Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon is currently rolling out an updated version of its companion app for Alexa-enabled devices that includes a significantly redesigned user interface.

The visual changes are immediately apparent on firing up the app, and center around a new Devices and Groups tab located in the lower right of the screen.

alexa-app-update-800x395.jpg

With the new menu selected, the devices are listed in a horizontal strip along the top of the interface, allowing users to control individual smart lights, audio devices, and power outlets all from the same screen.

Below that, Alexa devices are also grouped by room indicated by colored cards, which have on/off buttons and can also be tapped to control and edit included devices.

Elsewhere, users can add new devices by tapping a plus button in the upper right of the interface, while the original clunky sidebar menu remains available via a button in the upper right.

The changes to the app come on the heels of Amazon's recent additions to its ecosystem of Alexa-powered devices, which include new Echo speakers, a subwoofer, amplifiers, a microwave, wall clock, and more.

The Amazon Alexa app is a free download on the App Store for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Amazon Alexa App Gains Redesigned Interface for Controlling Devices and Groups

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I haven’t used it yet but it’s a welcomed change. The old app was HORRIBLE and I tried to use it as little as possible.

It was way better than Google Home, though. Google’s app is one of the worst UI nightmares I’ve ever seen.

On a positive note, good for Amazon for all the recent improvements to the Alexa ecosystem. Amazon is playing to win!

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
It was way better than Google Home, though. Google’s app is one of the worst UI nightmares I’ve ever seen.

On a positive note, good for Amazon for all the recent improvements to the Alexa ecosystem. Amazon is playing to win!

Playing to win indeed. It’s still a shame that Apple is so far behind. They’ve always the potential to lead/win but the baby-steps approach it will take them years to rewch where Amazon is now. I’m still rooting for them but have lost faith.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Playing to win indeed. It’s still a shame that Apple is so far behind. They’ve always the potential to lead/win but the baby-steps approach it will take them years to rewch where Amazon is now. I’m still rooting for them but have lost faith.

I agree. HomePod is nice for what it is, but Apple’s competitors are putting their assistants in every room in the house. Apart from improving Siri, Apple needs a device in the under $50 category.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.