Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DxOMark today published the results of its in-depth analysis of the iPhone XS Max's rear camera. Apple's flagship smartphone achieved an overall score of 105 points, trailing only the Huawei P20 Pro at 109 in the site's all-time rankings.

iphone-xs-max-dxomark.jpg

Note that the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max have identical camera specs, so this review applies equally to the iPhone XS.

In its testing, DxOMark found the iPhone XS Max to have "excellent" photo and video quality in bright light, with a "very wide dynamic range and good detail." In terms of photo quality, they found exposure in outdoor images "tends to be spot on," with high levels of detail and pleasant colors.

The review adds that Apple's new Smart HDR feature generates images with "very good target exposure and a wide dynamic range in all conditions."

iphone-xs-max-indoor.jpg
Backlit indoor scene shot on iPhone XS Max

iphone-x-indoor.jpg
Backlit indoor scene shot on iPhone X

Achieving a video score of 96, DxOMark said the iPhone XS Max shows "outstanding video quality in bright light."

DxOMark concludes that the iPhone XS Max has "one of the best mobile cameras" it has ever tested, with noticeable improvements in many areas over last year's iPhone X. Their review praises the iPhone XS Max camera as being "very reliable overall" and "consistently delivering good results."

dxomark-iphone-xs-max.jpg

In lower light, however, DxOMark found that noise becomes "a little more intrusive than with other high-end phones," adding that the iPhone XS Max's zoom capabilities lag somewhat behind the competition -- specifically, the Huawei P20 Pro. Beyond that, they say the device is a "surefire option for any mobile photographer."

For scoring and analysis in its smartphone camera reviews, DxOMark says its engineers capture and evaluate over 1,500 test images and more than two hours of video both in controlled lab environments and in natural indoor and outdoor scenes, using the camera's default settings. More on their methodology here.

DxO is a well-known French image lab that has been reviewing smartphone cameras for many years, but they've attracted some criticism. At the end of the day, camera quality is subjective, at least to some extent.

Article Link: DxOMark: iPhone XS Max is 'Surefire Option' With 'One of the Best Smartphone Cameras Ever'

CmdrPuffin

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2013
I find it really strange how all of these articles keep praising the iPhone XS Max and hardly ever mentioning the XS itself. They have the same specs and equipment other than the screen size and not everyone wants a monsterously huge phone.

acblue94

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
New York, NY.

DxOMark today published the results of its in-depth analysis of the iPhone XS Max's rear camera. Apple's flagship smartphone achieved an overall score of 105 points, trailing only the Huawei P20 Pro in the site's all-time rankings.

iphonexsrearcamera.jpg

In its testing, DxOMark found the iPhone XS Max to have "excellent" photo and video quality in bright light, with a "very wide dynamic range and good detail." In terms of photo quality, they found exposure in outdoor images "tends to be spot on," with high levels of detail and pleasant colors.

iphone-xs-max-indoor.jpg

Backlit indoor scene shot on iPhone XS Max

iphone-x-indoor.jpg

Backlit indoor scene shot on iPhone X

The review adds that Apple's new Smart HDR feature generates images with "very good target exposure and a wide dynamic range in all conditions."

Achieving a video score of 96, DxOMark said the iPhone XS Max shows "outstanding video quality in bright light."

DxOMark concludes that the iPhone XS Max has "one of the best mobile cameras" it has ever tested, with noticeable improvements in many areas over last year's iPhone X. Their review praises the iPhone XS Max camera as being "very reliable overall" and "consistently delivering good results."

dxomark-iphone-xs-max.jpg

In lower light, however, DxOMark found that noise becomes "a little more intrusive than with other high-end phones," adding that the iPhone XS Max's zoom capabilities lag somewhat behind the competition -- specifically, the Huawei P20 Pro. Beyond that, they say the device is a "surefire option for any mobile photographer."

DxO is a well-known French image lab that has been reviewing smartphone camera for many years, but they've attracted some criticism. At the end of the day, camera quality is subjective, at least to some extent.

Article Link: DxOMark: iPhone XS Max is 'Surefire Option' With 'One of the Best Smartphone Cameras Ever'

Yea so the XS has the same camera. So the article should said the XS and max have the best camera

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I find it really strange how all of these articles keep praising the iPhone XS Max and hardly ever mentioning the XS itself. They have the same specs and equipment other than the screen size and not everyone wants a monsterously huge phone.

I was just about to mention this!

Another article saying the iPhone XS Max has the best camera? But it has the SAME camera as the XS. Why not say the XS and XS Max have the best cameras, or just "XS", since they both include that name.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
But worse than LAST YEARS Pixel 2, now we have the Pixel 3 right around the corner. What happened to Apple being the phone camera king?

I mean I wouldn't necessarily say its "worse" than the pixel 2. I think its subjective, I think they both look great.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Solid upgrade from my 8+ that had almost the same camera as iPhone X.
In my opinion not a compelling reason to upgrade from X to Xs, but I got rid of the bezels and gained an OLED display so it was a huge difference to me. Really happy about the switch!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Every year these iPhone camera reviews come out for the new iPhone and every time the reviews state that the camera is "excellent". This has been going on for years.

But when they compare the new iPhone camera to the previous year's iPhone, the previous year's iPhone picture quality always looks like crap.

How can it be that a camera that was "excellent" last year now takes crap pictures this year?

Something is rigged here.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
I was under the impression that both the XS and XS Max have identical camera systems - in which case this result makes no sense to me. Or am I missing something?

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Pixel 3 should score good as well, but if they really wanted to be the best camera with no questions asked, they’d add a second camera for optical zoom. I mean, what’s stopping Google? Profits, I suppose.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Yea so the XS has the same camera. So the article should said the XS and max have the best camera

I was under the impression that both the XS and XS Max have identical camera systems - in which case this result makes no sense to me. Or am I missing something?

He's saying all the reviews are focused on the Max and not the XS. That's his point. He wants more info on how the XS stacks up against other phones.

It seems obvious what he was talking about.

In your rush to find something to be mad about you missed something.

Edit: This was poorly worded and conceived by me but I won’t edit out stupidity, but leave it to remind me to make better posts. I apologize to the posters in question and hope the below quote from the article helped someone.

“The article” said:
Please note: The smaller iPhone XS comes with identical camera hardware and software as the XS Max, so will likely achieve the same or very similar test results and scores as the latter. However, our testing was undertaken on the iPhone XS Max only.

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
He's saying all the reviews are focused on the Max and not the XS. That's his point. He wants more info on how the XS stacks up against other phones.

It seems obvious what he was talking about.

That bit yes, but the part about not everyone wanting a "monstrously huge phone". Not everyone has to have a monstrously huge phone, because as he said, the XS and Max are identical apart from size.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Nice to see this. From my experience, the camera has been a massive upgrade. Good to see the XS beating out the Note 9 and Pixel 2 as they were the nearest in terms of competition. I guess I am little surprised just how much better it is, but Apple did spend a good amount of time going over the improvements to the camera. Looks like it has paid off dramatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.