Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple on Wednesday introduced the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, its new flagship smartphones, and the lower-priced iPhone XR.

iphone-xs-vs-xr-800x700.jpg

iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max are the latest and greatest models with the most features. That also makes them the most expensive, starting at $999 and $1,099 respectively in the United States, versus the iPhone XR at $749 and up.

To make the buying decision easier, we've put together a comparison of the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR below.

Just the Tech Specs

iPhone XR
6.1-inch LCD display
1792×828 resolution (326 PPI)
True Tone
Single 12-megapixel rear camera (wide-angle lens)
Single 7-megapixel front camera
Portrait Mode with Depth Control
Smart HDR photos
A12 Bionic chip
Face ID via TrueDepth sensors
Lightning connector
Fast charging capable: up to 50% charge in 30 minutes
Qi-based wireless charging
IP67-rated water resistance to a depth of 1 meter for up to 30 minutes
64GB / 128GB / 256GB
Dual SIM (Nano-SIM and eSIM)
LTE Advanced
VoLTE
802.11ac Wi-Fi with MIMO
Bluetooth 5.0

iPhone XS
5.8-inch OLED display
2436×1125 resolution (458 PPI)
True Tone
Dual 12-megapixel rear cameras (wide-angle and telephoto lenses)
Smart HDR photos
A12 Bionic chip
Lightning connector
IP68-rated water resistance to a depth of 2 meters for up to 30 minutes
64GB / 256GB / 512GB
Gigabit-class LTE
VoLTE
802.11ac Wi-Fi with MIMO
Bluetooth 5.0
HDR display
3D Touch

iPhone XS Max has a larger 6.5-inch OLED display and one-hour-longer battery life, but otherwise identical tech specs as the iPhone XS.

What do I lose with the iPhone XR?

With a $250 lower price point, the iPhone XR doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of the iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max. Apple had to make some trade-offs to get the price down, but not as many as one might expect.

We've explained the differences between the iPhone XR and iPhone XS in more detail below, but from a bird's eye view, expect some compromises related to the display, cameras, and overall design. Apple has also replaced 3D Touch on the iPhone XR with a new haptic feedback solution named Haptic Touch.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: iPhone XS vs. iPhone XR: Design, Tech Specs, and Price Comparison

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Seems that many, tech sites, YouTube reviewers, etc., et al., are recommending :apple: iPhone XR!

I think they'll sell like hot cakes! :)

I do as well. The price point, six color additions, A12 processor, wireless charging, Face ID, etc. The consumer is going to see this new form factor in a much cheaper price point under the iPhone XS.

And by Apple highlighting having a separate launch in October, gives it own limelight.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am definiently going XR between the two because I want the X form factor without the $250 difference.

Exactly. I was just saying in a post above that that’s exactly what the consumer will see is the new form factor with Face ID. Not every customer will care about an OLED display, or the latest camera features, etc. Especially with the rising cost of smart phones, the 6.1 XR was a much needed move by Apple.

Frankl2

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2011
Durham, NC
Earlier we saw articles saying Apple was going to get LCD screens for the XR from Japan Display. Those articles always noted that new Japan Display LCD screens permitted thin bezels and illustrated the point with a picture of a smartphone with extremely thin bezels surrounding a gorgeous picture of strawberries, So why are the bezels on the XR relatively thick?

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
I pre-ordered an iPhone Xs (256 GB Silver) this morning, but after reading the technical comparison of Xs vs. Xr, I wonder if I should have just waited for the Xr next month. I own an iPhone X which I love, but giving up OLED display and 3D touch is not exactly a deal breaker for me. Especially when you consider the price difference.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
[doublepost=1536953798][/doublepost]
I truly think that for 90% of the population, the XR is the way to go. Have have to have specific requirements, desires, preferences to need to go XS or XS Max.

Probably closer to 75% but agreed. I think there is just a bigger segment of XSMax users out there then people think. I think the Xs is the loser.

I was considering the Xs vs the Xr and I don't care about 3D touch. The additional camera is nice BUT I don't take that many pictures that would need it. The OLED is great BUT it's not worth a $250 upcharge + the additional $50 upcharge on Apple care for the X that's $300. That's nothing really to me BUT doesn't mean I want to spend it. I'll save that for a new set of series 2 earpods when they ship.

