Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max became available to order less than a month ago, the rumor mill is already looking ahead to next year.

water-iphone-xs-800x608.jpg

In a research note to investors, shared by the Taiwanese publication Economic Daily News, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said 2019 iPhones will have the same IP68-rated water resistance as the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max. Both devices are water resistant up to a depth of two meters for up to 30 minutes.

Kuo said that "the new iPhone waterproof specifications will remain unchanged next year," according to a translated version of the report.

IP codes refer to the degree of protection an iPhone has against dust and liquid. The "6" means the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max are dustproof, while the "8" represents the highest level of liquid resistance.

IP68 is effectively the highest rating iPhones can achieve under the IP code standard, but there is no limit on conditions like water depth and pressure. 2019 iPhones could have had IP68-rated water resistance up to three meters, for example, but that will not be the case according to Kuo.

This isn't really bad news, as YouTubers have subjected the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max to a variety of extreme underwater tests, and the devices have generally remained functional. That doesn't mean you should go swimming with your bare iPhone, however, as liquid damage is only covered with AppleCare+.

All in all, this is a relatively minor data point about 2019 iPhones, but one to add to the list as we continue to learn about next year's models.

Article Link: Kuo: 2019 iPhones to Have Same Water Resistance as iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Hey, I think the water resistance on the iPhone is just fine now. What I really wanna see is the same water resistance the iPhone enjoys applied to the iPads! I travel & backpack a lot. The iPad is my go to device for editing photos & videos while on the road. Although I protect it while traveling, I am always nervous about my iPad during a downpour while backpacking thru different countries. I would feel a whole lot better if Apple gave their iPads better water resistance like their iPhones.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m more curious about the XR replacement/upgrade.
If they even make another generation, I am thinking we will get a 512 GB storage option. Oh the excitement! /s

I don’t usually do sarcasm, but I think I need another cup of coffee because this gray day is darkening my soul.

Edit to add: Siri has improved. It has stopped hearing me wrong most of the time. I am using it a lot but in the same way I use Bixby on my S9+. I use it as a verbal shortcut to the functions of my phone. I do ask it questions and it answers them better than it used to. So yes, there’s evidence some work is being done to Siri. Baby steps.

Last edited:

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
If I had an umbrella with a waterproof phone, I still wouldn't deliberately get it wet like the photo is depicting.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Does IP68 mean no more iPhone leaks?

Maybe Apple will do a Spinal Tap and crank the iPhone XI all the way up to IP79 for that magical “one more thing”

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Those things might be dust proof, but pocket lint can and will render the Lightning port inoperable until the lint is removed.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Kuo really going out on a limb here with this prediction...
[doublepost=1539617909][/doublepost]
Those things might be dust proof, but pocket lint can and will render the Lightning port inoperable until the lint is removed.

Only one reasonable option I can see: time to finally remove the lightning port.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Kuo really going out on a limb here with this prediction...
[doublepost=1539617909][/doublepost]

Only one reasonable option I can see: time to finally remove the lightning port.

Like most of his predictions ...... think of something then one week say that something is true, and then the following week say it is false. Claim to be Nostradamus when one of you "predictions" is true.

Reactions: lars666

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
Hey, I think the water resistance on the iPhone is just fine now. What I really wanna see is the same water resistance the iPhone enjoys applied to the iPads! I travel & backpack a lot. The iPad is my go to device for editing photos & videos while on the road. Although I protect it while traveling, I am always nervous about my iPad during a downpour while backpacking thru different countries. I would feel a whole lot better if Apple gave their iPads better water resistance like their iPhones.

Me too!
I have a makeshift stand I set my 10.5” iPad on to watch Netflix or Prime while I’m taking a soak... still, always nervous that somehow it will hop into the tub with me, lol.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Me too!
I have a makeshift stand I set my 10.5” iPad on to watch Netflix or Prime while I’m taking a soak... still, always nervous that somehow it will hop into the tub with me, lol.
That’s cool...just as long as your iPad isn’t plugged in while you take a soak!

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
That’s cool...just as long as your iPad isn’t plugged in while you take a soak!

Sounds like an episode of CSI. ;0)

But seriously... I’ve always thought waterproofing would be great on iPad!
I like to use it to listen to music while shaving, to play singalong songs for my daughters while bathing them, etc.
Lol, also with it replacing the old “newspaper or magazine, while on the john”, I’d say that they get a fair bit of use by many people in a room with multiple water sources (including steam), in a fairly small area- couldn’t hurt to have some additional protection worked into the device!
Also hoping they have those new “toughest glass ever” screens... recently found out the hard way just how expensive the 10.5” screen was to replace. =/
[doublepost=1539624015][/doublepost]
My money is XI and XI Max

I hope they stick w/ X & go with code names!
(like MacOS, née OS X)

MrJeffreyGee

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
I remember when LifeProof was the ****. I wonder what ever happened to that company. It was so annoying when they took forever to put out a case when a new iPhone was released. Not to mention when they changed material quality and cases were less durable.

Oh, and yeah... The iPad needs serious waterproofing too Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.