Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a new report by The New York Times today, Apple let a reporter take a glimpse inside the human curation process of its Apple News service. The article looks into Apple's news strategy (which is focusing less on algorithm-led news curation like its rivals), the service's future integration with Texture magazine subscriptions, and its issues with ad revenue.

Providing context, the NYT explains how the rise of Google and Facebook came with news delivery that was driven in part by algorithms. While this enabled the companies to point users towards millions of articles, boosting clicks and shares and driving traffic to various sites, the process ended up sometimes emphasizing articles that were sensational, misleading, highly partisan, or simply false. Although both Facebook and Google have now highlighted methods to fight back against "fake news," some view it as too little too late, and now Apple is taking a different approach.

apple-news-NYT.jpg
Apple News editor in chief Lauren Kern via NYT

With Apple News, users can select the publishers they like the most, as well as interests like tech or entertainment, and Apple will surface relevant articles every day. The human curation aspect of Apple News comes on the app's main screen: every top article you see is hand selected every day by the company's editors. According to Apple News editor in chief Lauren Kern, "There is this deep understanding that a thriving free press is critical for an informed public, and an informed public is critical for a functioning democracy, and that Apple News can play a part in that."

Following the events of the 2016 presidential election and revelations about Russian spies using algorithm-focused news curation sites to spread misinformation, Apple "remained convinced of the benefits of people."
"We are responsible for what's in there," Roger Rosner, Apple's chief of apps and Ms. Kern's boss, said about Apple News. "We're not just going to let it be a total crazy land."
Kern joined Apple from New York Magazine, and now leads around 30 journalists located across Sydney, London, New York, and Silicon Valley. Among hundreds of pitches from various publishers, the team picks five stories that sit atop Apple News every day, the top two of which also appear in the Apple News widget.

In the interview, Kern explains that there are just some stories that don't pass "the smell test," which has led Apple to avoid covering certain events that were heavily shared across Google News, Facebook, and Twitter. In one example, Apple News did not run a story posted by ABC News concerning the Robert Mueller investigation. As an explanation, Kern explained that the Apple News team's methods can't be "baked into an algorithm."

The main concern brought up in regards to human editors are their potential bias toward certain political coverage. In response, Kern says that bias can be baked into an algorithm's code, and that humans offer far more subtly in the decision making process of sharing the news.
Ms. Kern criticized the argument that algorithms are the sole way to avoid prejudice because bias can be baked into the algorithm's code, such as whether it labels news organizations liberal or conservative. She argued that humans -- with all their biases -- are the only way to avoid bias.

"We're so much more subtly following the news cycle and what's important," she said. "That's really the only legitimate way to do it at this point."
Some publishers remain concerned with Apple News' future, particularly because of Apple's ad revenue policies. For one, readers on Apple News stay inside of Apple's app for the most part, curbing ad revenue for the publisher of the article and limiting data from direct clicks to the sites. While publishers can sell ads on their stories in Apple News, most say the process is complicated and that advertiser interest was low because of the lack of consumer data.
Some were optimistic that Apple could be a better partner than other tech giants, but were leery of making the company the portal to their readers. "What Apple giveth, Apple can taketh away," said Bill Grueskin, a Columbia University journalism professor and a former editor at The Journal, Bloomberg and other publications. Once readers are trained to get their news from Apple, he said, news organizations will realize: "You're at the mercy of Apple."
Looking to the future, Apple next plans to integrate a magazine subscription service -- acquired through Texture -- into Apple News. When asked about Apple potentially reporting the news itself and not just curating it, Apple's chief of apps Roger Rosner said, "We don't talk about future plans, but that's certainly not what we set out to do." Asked for further clarification, Rosner responded, "Who knows?"

While concerns over ad revenue and the app's future remain, many publishers were positive about Apple News when asked about their opinion of the service. New York Magazine chief product officer Daniel Hallac noted that traffic from Apple News had doubled since last December, as Facebook dropped and Google remained the dominant source of the site's traffic. Looking at the growth, Hallac said that he's "optimistic about Apple News."

To read the full story, head over to The New York Times: "Apple's Radical Approach to News: Humans Over Machines"

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Human Curation Sets Apple News Apart From Algorithm-Focused News Sources Like Google and Facebook

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Let mama Apple tell you what you should hear. All these news conglomeration sites (Apple News included) are filters. If you want to look at the world through someone else's filter, knock yourself out.
If not - maybe just go to the sources you trust?

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
"Ms. Kern criticized the argument that algorithms are the sole way to avoid prejudice because bias can be baked into the algorithm's code, such as whether it labels news organizations liberal or conservative. She argued that humans -- with all their biases -- are the only way to avoid bias. The main concern brought up in regards to human editors are their potential bias toward certain political coverage. In response, Kern says that bias can be baked into an algorithm's code, and that humans offer far more subtly in the decision making process of sharing the news".

Curation or censorship? Human bias only way to avoid bias? What utter BS! I'll make up my own mind thank you. I don't need you to tell me what's real or important for me to know.

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Personally not a fan of human curation of algorithms. Back when they announced the new iTunes I was so excited but then dismayed to hear they were anti algorithms and pro human curation. YouTube Music for instance nails my specific tastes everytime as did Pandora mostly and Spotify. But Apple Music was almost always a total miss. They know what I've listened to and play those artists but not the right songs at the right time, or importantly modern covers of songs I've previously loved.

Same goes with Apple News, it shows the sources I subscribe to, but doesnt surface the articles in particular tech I want compared to Google News which surfaces all of those and even local news I'd find relevant.

Of course this is because Google and others track everything so they can use algorithms to tailor exactly what I want (at the cost of our privacy). Apple doesn't do this with our privacy but at the cost of not having good algorthms and instead have to focus on human curation which depending on your tastes maybe a good thing but not for many others.

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018
sometimes i think curation and apps like google and apple news arent good; by curating and serving news based on your tastes and preferences will narrow the stuff you read. i try to read WSJ, economist and local newspaper before using app to read topics that interest me

Reactions: SEmAN

RudySnow

Suspended
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
Let mama Apple tell you what you should hear. All these news conglomeration sites (Apple News included) are filters. If you want to look at the world through someone else's filter, knock yourself out.
If not - maybe just go to the sources you trust?

Obviously you have no idea how Apple News works. You control the filters—allowing certain news sites, disallowing others—and you can easily make this a very personalized news aggregator. Why would you make a comment like that if you have no idea what you’re talking about? I call this a “fake post.”

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Just waiting for the day I can add the PRSI to Apple News…

EDIT: What's with that photo? it's like they're all behind a layer of fog.

hazey.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: keysofanxiety

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
sometimes i think curation and apps like google and apple news arent good; by curating and serving news based on your tastes and preferences will narrow the stuff you read. i try to read WSJ, economist and local newspaper before using app to read topics that interest me

Correct. News is a self-selected confirmation bias.
Most people read/watch news that agrees with their pre-existing point of view.

I have heard it suggested that we should take time to read and watch news from sources that we do not normally agree with, to challenge and make us think, and perhaps come up with cognitive arguments to refute what we have heard, or occasionally accept that alternate point of view.

But for many people, that level of insight, to be able to change your mind, or accept someone else is right, when you are wrong.. that just doesn't happen very often!

breather

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
Sweden
While publishers can sell ads on their stories in Apple News, most say the process is complicated and that advertiser interest was low because of the lack of consumer data.

"Lack of consumer data"... well, that's a good thing for us, right? I mean, Apple doesn't give away our data to easily sell advertisements?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.