Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At IFA Berlin in August, ZENS revealed three new Qi-compatible wireless chargers, including a Single Aluminum Wireless Charger, Dual Aluminum Wireless Charger, and Dual + Watch Wireless Charger. ZENS sent me the MFi certified Dual + Watch charger for the purpose of this review, and I've been using it as my main iPhone X and Apple Watch charging dock for the past week.

zens-review-7.jpg

The charger has a mat with support for up to two Qi-enabled smartphones, including the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, X, and later devices. Each section of the mat has a max total output of 10W, so the Dual + Watch Charger does support Apple's 7.5W fast charging feature for the iPhone. Sitting above the mat is a perch for Apple Watch with a built-in inductive charging puck, which supports all models of Apple Watch.

Daily Use

In my testing, the ZENS Dual + Watch dock has performed just as well as other wireless chargers I've owned over the past few months from Belkin, RAVPower, and Mophie, with a few pros in comparison to those brands, and some cons. To start with pros, I've found the ZENS stand to be quite lenient in regards to positioning of my iPhone on the mat.

zens-review-1.jpg

Of course, a nice symmetrical position over the designated power logos is ideal, but even when I threw my iPhone on the stand off-kilter a charge was registered. I mostly use Belkin's Boost UP wireless charger, which is one of the more finicky Qi mats and requires a very specific iPhone position for charging, so I was happy that ZENS allowed for a bit of a messier approach.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: The ZENS Dual + Watch Wireless Charger Offers Versatile iPhone and Apple Watch Charging

Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I may have to buy this. I use a little bumper case on my Apple Watch and I’ve been using the Belkin aluminium charge that looks a lot like this for my iPhone and Apple Watch. But it won’t charge the new iPhones, and Belkins wireless replacement doesn’t look like it’ll accept watches in bumper cases.
Although it’s a bit annoying you have to lay the iPhone down flat and not stood up.

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
But realistically, who has two phones and one Apple Watch? Maybe people with a job that requires a separate phone, maybe people with a tech fetish who would buy two phones just for the fun of it... but these types are few and far between.

Even Apple’s “triple charger” idea of using Watch/Phone/Airpods doesn’t make much sense because the Airpods are charged rather infrequently.

I just don’t see the point.

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
But realistically, who has two phones and one Apple Watch? Maybe people with a job that requires a separate phone, maybe people with a tech fetish who would buy two phones just for the fun of it... but these types are few and far between.

Even Apple’s “triple charger” idea of using Watch/Phone/Airpods doesn’t make much sense because the Airpods are charged rather infrequently.

Meeee

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013

Someone with a significant other that, you know, also has a phone...?

roblognick

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014
United Kingdom
With the two charging points I assume you could use the the spare one for AirPods once the wireless case / new version for those is released?

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Clearly I’m not the target market, but I feel compelled to state that I would never spend $100 on a charger. Not even 75.

freemyheart

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2018
I'm on the fence about this, mostly because I want to be sure that the Airpods2 will be able to be charged on it simultaneously with my XS Max and S3 watch.

I don't think Airpods1 can be charged via a wireless device.

Might have to wait for the Airpower. Was very disappointed with the Airpods1 fit and quality. I'm hoping the Airpods2 will fit better and sound doesn't constantly drop in and out when walking through downtown in a major city.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.