Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone-xs-right-aligned.jpg
MacRumors has received confirmation that the names of Apple's latest iPhone models are to be stylized with a capital X, followed by the S or R in Small Caps, which are lowercase characters resembling uppercase letters:
iPhone Xs
iPhone Xs Max
iPhone X?If the option to use Small Caps is not available, then both the X and S or R are to be stylized in fully capitalized letters:
iPhone XS
iPhone XS Max
iPhone XRIn other words: iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, and iPhone Xr with the final letter being lowercase is incorrect styling.

This might seem like trivial information to report, but there has been quite a bit of confusion over the past week in relation to the proper names of the latest iPhone models. Apple didn't help the situation, using everything from XS to Xs to Xs in Small Caps on its product pages, press releases, and support documents. Sometimes, the S and R are even in squares.

The final answer, we're told, is caps XS and XR. Apple even updated its iOS 12 press release, changing Xs and Xr to XS and XR:

iPhone names solved!I've received official confirmation that it is iPhone XS / iPhone XS Max / iPhone XR, capitalized, unless Small Caps are available, in which case it is iPhone Xs / iPhone Xs Max / iPhone X?. Apple even updated its iOS 12 press release with caps XS and XR. pic.twitter.com/sQpxb4HSRv - Joe Rossignol (@rsgnl) September 18, 2018

Now, we can move on.

Article Link: Apple Clarifies Formatting of iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR Names

javco

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Mexico
This would never happened with Jobs. It can be seen as a small detail a stupidity for must, but in fact reflects how Tim is not engaged at all, he is now a super star giving interviews to everyone and appearing everywhere he can.

Tekelley15

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Oh man! What a relief! These last 7 days had me tossing and turning in bed. I’m so glad y’all spent the time writing this story. Finally I can get some sleep. RIP apple induced insomnia.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So what are they going to do next year with the 11? XIS? XIR? X2S? X2R? 11S? 11R? Normally it would just be 11, but now it's segmented.

Also, iPhone XE, please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.