Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced an update for its Clips app for the iPhone and the iPad, which is adding new Selfie Scenes, additional filters, fresh posters, and new stickers, text labels, and soundtracks.

Clips, for those unfamiliar with the concept, is a video editing app designed to allow users to combine several video clips, images, and photos with voice-based titles, music, filters, and graphics to create enhanced videos that can be shared on social media sites.

clipsscenesandfilters.jpg

Clips was released in early 2017 and has since seen several updates to add new features.

Today's update brings a total of six new Selfie Scenes, which are 360-degree backgrounds that work with devices equipped with a TrueDepth camera system. New Selfie Scenes include a rainforest, a mad scientist's lab, and a scene from "Incredibles 2."

There are three new filters, including aged film, a monochrome watercolor painting, and a black-and-white comic book, along with new posters that have themes like science, sports, and silent movies, plus content from "Coco" and "The Incredibles 2." Posters can be used as title cards for videos.

clipsposters.jpg

Apple has also added new stickers and text labels, plus there are 17 new royalty-free soundtracks that can be used in Clips creations.

The newly updated version of Clips is available starting today from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Clips is compatible with the iPhone 5s and later, the iPad Air and later, and the iPad mini 2 and later. Style transfer effects will require the iPhone 7 or 2017 iPad Pro or later, while Selfie Scenes require an iPhone or iPad Pro with TrueDepth Camera.

Article Link: Apple's Clips App Gains New Selfie Scenes, Filters, Stickers and Soundtracks

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I don't get why the scenes aren't baked into the camera app as well. Am I missing something there?

Keep the Camera app simple. No need to overbloat it with features. For the majority of people (read: your mom, your dad your aunt, and all kinds of general users), they just want to take a photo. A ton of goofy effects and Snapchat-style filters are too much.

I like that they keep it out of the Camera app. Keep things to a minimum. That's a good design choice.
[doublepost=1541617894][/doublepost]
What's the target market for this app? and does that target market actually use it? i'm genuinely curious.

People who post on social media. It's a way to spice up their photos.

Apple has analytics built into the app, along with download data. They can clearly see not just how many are downloading it but also who is using it, how often, and how long.

If they see not enough using it to justify the investment, they'll most certainly kill development of it. You do need to keep pushing the new features for a while and not killing something before things have taken off but if they keep pushing new features as they have and don't see an increase and good percentage of users making use of the app, then it's time to stop putting resources into it and invest elsewhere.

We see this with lots of apps. Many get upset and don't understand when a developer stops updating their favorite app. Sadly, unless they're able to attract significant usage and make a good profit from it, they can't keep putting the time, money, and resources into it. You wouldn't do your job for free and they shouldn't have to either.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Does Clips only make square videos or is it just while editing I can only see a square?

chrisduketv

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2007
SoCal
Still square ONLY. I thought Apple was going to add support for portrait mode (9:16) for use with stories... this app is still so useless.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
I use this app and along with a lot of my friends. It's amazing for making short clips or videos. Only downside is I wish it would support standard 16:9 format instead of square. If you really enjoy making videos with cool effects and such then this app is awesome.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
One of my favourite apple apps for business. It gives me the ability to make promotional videos for Instagram (square) with great royalty free audio and easy editing tools that get the job done quickly. Keep the soundtracks coming!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.