Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nomad today announced the launch of a new wireless charging accessory that's been designed specifically with new Tesla Model 3 vehicles in mind.

The Tesla Wireless Charger is a wireless charging dock developed for the iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and future iPhones, which fits perfectly into the Tesla Model 3 dash and connects to the two USB-A ports in the car.

teslacharger1-800x474.jpg

With the dual USB-A connection and a built-in 6,000mAh battery, the Tesla Wireless Charger offers 2A for faster 7.5W charging for Apple's iPhones, with two wireless chargers built into the device. With the dual setup, you can wirelessly charge two devices at once. While designed for iPhone, this is a Qi wireless charging setup that will charge any Qi-based device.

teslacharger2-800x622.jpg

An anti-slip rubber base is included to keep your devices in place while on the road, and for smaller phones, Nomad is including optional spacers. Built-in LEDs let you know if your phone is charging or fully charged at a glance.

teslacharger3-800x654.jpg

Nomad is selling the Tesla Wireless Charger for $150, but a $20 discount is available for customers who pre-order the accessory from the Nomad website starting today. Shipments of the Tesla Wireless Charger will begin on September 1.

Article Link: Nomad Debuts New Tesla Wireless Charger Made to Fit Model 3 Vehicles

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Jeffgtx

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
there is already wireless charging for the model s and volt and ELR. the company is called plugless power.

b-dogg

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009

This unfortunately - like most of BMW’s electric plans - is vapourware. Even if they seriously did sell and implement this wireless charging system the wasted power via heat and the low charging speed would offset any of the convenience. It only takes 2 seconds to plug a physical cable in with none of those drawbacks.

I’ve one of those Jeda pads ordered MONTHS via their kickstarter/website. They are taking forever to ship them. The only plus side is that Tesla are taking even longer to ship my Model 3!

Last edited:
Reactions: mcdspncr

iPrabhu

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Click bait :eek:. It's not the Tesla charger, it is a wireless charger for the phone for a Tesla car :D

nerdAFK

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2014
The battery is totally unnecessary, which skyrockets the price.
Another lame overpriced product.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
most Qi chargers for this space are about 90-100$, I think this having a battery and such is making it more $$.. I like Nomad devices though, I think their quality is quite good.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is all about partnerships. nomad did a fine job with this to be truthful!

When I first read the headline I thought they invented a wireless charger for the Tesla itself. Imagine if you can turn your parking space into a giant QI pad that charges your car. That’s totally gonna be a thing some day.

Dispite C1phers contribution wireless charging will be coming via Porsche home chargers using induction that we’re all used to courtesy of Qi; not to say that’s what Porsche will be using with its upcoming cross tourer or eMission.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
If anyone want to get one, you can get an additional 20% off with code 'FRND20'.
Code works, but sadly it only nets out the high shipping price and taxes. In CA at 122$ shipped (with the 20% off pre-order and 20% off coupon) I just can't justify it. Overall, it'll probably sap a tad bit of energy as well topping off the built in battery. I'm fine with plugging in my devices which takes oh about 2-3 seconds and charges faster.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
True inductive or wireless charing is pretty poor compared to any sort of physical metal connection. I have seen in europe some R&D around small metal connector chargers that are similarly under the vehicle and create a physical touch point that is able to transfer much more power reliably.

Equally, we may seen some forms of automation for putting in a physical plug at destination charges (like a tesla supercharger) or even at home. That will be interesting too.

BlueWave

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
This unfortunately - like most of BMW’s electric plans - is vapourware. Even if they seriously did sell and implement this wireless charging system the wasted power via heat and the low charging speed would offset any of the convenience. It only takes 2 seconds to plug a physical cable in with none of those drawbacks.

I’ve one of those Jeda pads ordered MONTHS via their kickstarter/website. They are taking forever to ship them. The only plus side is that Tesla are taking even longer to ship my Model 3!

You can already order this in Germany.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
The battery is totally unnecessary, which skyrockets the price.
Another lame overpriced product.

The battery is NOT unnecessary. What you want is the battery in this thing to be charged when the car is charging... and then you want this device to run on its own battery when the car is moving so that it doesn’t pull juice from the car and reduce range.

nerdAFK

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2014
The battery is NOT unnecessary. What you want is the battery in this thing to be charged when the car is charging... and then you want this device to run on its own battery when the car is moving so that it doesn’t pull juice from the car and reduce range.

LMAO. You seriously think charging an iPhone would result in a EV's range deduction? Do some math please.
You know how much juice the Model 3 has?
Enough to charge your iPhone for 5000 or 7000 times, depending on whether it's the standard or long range model.

oldMacGenius

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2018
San Francisco, CA
My Chevrolet Bolt has a phone holder slot with Qi charging built into it - Though every day I wish I could charge two devices with it, and that it could fit my 6” HP Elite X3. Maybe they could give the Chevrolet Bolt the same treatment!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.