Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming iPad Pro could be one of its thinnest devices yet, measuring in at just 5.9mm thick, based on details shared by a leaker on Twitter who previously provided accurate details on the iPhone XS and XR ahead of launch.

According to Twitter user CoinCoin, the upcoming iPad Pro will measure in at just 5.9mm, and due to its thinness, there will be no room for Apple to include a headphone jack.

Of course no headphone jack on the upcoming new iPad. 5.9mm thickness is pretty good though. - CoinCoin (@coiiiiiiiin) October 12, 2018

The 5.9mm estimate matches up with alleged iPad Pro dimensions shared yesterday on Slashleaks, which suggested the new iPad Pro would measure 5.86mm thick.

slashleaksipadpro2018dimensions-800x548.jpg

It is also in line with current iPad Pro measurements. The existing 10.5-inch iPad Pro is 6.1mm thick, so it would make sense for a new model to be somewhat thinner.

It's likely the 5.9mm estimate applies to the smaller of the two 2018 iPad Pro models that Apple is expected to introduce, which could be somewhere around 10.5 to 11 inches in size. Apple's current 12.9-inch iPad Pro is thicker than the 10.5-inch version, measuring in at 6.9mm thick.

The iPad Pro dimensions shared on Slashleaks yesterday suggest the smaller iPad Pro will be 7 inches wide (178.52mm) and 9.7 inches tall (247.64mm), while the larger model will be 8.5 inches wide (215mm) and 11 inches tall (280.66mm).

slashleaksipadpro2018smaller-800x481.jpg

We've seen similar dimension estimates in earlier rumors from Japanese site Mac Otakara, suggesting the smaller iPad Pro will measure in at 247.5mm tall, 178.7mm wide, and 6mm thick, while the larger model will measure 280mm tall, 215mm wide, and 6.4mm thick.

slashleaksipadpro2018larger-800x481.jpg

Comparatively, the current 10.5-inch iPad Pro measures in at 6.8 inches wide (174.1mm) by 9.8 inches tall (250.6mm), while the 12.9-inch model measures in at 8.68 inches wide (220.6mm) by 12 inches tall (305.7mm).

Bezels on the new tablets could measure in right around 6mm at the top, bottom, and sides, with the 7.2mm measurement on the Slashleaks document perhaps referring to bezel thickness with side button included.

Multiple prior rumors have indeed suggested that the next-generation iPad Pro models will feature slimmer bezels all the way around, with the top bezel housing a TrueDepth camera system for Face ID. The bottom bezel is slimmer than in existing models because Apple plans to remove the Home button.

Coming back to the prediction of no headphone jack, this isn't the first time we've heard that rumor. Back in July, Mac Otakara also said that the upcoming iPad Pro models will not include a headphone jack. iPhone models have not offered a headphone jack since the iPhone 7, with Apple instead encouraging customers to use Bluetooth headphones like the AirPods or Lightning-based solutions.

The info shared on Slashleaks is likely from a case maker and because it's supported with data obtained from other sources, it's quite possibly accurate. Aside from the dimensions of the new iPad Pro models, the info also confirms the presence of a new Smart Connector at the back of the two tablets.

slashleakscaserendering-800x600.jpg

Other 2018 iPad Pro rumors suggest the device will feature a USB-C port instead of a Lightning port, a faster A12X chip, and support for a second-generation Apple Pencil.

It's not clear when the new iPad Pro models will be announced, but their debut is likely coming soon. We're expecting Apple to hold an event at some point in October, with the end of October looking like the most probable option.

Article Link: Upcoming 2018 iPad Pro Could Be 5.9mm Thick With No Headphone Jack

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
It was proven that at 6.1" thick the device can bend very very easy....now on 5.9" really? i mean users will now have to be careful how they hold their next ipad pro in landscape in their hands...a little flex will bend the device??
I hope will not be true...6.1"mm its minimum with aluminium 6000 series

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
Sorry, but Apple has no business calling this "Pro" if they pull the headphone jack. They would be much better pulling their heads out of their a%^&s than the headphone jack from something that audio and video professionals are supposed to use.
If, in fact, they do jettison the lightning port for a USB type C port, that might give them some credit in the "Pro" department.

Asarien

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2015
Y'know, I can buy their cock and bull about needing the internal space on an iPhone, but iPads are larger and are utilized in a significantly wider scope of scenarios, some of which uses the headphone jack to output audio without the need of toting additional dongles or adapters.

But whatever. This company is deep in their bubble and stopped caring about real-world usage long ago.

Pelea

Suspended
Oct 5, 2014
Good. No one uses headphones on an ipad anyway. If you want to use headphones u should just buy the $160 AirPods.

edit: Just because you think you need wired headphones on an ipad doesn't mean you're right. if Apple is removing the headphone jack it's because you don't need a headphone jack.

Last edited:

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Sorry, but Apple has no business calling this "Pro" if they pull the headphone jack. They would be much better pulling their heads out of their a%^&s than the headphone jack from something that audio and video professionals are supposed to use.

Careful, you'll stir up the portphobes on this site who'll start on you about the correlation between professional activities and 3.5 mm prehistoric technology. ;)

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
Y'know, I can buy their cock and bull about needing the internal space on an iPhone, but iPads are larger and are utilized in a significantly wider scope of scenarios, some of which uses the headphone jack to output audio without the need of toting additional dongles or adapters.

But whatever. This company is deep in their bubble and stopped caring about real-world usage long ago.
In 20 years the iPad will just be an impenetrable glass block

joshuakrey

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
Sorry, I haven't been keeping up lately, but is there supposed to be a new base-level iPad reveal this month, or is it anticipated to just be the Pros? I don't really need a Pro level iPad and looking to keep around the $400 mark. Didn't want to pull the trigger on the current 9.7" if a new one is coming out soon.

Reactions: FairlyKors

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I don't care about shaving .02mm off the thickness, I'd rather have a battery that's .02 mm thicker

Are you new here? Eventually, Apple will eject the entire battery out to a separate add-on (sold separately). Thin, thin, thin. Ideally, we get to a point where we open a box we paid- oh say- $3K for and can't even see a product inside.

The electron microscope to use it (if we can find it) sold separately too.

Well, say what you want, but this is probably going to be the most beautiful Apple device of all time… Probably Steve’s vision of what the Mac would become one day…

Personally, I doubt it. I suspect Job's vision passed with him. I believe the "trucks" would be different if Jobs was still in command. I certainly believe it would at least appear they are more important to Apple regardless of how much more money Apple makes on iPhone. Jobs seemed to love the money too (and detested debt) but he didn't seem to let stockholder obligations override Apple product dev.

I'd love to see a parallel universe Apple where Jobs did not pass. I believe I'd upgrade a number of Apple products while visiting that universe ASAP. In this universe, I find myself clinging to some aging Apple stuff hoping something happens to shift Apple back towards a version that doesn't seem so overwhelmingly focused on shareholder delights no matter what.

Still trying to figure out what the heck that smart connector is doing on the back...

A proprietary something to sell add-ons to drive up average revenue per-unit-sold... and/or add licensing revenue from third parties.

But hey: we ALL know that Apple got tremendous consumer demand for even thinner iPads PLUS overwhelming calls to get rid of that terrible headphone jack too. "We want less utility in our devices." #EmbraceTheDongle

Now where is that beautiful notch so many of us swear by? If not there, why not? And regardless, where can I buy notch stickers to add notches to all of my screens? My 4K TV looks so antiquated without a notch! My windows look so retro without notches. #EmbraceTheNotch

All ;) (except that Jobs and the "trucks" part).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.