Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Watch app Cardiogram, which is designed to provide you with more information on the heart rate readings obtained from the Apple Watch, is teaming up with Greenhouse Life Insurance Company and Amica Life to offer up to $1,000 worth of accidental death insurance to Apple Watch owners.

Cardiogram users can get the deal starting today through the Cardiogram app for iOS. The offer is available in Wisconsin, Arizona, Indiana, and Georgia, and will be expanding to other states in the future.

cardiograminsurance-800x534.jpg

Greenhouse Life Insurance Company, launched from RGA, and Amica Life are the latest insurance companies to embrace the Apple Watch. Health and life insurance providers have been increasingly incorporating data from wearable devices into their plans to encourage preventative care.

Companies like John Hancock and Aetna, for example, provide discounted Apple Watch devices to their customers, encouraging them to be more active to improve health.
"Ultimately, life insurers save dollars by saving lives," said Brandon Ballinger, co-founder of Cardiogram. In multiple clinical studies, Cardiogram has validated the accuracy of its artificial intelligence-based algorithm, DeepHeart, to detect multiple chronic conditions - including hypertension, sleep apnea, diabetes and atrial fibrillation - using the heart rate sensor on consumer wearables. "This launch is a step toward using wearables to improve health. One of the first challenges we faced was to distill the complex world of life insurance into a simple set of screens that ordinary people can understand on their phones."
The Cardiogram accidental death insurance plan provides coverage in the case of a fatal accident. It is not as comprehensive as full coverage life insurance, but it does not require a medical examination. Customers who opt into a free $1,000 plan have the option to upgrade to $100,000 to $500,000 worth of coverage for $9 to $41 per month.

In addition to the Apple Watch, the program is also available for all devices that support Cardiogram, which includes accessories from Garmin and those that run WearOS from Google.

Cardiogram can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Cardiogram Partners With Life Insurance Company to Offer Apple Watch Owners No-Cost $1,000 Accidental Death Plans

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
"No cost"
...except for your privacy. You aren't getting $1,000 for dying and giving the insurance company nothing in return.

"Health and life insurance providers have been increasingly incorporating data from wearable devices into their plans to encourage preventative care."
Yeah. Insurance Companies aren't doing this out of the kindness of their own metaphorical hearts, or to encourage preventative care. They're simply hoping their customers will allow them to continuously monitor their vitals so that they can data mine your statistics, compare that data to the aggregate, and determine when they should increase your premiums once you start showing signs of heart health issues.

I immediately deleted Cardiogram when they started selling data to insurance companies.

busyscott

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
California
Goodness gracious is there a lot of whining here in this comments section. You all realize you have to voluntarily download the app and sign up for them to get any information right? Some people could care less if a health company has their vitals and if you do care, then just don’t download the app.

Reactions: LandRovers

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'd hate to be the person who has to market this. So, you died. Wanna give your loved ones 1,000 bucks? Eh?

brandonballinger

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2016
San Francisco
Hi there, I'm a co-founder of Cardiogram.

First, on privacy—we don't sell your data, and we don't share your information without your explicit action. If you're using the Cardiogram app and you don't choose to sign up for this new offer, RGAx (or any other partner) won't receive any information about you. We believe in giving people options, but not making the choice for them.

Second, if you sign up, your health data isn't used to change your premiums or deny you coverage. Part of why we chose accidental death insurance is that it's "guaranteed issue" (anybody who applies, and meets the age/location criteria, gets it) and the premiums don't depend on the results of a medical exam.

Finally, why would anybody want accidental death insurance? It's mostly helpful to people who have families -- for example, if you wanted to ensure that in case of an accident, your spouse could pay the mortgage, your kids would have money for college etc. It's generally simpler and cheaper than whole life insurance or term life insurance (which require a medical exam), and tends to be preferred by younger people where accidents (e.g., car crashes) are their biggest risk.

Does that help answer your questions?

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
"No cost"
...except for your privacy. You aren't getting $1,000 for dying and giving the insurance company nothing in return.

"Health and life insurance providers have been increasingly incorporating data from wearable devices into their plans to encourage preventative care."
Yeah. Insurance Companies aren't doing this out of the kindness of their own metaphorical hearts, or to encourage preventative care. They're simply hoping their customers will allow them to continuously monitor their vitals so that they can data mine your statistics, compare that data to the aggregate, and determine when they should increase your premiums once you start showing signs of heart health issues.

I immediately deleted Cardiogram when they started selling data to insurance companies.
This. **** Cardiogram.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE

First, on privacy—we don't sell your data, and we don't share your information without your explicit action. If you're using the Cardiogram app and you don't choose to sign up for this new offer, RGAx (or any other partner) won't receive any information about you. We believe in giving people options, but not making the choice for them.

