Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Satechi today announced the launch of two new keyboards that have been designed for use with the iMac and iMac Pro.

The Aluminum Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard and the Aluminum USB Wired Keyboard offer up enhanced scissor switch keys and an extended keyboard layout with full numeric keypads. Each of the keyboards is available in silver, space gray, gold, and rose gold to match Apple's lineup of Mac devices.

There are built-in hotkeys designed for macOS that are able to play/pause media, switch between applications, adjust brightness, adjust volume, search, and more.

With the Aluminum Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard, up to three devices can be connected at once with three buttons available for quick switching between them. It features a built-in USB-C port for recharging the battery, which Satechi says has enough capacity for 80 hours of uninterrupted work. The keyboard can continue to be used while charging with a USB-C connection.

satechibluetoothkeyboard.jpg

The Aluminum USB Wired Keyboard connects to a USB-A port on an iMac or iMac Pro using an included USB-A cable and is ideal for those who prefer a wired connection to a Bluetooth connection.

satechiwiredkeyboard.jpg

The Aluminum Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard is priced at $79.99 and and the Aluminum USB Wired Keyboard is priced at $59.99.

satechikeyboards.jpg

Both of the keyboards can be purchased in silver today from the Satechi website or Amazon.com, while the space gray, gold, and rose gold options can be pre-ordered and will ship by the end of September.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Satechi and Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Satechi Launches New Wired and Wireless Aluminum Keyboards Designed for iMac and iMac Pro

jsalda

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2008
These things are ugly. If they were backlit, I may consider. But I think I'll sticky with my Apple keyboard.

Reactions: bmacir

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
But you could use a wireless Apple keyboard in a wired fashion by simply keeping it plugged in all the time. Don't really see much of an advantage to these keyboards over stock.

In fairness, perhaps these offer some people a keyboard feel or sound that is more to their tastes. But I, for one, really like the feel and sound of the new Apple wireless keyboards.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Don't really care for the bubbly keys, but I suppose if they were more squared off it would look too much like Apple's keyboard. It looks like they have more travel though, which is nice. The chamfered edge is a nice touch. Also I completely forgot that Apple makes gold and pink MacBooks. I never see them and I even work on a university campus. I see space gray a lot, however.

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
I may need to check these out. Wife's wired iMac keypboard is completely gross at this point (she's a writer who eats at her desk...don't get me started) and she's been asking for a new one. I was thinking bluetooth but she needs a number pad. So I like this better than the Apple offering without the numpad.

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
There's a market for these. They are definitely more affordable than the Apple equivalents, almost half the price of Apple's space gray magic keyboard and can be paired simultaneously with multiple devices. If I didn't already have the latest magic keyboards I would consider this model and the narrower version in the recent macrumors giveaway.

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
Fantastic! I don't know of another currently in production wired extended keyboard made for Mac.

Sure, you can use Apple's keyboard connected with a cord, but thats $150 for a wired keyboard.

$60 is still high for a USB keyboard, but what can you do.

pumpkinwhite

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2006
The Logitech solar Mac keyboard is a great option (I forget the model - k750 for Mac I think). I had it for years. Unfortunately, it died - but that might have been my toddler messing with it.

It goes on sale occasionally on Amazon for less than $40. It’s RF though, and will take up a USB port. Being RF is good and bad - depends on your need.

Thought I’ll weigh in with that option if anyone is interested.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Fantastic! I don't know of another currently in production wired extended keyboard made for Mac.

Sure, you can use Apple's keyboard connected with a cord, but thats $150 for a wired keyboard.

$60 is still high for a USB keyboard, but what can you do.

I can handle the price for a keyboard that won't have batteries that'll eventually die - the idea never made sense for me for most desktop situations. I'll be getting one.

ataq

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
This is a superb option for people like me prefering usb keyboards.

Additionally these are the first keyboards alongside apples with a nice design

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I just want the old Apple USB wired keyboards back. I have one on my work PC and love it but it’s nearly 10 years old and is in need of replacement. This just might be it.

I’d assume it would still work on a Windows 10 PC like any other generic keyboard. Though their site only specified iMac and OS X Tiger and up, haha.

Reactions: bernuli

stumpapi

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Maine
No backlight?

I’m still annoyed there is no wireless nor wired keyboard to fully power on a closed MBP. Oh well.

If you mean using an external keyboard in Clamshell mode I use a Microsoft Sculpt keyboard like that all the time. However, you are correct in that it lacks backlighting.
[doublepost=1536251994][/doublepost]I can’t help but wonder why none of these aftermarket keyboards are not ergonomic? I cannot use a standard keyboard and rely on Microsoft keyboards for that design.

With all of Apple’s accessibility features and marketing they have ignored those of us who need these.

pubb

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
Is it me or is the BT model perfect for MacbookPros with just 2TB ports?

I don't want to spend over $200 for OEM-ish BT keyboard and mouse. When hooked to a display, this would be ideal.

Reactions: csurfr

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Backlight would be an instant purchase. Still I have to take a look at this over the Apple Magic keyboard for use with my MacBook Pro.

Ohples

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2016
Raleigh, NC
These aren’t real Mac layout keyboards, there just rebadged PC ones.

Real Mac layout have 3 modifier keys on both sides of the space bar, not 4.

The only third parties I have seen that get it right are Matias and Logitech with there solar keyboard.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
These aren’t real Mac layout keyboards, there just rebadged PC ones.

Real Mac layout have 3 modifier keys on both sides of the space bar, not 4.

The only third parties I have seen that get it right are Matias and Logitech with there solar keyboard.

Mac portables do have four (the fourth also being Fn on the far left), so perhaps Satechi intends these to be usable with Mac portables as well as desktops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.