrUNIMOG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.