Second, if you sign up, your health data isn't used to change your premiums or deny you coverage. Part of why we chose accidental death insurance is that it's "guaranteed issue" (anybody who applies, and meets the age/location criteria, gets it) and the premiums don't depend on the results of a medical exam.

Finally, why would anybody want accidental death insurance? It's mostly helpful to people who have families -- for example, if you wanted to ensure that in case of an accident, your spouse could pay the mortgage, your kids would have money for college etc. It's generally simpler and cheaper than whole life insurance or term life insurance (which require a medical exam), and tends to be preferred by younger people where accidents (e.g., car crashes) are their biggest risk.

I can’t say I entirely believe you, because 10 years from now you may have sold any interest that you have in the company and whoever is in charge then may feel differently than you do about privacy.

But thank you for explaining how your company does things and what it will and won’t do with the data.

brandonballinger

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2016
San Francisco
"No cost"

This. **** Cardiogram.

(Cardiogram co-founder here) I wrote more in the post above, but we don't sell your data, nor do we share it without your explicit consent. We want to give people options, but never make the choice for them. Does that address your concern?

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Goodness gracious is there a lot of whining here in this comments section. You all realize you have to voluntarily download the app and sign up for them to get any information right? Some people could care less if a health company has their vitals and if you do care, then just don’t download the app.

And if you don’t like how Facebook handles your data then just disconnect from speaking to all your family and friends!
[doublepost=1538074968][/doublepost]
Did Cardiogram pay for this article? The creepy company employee in the forum comments is very strange as well.

Pretty sure it’s a bot.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
"No cost"

Bingo!

Not to mention John Hancock and others are looking at agorhythms to detect smoking habits which affects your life insurance package. Not to mention of your privacy data, what is deemed Heathy varies from person to person based on their past life nutritional, physical practices, and hereditary genetic makeup.

Running 1/2 mile to me, a lifelong non smoker (occasional weed toner), who’s been in gymnastics, had ligaments in shoulder torn, participates in minor league soccer and track and fieles (100m/110m/Long Jump for 14yrs) , and regularly weight trains on/off yet yearly for 15yrs is VERY different to someone who’s never been physically active for 40yrs (roughly same age) or vs someone who’s run 15 miles daily for 10yrs with mild nurtrirional health and prior physical activity in their long life.

Being in the USA I’m user HMO’s will get this data and affect so many people’s coverage!

Link: https://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/trading-your-fitness-data-for-insurance-discounts-1.4834601

Although this is in acabada it’s referencinng John Hancock in the USA and what steps have already been offered as per similar to this article.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
"DeepHeart" -- LOL -- someone actually was paid to come up with that nonsense. After reading Dan Lyons' Disrupted, nothing coming out of this crowd shocks me anymore.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've used Cardiogram for awhile. I liked it a lot. Had a lot of cool options, etc... I know very little about the company but I liked the app and its encouragement for me to exercise.

I think a lot of people today are more aware of their data being stolen, so anything for free is going to be initially bashed. But I think its to encourage some to buy the paid for insurance options, my guess.

Kinda cool that the co-founder is here to answer questions. Nice to see a founder actually has had a Macrumors account for awhile, technically aware.

SnarkyBear

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
$1,000 Accidental death insurance is almost never paid out, as far fewer deaths are caused by accidents than by cancer, strokes, etc. Many companies offer a free $1k accidental death coverage because it is dirt cheap (heck, my credit union offers it for simply joining).

Besides, would your heirs be aware of this insurance policy, and would they be astute enough to try to collect it after your death? Most people sign up for it and then promptly forget all about it, so insurers rarely pay out anyway.

hortod1

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009

Until you’re hacked.

Medical information, in the right hands, could be just as valuable as financial information.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
(Cardiogram co-founder here) I wrote more in the post above, but we don't sell your data, nor do we share it without your explicit consent. We want to give people options, but never make the choice for them. Does that address your concern?
Not at all. I read your post above but you don’t address any of the concerns we expressed.

How does Greenhouse Life Insurance profit from this when they seemingly aren’t getting anything out of it? They’re just giving away free life insurance out of charity?

What is Cardiogram getting out of this partnership, aside from the marketing?

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
$1,000 Accidental death insurance is almost never paid out, as far fewer deaths are caused by accidents than by cancer, strokes, etc. Many companies offer a free $1k accidental death coverage because it is dirt cheap (heck, my credit union offers it for simply joining).

Besides, would your heirs be aware of this insurance policy, and would they be astute enough to try to collect it after your death? Most people sign up for it and then promptly forget all about it, so insurers rarely pay out anyway.

Does getting shot dead in a mass-shooting event counts as accidental death? (The shooter didn't specifically look for you)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.