Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming macOS Mojave update to developers for testing purposes, two weeks after releasing the third beta and more than a month after introducing the software at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

macOS Mojave introduces a new method of installing software updates, so after you've installed the appropriate profile from the Apple Developer Center, additional betas can be downloaded clicking on the Apple in the menu bar, choosing "About This Mac" and clicking "Software Update." Alternatively, open System Preferences and choose the "Software Update" icon.

Today's beta is available for the 2018 MacBook Pro, so those who have purchased one of Apple's machines can now try it with macOS Mojave.

The macOS Mojave update brings a long-awaited systemwide Dark Mode, with Mojave users able to choose between a light theme or the new dark theme, which changes the color of the dock, menu bar, apps, and other elements. Dark Mode is accompanied by Dynamic Desktops, aka wallpapers that subtly change throughout the day.

Stacks, a new desktop organization system, keeps all of your desktop files neat and organized, while Finder has been enhanced with a Gallery View, a Sidebar, a revamped Quick Look option and Quick Actions, so you can do more in the Finder window than ever before.

Screenshots can now be edited using Markup tools and a new management options that also allow for easy screen recording, while Continuity camera, a new feature, allows you to import photos and document scans directly from an iPhone or iPad to the Mac.

macosmojaveimac-800x668.jpg

The Apple News, Stocks, Home, and Voice Memos apps have been ported from iOS to macOS as part of a multiyear project Apple is working on to make it easier to bring iOS apps to Macs, and Apple has introduced several new privacy protections to keep your data safer than ever.

Apple is also making it harder for websites to track you with a range of new Safari tools, and it's also easier to make and store secure, hard-to-guess passwords for each and every website.

Apple has added an entirely revamped Mac App Store to macOS Mojave that makes it easier to discover apps with a featured section and specific categories for games, creative apps, productivity apps, apps for developers, and more.

macosmojavemacappstore-800x461.jpg

macOS Mojave is available to developers and public beta testers to work out bugs and other issues ahead of an upcoming fall public release.

Update: macOS Mojave fixes the bug that prevented Dynamic Desktop from working while in Dark Mode, and it introduces a new Solar Gradient dynamic wallpaper option.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of macOS 10.14 Mojave to Developers

toptekjon

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Hopefully this means public beta update soon. I just got the new MacBook Pro 15, and it says I can't install Mojave on it. Guessing the drivers are not updated yet? Going back from dark mode is really awful :)

Reactions: iamtheonlyone4ever

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Build number is 18A336e

Ty, would you be so kind as to check something for me?

I reinstalled a fresh DP3 copy today, and my usual login password was not accepted at login. It contains caps, small letters, numbers and symbols.

After much trial and errors, I removed numbers and symbols from the password, and login started accepting the new password at each boot.

Could you see if your DP3/4 install shows the same behaviour?

iamtheonlyone4ever

Suspended
May 27, 2016
Hopefully this means public beta update soon. I just got the new MacBook Pro 15, and it says I can't install Mojave on it. Guessing the drivers are not updated yet? Going back from dark mode is really awful :)
let me see if I understood correctly. you said that you are going back because dark mode is awful
not only you are the first and only person so far that I seen mentioning that
but I think your case is more that you can't install it yet
dark mode is not an obstacle because you can use the normal regular mode
but for that you have to be able to install it

have you seen Mojave dark mode in any of your systems?
i'm not saying seeing dark mode in youtube videos
how you can judge something that you still haven't seen personally in your own system

me personally, I like many new features that Mojave is going to bring
but my favorite one is dark mode
I installed the betas and i saw it personally on my system
it looks beautiful
at least in my own opinion, you are free to disagree
cheers

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
FYI - build iterated from 18A326g (beta 3) to 18A336e (beta 4 - current). Excited for this one - should be super stable. Beta 3 has been so smooth for me on [that iMac in my signature]. I may even start backing up to Time Machine again.

Also, I have special characters in my login password and have had no issues logging in with b3.

Reactions: macintoshmac

sjshaw

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2004
Can't install it on my 2018 MBP 15. Keep getting an error message about "important content could not be downloaded at this time."

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Maybe you guys know, how do I refresh News when I open it other than to scroll down over-and-over simulating a pull down. The app should open and refresh right away, maybe I don't wait long enough or I am missing a button to refresh?

dkeane

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2014
Maybe you guys know, how do I refresh News when I open it other than to scroll down over-and-over simulating a pull down. The app should open and refresh right away, maybe I don't wait long enough or I am missing a button to refresh?
⌘R should work but it doesn't seem to do anything yet.

dbrandt6

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Michigan
Has anyone had a luck getting all the way through First Aid on Disk Utility? Mine always tells me I need to boot from the recovery disk.

JustiNYCity

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
Louisiana
let me see if I understood correctly. you said that you are going back because dark mode is awful
not only you are the first and only person so far that I seen mentioning that
but I think your case is more that you can't install it yet
dark mode is not an obstacle because you can use the normal regular mode
but for that you have to be able to install it

have you seen Mojave dark mode in any of your systems?
i'm not saying seeing dark mode in youtube videos
how you can judge something that you still haven't seen personally in your own system

me personally, I like many new features that Mojave is going to bring
but my favorite one is dark mode
I installed the betas and i saw it personally on my system
it looks beautiful
at least in my own opinion, you are free to disagree
cheers

I think you may have misread: "going BACK from Dark Mode is awful" - he has a new 15 in pro, unable to install mojave just yet and is missing dark mode running the beta. ;)

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
FYI - build iterated from 18A326g (beta 3) to 18A336e (beta 4 - current). Excited for this one - should be super stable. Beta 3 has been so smooth for me on [that iMac in my signature]. I may even start backing up to Time Machine again.

Also, I have special characters in my login password and have had no issues logging in with b3.

Have you ever installed a fresh Mojave installation? Till this morning I was on an upgraded from High Sierra install, and Login Password was working fine. The moment I erased the disk and installed DP3 fresh, I can't login using numerals and symbols in the password. :p

Upon further diagnosis, I realise that I cannot use # character in the password anymore, I tried using ! and that worked. So definitely some bug. Will report.

One more thing - LCD font smoothing is apparently enabled even if you have unchecked it.
[doublepost=1531776515][/doublepost]
Anyone notice a blurrier/darker font on their retina screen with this update?

Yes, that seems to me to be like LCD font smoothing enabled. However, checking unchecking does nothing.

Last edited:

Jimmy Bubbles

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Nashville, TN
Color me surprised. Maybe iOS 12 Beta 4? soon?!
My bet is on tomorrow for that. Be careful though, moderators like to delete comments that are “off topic” or a thread for iOS 12.
[doublepost=1531776795][/doublepost]
Can't install it on my 2018 MBP 15. Keep getting an error message about "important content could not be downloaded at this time."
Sounds like you have a defective MBP. Take it back and get the 2017 model. Lol

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
Have you ever installed a fresh Mojave installation? Till this morning I was on an upgraded from High Sierra install, and Login Password was working fine. The moment I erased the disk and installed DP3 fresh, I can't login using numerals and symbols in the password. :p

Upon further diagnosis, I realise that I cannot use # character in the password anymore, I tried using ! and that worked. So definitely some bug. Will report.

Interesting. I typically install over the top of whatever is existing (High Sierra in this case), then once GM is out I back up and reinstall over a clean disk/OS. Good to know! Weird bug.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Interesting. I typically install over the top of whatever is existing (High Sierra in this case), then once GM is out I back up and reinstall over a clean disk/OS. Good to know! Weird bug.

That is what I usually do too. For some reason, I just went ahead with a fresh install today and encountered this odd bug. Reporting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.