Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced that two of its retail stores in the United States will reopen over the next week following months of renovations, while two brand new locations are also expected to open in Paris and Bangkok.

thirdstreetpromenade_hero.jpg
Apple Third Street Promenade prior to renovations this year

Apple The Westchester in White Plains, New York is set to reopen Saturday, November 10 at 10 a.m. local time, while Apple Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica, California is slated to reopen Saturday, November 17 at 10 a.m. local time. Each store has received a facelift based on Apple's latest retail design.

Apple is celebrating the reopening of its Third Street Promenade store with colorful artwork and Today at Apple sessions.

apple-third-street-promenade.jpg

"We're celebrating the vibrant creative minds that fill Santa Monica with color through a new wave of inspiring Today at Apple sessions," the store listing on Apple.com says. "From snapping creative selfies to developing a unique sound — and an hour of discovery just for kids — it's all happening at Apple."

Apple Third Street Promenade first opened in 2003, before relocating in 2012 to a larger space with a glass rooftop. The Third Street Promenade is a pedestrian-only, outdoor shopping district in the downtown area of Santa Monica.

Apple The Westchester is located in an indoor shopping mall of the same name in downtown White Plains, New York, an affluent community in Westchester County, roughly 30 miles north of Midtown Manhattan. The store originally opened in September 2002 as one of Apple's first 50 retail locations worldwide.

Elsewhere, Apple previously announced that its first retail store in Thailand will open at the Iconsiam shopping mall in Bangkok on Saturday, November 10 at 10 a.m. local time. Like the Third Street Promenade store, Apple is celebrating its first Thai store with special artwork and Today at Apple sessions.

apple-champs-elysees-paris.jpg

And in Paris, France, a brand new Apple Store will "soon" open along The Avenue des Champs-Élysées, one of the city's most iconic streets. The store will replace the nearby Apple Carrousel du Louvre, which permanently closed last month.

Update: Apple Champs-Élysées opens Sunday, November 18. The grand opening will take place at 12 p.m. local time, according to iPhon.fr's Laurent Gatignol.

(Thanks, Akaba!)

Article Link: Apple Store Openings Later This Month: The Westchester, Third Street Promenade, Bangkok, and Champs-Élysées

Last edited:

pete2106

Suspended
Dec 7, 2012
The Apple Store in Belfast opened years ago and has remained largely untouched. I wish they'd hurry up and do something with it. It's too small and looks so rough.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Awesome, can’t wait to see how the Westchester store turned out. They bought out a Bose store that closed next to it, so they surely expanded it.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Awesome, can’t wait to see how the Westchester store turned out. They bought out a Bose store that closed next to it, so they surely expanded it.

With the "victory" of Beats over Apple, Apple and Bose are true natural enemies.:p

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
The Apple Store in Belfast opened years ago and has remained largely untouched. I wish they'd hurry up and do something with it. It's too small and looks so rough.
The Norwich store is the same. Opened in 2009 and hasn't changed at all. Looks a bit shabby these days.

Reactions: pete2106

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
This Champs Élysées store has got to be the best looking one hands down. The 5th Ave. store was always the best IMO with the I.M. Pei Louvre pyramid inspired cube.

By the way I just looked up I.M. Pei and the dude is still alive! 101 years old! That’s remarkable!
[doublepost=1541531874][/doublepost]
How about 5th Ave NYC? When is it gonna reopen?

Who knows? I miss entering through the cube. I wish FAO Schwartz was still there. Best toy store ever! Nothing came close!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
hopefully they did something about the horrible noise levels in the santa monica store. it's technically my closest but it was literally painful to go in there

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
When my wife and I were in Paris back in September, I was quite shocked there was not an Apple Store along the Champs-Élysées with all the other high end stores.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I was at the original Third Street Promenade grand opening, and perhaps I'll be at this one too. It's a very busy store, full of both locals and tourists.

It's easier to get to than in the past, because in 2016 the L.A. metro system added a train from downtown L.A. to Santa Monica.

Moi Ici

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Sorry about your store in Belfast............at least you have one.
I sound like a broken record, however I’ll continue until Apple open a store in Ireland.
Knock knock Apple “OPEN A STORE IN IRELAND”!!! Thanks...

also, the people of Belfast are some of the nicest people I’ve ever met! Super friendly.

Reactions: pete2106

OPD

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018
Every post like this makes me jealous that Toronto still lacks a proper Apple store downtown
first option: you have the apple store Sainte Catherine in Montreal.
On the other side of the lake, drive to New Hampshire as it is tax free in Salem or in "Berlin".
[doublepost=1541542406][/doublepost]
When my wife and I were in Paris back in September, I was quite shocked there was not an Apple Store along the Champs-Élysées with all the other high end stores.
forget the Champs Elysées, just go the Saint Germain store, this is a nicer district

Reactions: arkitect

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
The third street store definitely did not need a remodel. Maybe it was just an excuse to replace the shattered glass roof panel.

pete2106

Suspended
Dec 7, 2012
I’m so surprised th
Sorry about your store in Belfast............at least you have one.
I sound like a broken record, however I’ll continue until Apple open a store in Ireland.
Knock knock Apple “OPEN A STORE IN IRELAND”!!! Thanks...

also, the people of Belfast are some of the nicest people I’ve ever met! Super friendly.

I’m so surprised they don’t have a store in Dublin at least. You’d think they would with them banging on about how much they love Ireland.

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Knock knock Apple “OPEN A STORE IN IRELAND”!!!
Belfast is in Ireland. That is not a political opinion, it is geographic fact.

I’m so surprised they don’t have a store in Dublin at least. You’d think they would with them banging on about how much they love Ireland.
Prime retail property is insanely expensive in Dublin. Irish people do, on average, earn and spend more than people in the UK (the average income is about 50% higher) and, with the highest iPhone market share in Europe, they clearly like Apple products, but the likely success of a Dublin Apple store would still not be enough to justify the cost. That will not change anytime soon.

They have a lot more to gain from investing in less developed territories where a high-profile store helps to firm up their foothold as a premium brand and status symbol. The new Bangkok Apple store is a perfect example of that and, as the anchor tenant in a $1.5 billion development, I would guess that they pay no rent and may even have received a substantial contribution towards their build cost, perhaps even all of it - Apple's credibility adds that much value to overblown developments like IconSiam, allowing the developers to sell tiny 40 m2 studio condos, located in towers 70 stories high, for over $300,000, or a 60 m2 1-bed for over $500,000. Expect a lot more of this from Apple.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.