Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google Maps was today updated with a new "Match" feature that's designed to offer up personalized restaurant recommendations based on a user's customized tastes.

The Match option allows users to tap on a food or drink spot to see if they're likely to enjoy a new spot based on past restaurant visiting history. The update also includes a list of how many restaurants have been visited in the Explore tabs trending feature.

googlemapsmatchfeature-800x637.jpg
Thanks for using Google Maps!

- Our new "match" feature will help you find your one true love. And by love, we mean your next favorite cheeseburger. Tap on a food or drink spot to see how likely you are to enjoy it based on your unique preferences - so you can spend more time eating and less time searching for places to go.

- When viewing trending lists in the Explore tab, you can now see how many restaurants you've been to. Keep discovering and going to new places to complete a list!
Google's Match feature was first outlined in May at Google I/O, and it rolled out for Android users in June before expanding to iOS users today.

Recommendations will take into account food and drink preferences selected in Google Maps, places you've been to, and places you've rated or added to a list. Scores for restaurants will get smarter over time with usage.

Google Maps can be downloaded from the iOS App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Maps for iOS Updated With 'Match' Customized Restaurant Recommendations

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
And yet I still can't navigate to my fourth most recent destination in the mobile app.
[doublepost=1533004682][/doublepost]
Just more Google collecting info on us down to what we eat.....no thanks. :thumbs down:
It might just be the basic recommendation algo Netflix and many others use: Look at what you went to, find people who went to the same places, and recommend things to you that those people also went to. With some buckets for location. That one is simple and works great.

They don't need to collect or store any identifying info for that, nor do you have to give them the identifying info in the first place (if you use a fake name on your Google account like you definitely should).

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I want my Maps apps to just show me maps and how to get to where I want to go.

When I'm looking for restaurants, I use Yelp or Opentable.

Reactions: FelixDerKater

linkmaster02

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009

When I'm looking for food, I always search "food" or "restaurant" or "lunch" in Google Maps, so this is helpful for people like me that don't use apps like Yelp or Opentable.

Reactions: fairuz

redgreenski

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2017
And yet I still can't navigate to my fourth most recent destination in the mobile app.
[doublepost=1533004682][/doublepost]
It might just be the basic recommendation algo Netflix and many others use: Look at what you went to, find people who went to the same places, and recommend things to you that those people also went to. With some buckets for location. That one is simple and works great.

They don't need to collect or store any identifying info for that, nor do you have to give them the identifying info in the first place (if you use a fake name on your Google account like you definitely should).

They don't have to but from business perspective it would be absolute unreasonable for them not to.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
They don't have to but from business perspective it would be absolute unreasonable for them not to.
If that's the case (not sure, check the EULA), they're already collecting the data, with or without the recommendation system.
[doublepost=1533070183][/doublepost]

But Yelp is awful, both the UI and the system.

redgreenski

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2017
If that's the case (not sure, check the EULA), they're already collecting the data, with or without the recommendation system.
[doublepost=1533070183][/doublepost]
But Yelp is awful, both the UI and the system.

They are not collecting my data. I don’t use gmail, google search, Android, google docs, google drive. I also block google scrips in my browser and no I don’t use chrome. I also use native apps made by apple and any non native apps I carefully read their terms and conditions to make sure nothing gets shared with google or Facebook.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
They are not collecting my data. I don’t use gmail, google search, Android, google docs, google drive. I also block google scrips in my browser and no I don’t use chrome. I also use native apps made by apple and any non native apps I carefully read their terms and conditions to make sure nothing gets shared with google or Facebook.
So you don't use Google Maps, same here. That's beside the point. I was replying to
> Just more Google collecting info
Point was the implementation of this recommendation system doesn't indicate that they're collecting any more info than they were before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.