And honestly, I think the Aluminum looks better in the slate grey and Product Red and I prefer the feel of it over stainless steel. I actually might do the RED because it looks pretty damn sleek.

I pre-ordered an iPhone Xs (256 GB Silver) this morning, but after reading the technical comparison of Xs vs. Xr, I wonder if I should have just waited for the Xr next month. I own an iPhone X which I love, but giving up OLED display and 3D touch is not exactly a deal breaker for me. Especially when you consider the price difference.

I was debating the same thing...read my above. I'm going with Xr. Also the fact that 3D touch was omitted makes me think Apple is moving away from it.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The XR misses out on some of the nice bits - stainless steel, OLED, telephoto camera, but it still got some very nice treatment and features and I think has excellent value at $750. And just $50 to jump to 128GB right? I was quite surprised to see all of the photo stuff, including Portrait Mode come to the XR.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
The XR is going to be a massive hit with the general populace. Despite people complaining about its cost, it is actually a huge value proposition when you consider the screen size, battery life, color options, and the fact that it has all the latest and greatest internals (unlike the 5C did at launch). Those picky about IP68, OLED, dual cameras, and status symbols will spring for the XS of course, but everyone else should be perfectly happy with the XR. Perfect business move by Apple.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016

Apple on Wednesday introduced the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, its new flagship smartphones, and the lower-priced iPhone XR.

iphone-xs-vs-xr-800x700.jpg

iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max are the latest and greatest models with the most features. That also makes them the most expensive, starting at $999 and $1,099 respectively in the United States, versus the iPhone XR at $749 and up.

To make the buying decision easier, we've put together a comparison of the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR below.

Just the Tech Specs

iPhone XR
6.1-inch LCD display
1792×828 resolution (326 PPI)
True Tone
Single 12-megapixel rear camera (wide-angle lens)
Smart HDR photos
A12 Bionic chip
Lightning connector
IP67-rated water resistance to a depth of 1 meter for up to 30 minutes
64GB / 128GB / 256GB
LTE Advanced
VoLTE
802.11ac Wi-Fi with MIMO
Bluetooth 5.0

iPhone XS
5.8-inch OLED display
2436×1125 resolution (458 PPI)
True Tone
Dual 12-megapixel rear cameras (wide-angle and telephoto lenses)
Smart HDR photos
A12 Bionic chip
Lightning connector
IP68-rated water resistance to a depth of 2 meters for up to 30 minutes
64GB / 256GB / 512GB
Gigabit-class LTE
VoLTE
802.11ac Wi-Fi with MIMO
Bluetooth 5.0
HDR display
3D Touch

iPhone XS Max has a larger 6.5-inch OLED display and one-hour-longer battery life, but otherwise identical tech specs as the iPhone XS.

What do I lose with the iPhone XR?

With a $250 lower price point, the iPhone XR doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of the iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max. Apple had to make some trade-offs to get the price down, but not as many as one might expect.

We've explained the differences between the iPhone XR and iPhone XS in more detail below, but from a bird's eye view, expect some compromises related to the display, cameras, and overall design. Apple has also replaced 3D Touch on the iPhone XR with a new haptic feedback solution named Haptic Touch.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: iPhone XS vs. iPhone XR: Design, Tech Specs, and Price Comparison
Apple should be praised for their effort to make the “X” affordable product for all who want to have “X” type iPhone but for some reasons could not buy it due to financial or budget reason. I am glad Apple releasing this product for this customer market.

Kudos to Apple!!

Reactions: Sasparilla

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Or even my iPhone 6s Plus from 2015. The lack of 3D Touch and lower pixel density make the iPhone Xr a partial downgrade from a three-year-old iPhone...

I'm a big fan of 3D Touch and use it quite a bit. Wonder how it'll feel on the XR as people in the hands on area said it felt the same. I think someone said 'if you didn't say it wasn't 3D Touch specifically I would have assumed it was.'

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I think the screen will look bad, but have to see it first. It certainly isn’t an option for me as I have an X already. The XS is mildly tempting but they haven’t really improved Face ID so I might stick with the X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.