Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Since the end of 2017, Apple has been offering battery replacements for a discounted price of $29 to appease customers who were upset at device throttling resulting from degraded battery performance.

When announcing the new inexpensive battery replacement pricing, Apple promised to offer the discounted price for the entirety of 2018.

iphone-6s-battery.jpg

Now that we're nearing the end of the year, Apple has provided us with an updated support document on what battery replacements will be priced at after the price drop expires.

Starting on January 1, 2019, battery replacements for the iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus will be priced at $49, up from $29.

iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR battery replacements will cost $69, as will iPhone X battery replacements, and batteries for all older iPhones will cost $79.

At $49 and $69 for most devices, Apple is dropping the price of its battery repairs overall. Before the entire throttling snafu that resulted in the price drop, battery replacements cost $79.

Devices that are under an AppleCare+ or AppleCare+ Theft and Loss plan will not incur a fee if a battery replacement is required.

Customers with older iPhones that want to take advantage of the $29 battery replacement pricing should schedule a replacement before the end of 2018 before prices go up.

Article Link: Apple Shares New Pricing for Battery Replacements Starting January 1, 2019

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
Definitely replacing my 6s battery before the end of the year. Not sure if I'm keeping the phone, or if it will just help my resale value go up (Like New iPhone 6s with Brand New Battery!)

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
This is the only price drop from Apple any one has seen in a long time.

Given the work and warranty involved, I think $49 and $69 are fair prices.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Still reasonable prices. Everyone that needed one at $29 got one or should have gotten one.

I agree -- very reasonable prices. As for replacing mine and my wife's phones at $29, I will do so in early November. Might as well squeeze as much life as possible out of our existing battery!

Reactions: RowellE

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
I agree -- very reasonable prices. As for replacing mine and my wife's phones at $29, I will do so in early November. Might as well squeeze as much life as possible out of our existing battery!
ditto. I have a 7+ and do not see a real need to update to the new phones. I do hope to get a replacement for my iPadAir2 when new iPads are announced.

Love Divine

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2014
I have an X, bought in early 2018. Battery health at 90%. No Apple care.

Am I eligible for a $29 replacement before Jan 2019?

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Does the beta battery estimator thing work? It seems to think my day 1 6 Plus still charges to 93% capacity, which think sounds suspect.

Do you have to meet some criteria for the discounted replacement?

PdaRosa

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2018
I'm unfamiliar with this but is there any prerequisite to qualify for this or can anyone with a phone on this list make an appointment and get a new battery installed?

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I have an X, bought in early 2018. Battery health at 90%. No Apple care.

Am I eligible for a $29 replacement before Jan 2019?
According to the chart below, yes... but it also talks about “eligible” iPhones. It used to be the battery had to be <80% capacity before they’d replace it but I think that requirement has been suspended. Call Apple or go into a store if you have one near.

796BC675-9F25-462B-A7F3-893CF9F576ED.png

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
I have a 6S+ that needs a new battery, but I have to send it into apple (I don't live near an apple store). So, I will do so, as soon as I have a week where I know I'll be at my office so much I won't miss my phone (probably later this month. As for getting a new phone, I'm off contract and buy phones outright, so until the Xr comes contract free (usually a month or two after they are announced) I'm good with my old phone :)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I was going to replace the battery in my 6S before the end of the year... even though the battery is fine. But with the new regular price only being $49 (versus $79 before), I don't think I'll bother - I won't really need one for another year or two.

I'm going to keep this 6S going for as long as I reasonably can. There's just not a compelling reason for me to upgrade, and it's a great phone.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I was going to replace the battery in my 6S before the end of the year... even though the battery is fine. But with the new regular price only being $49 (versus $79 before), I don't think I'll bother - I won't really need one for another year or two.

I'm going to keep this 6S going for as long as I reasonably can. There's just not a compelling reason for me to upgrade, and it's a great phone.

$49 isn’t bad at all for my family that has 6s+ and may not wanna deal with Apple
Store before the end of the year

Also for
My iOS 10 SE. which has 200 something charges but 90% health still. Don’t wanna bother.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Let’s not forget, this is paying to cover their performance scam

Of course haha

But still; finally a fair shake from Apple on repair costs. Even if they had to get caught with their pants down and arm twisted to do it.

I’d be more worried about the new potential PR issue of how hard they milk customers with 5w and no dongle. For a plus sized battery and up across the board. And the retail prices. Apple is abusing their most loyal. And kinda tarnishing the brand by doing so. Like never before imo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.