Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its 2018 Developer Conference, Samsung today showed off its new foldable display technology, called Infinity Flex.

Samsung is using the Infinity Flex technology for a device that features 7.3-inch flexible display that can be folded in half. While in full screen mode, the device is meant to be used as a tablet, and when folded in half, it functions as a smartphone.

Samsung's Infinity Flex demo begins at about one hour and 22 minutes into the developer conference video​

Samsung says that the Infinity Flex display is the "future of mobile display technology" and the foundation for the "smartphone of tomorrow."
Today is a big milestone and I'm sure you're all wondering what it looks like in real life and how it works. Wonder no more. When it's open, it's a tablet, offering a big screen experience. It's gorgeous. When it's closed, it's a phone that fits neatly inside your pocket.
Samsung says that that to design the Infinity Flex technology, it had to invent new materials and reimagine the display from the ground up. The company developed an advanced composite polymer that's "flexible and tough" to replace the glass that's usually used as a display cover in smartphones.

samsunginfinityflexclosed.jpg

Samsung also developed a flexible, malleable adhesive that's durable enough to withstand hundreds of thousands of folds, and to make the display thinner than ever, Samsung created a new ultra thin polarizer that's 45 percent thinner than the technology used in its current displays.

samsunginfinityflexopen.jpg

A new software platform is being developed in partnership with Google that supports two UIs, one when the device is open and one when it's closed. Features like app continuity will allow for a seamless experience by keeping an app open when swapping displays, and up to three apps can be run at the same time.

It's a phone... It's a tablet... It's a phone that unfolds into a tablet! #SDC18 pic.twitter.com/FgwpJPjqTn - SAMSUNG DEVELOPERS (@samsung_dev) November 7, 2018

According to Samsung, the Infinity Flex technology shown off on stage is part of an upcoming device that had elements of the design obscured. Samsung says that the device is not a concept, and that thanks to breakthroughs in manufacturing, mass production of the foldable smartphone/tablet is set to begin "in the coming months."

In the future, Samsung also plans to introduce new display technology that includes rollable and stretchable displays.

Article Link: Samsung Shows Off Prototype Smartphone With Foldable Display

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
This is innovation that far exceeds the notch. Apple will adopt this in 2022-24 when Samsung minimized all the risks and people embrace the phone/tablet feature/function.

MR forum members will hate on this until Apple introduces something similar 4-6 years from now, and claim innovation :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1541636339][/doublepost]
Buy?

Sorry, I need to un-fold that comment.

But why?

Phone/Tablet combination is rather appealing, couple that with USB-C and this can dock to accessories. One device to rule the business persons carry-on technology. Apple users will be carrying around their iPhone, iPad and/or MB/A/P with them.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
It's time to deliver, that was Samsung's tagline. And what exactly did they deliver? A device that looked like a box which seems to be foldable. Seen that before. I'm not at all impressed, it's more CGI together with some theatrical sounding orchestra playing in the background in this commercial and some people stating that this is all revolutionary.

I'll be impressed when I actually do see a working device of an ultra-lightweight smartphone that's actually foldable and works.

maceric

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2015
I love the idea… they made a point to lower the lights so all we see is the screen and not the ginormously thick body and bezels. I understand they don't want to reveal the design… but why now? Love the idea, and once the tech can get even better… Apple will create something that is designed better.

Last edited:

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
It's time to deliver, that was Samsung's tagline. And what exactly did they deliver? A device that looked like a box which seems to be foldable. Seen that before. I'm not at all impressed, it's more CGI together with some theatrical sounding orchestra playing in the background in this commercial and some people stating that this is all revolutionary.

I'll be impressed when I actually do see a working device of an ultra-lightweight smartphone that's actually foldable and works.

The tag line “time to deliver” is for the release of this foldable device, it has been in the works for years and Samsung does not want to be called out for vapourware announcements since earlier this year. Their came through, now hopefully the gen 1 problems are minimal.

Reactions: novakk86

harrisondavies

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Sniff sniff, is it jealousy I smell. Let’s be honest here, Apple will go to Samsung for this tech in 4-6 years.
Whether or not Apple follow this trend, it’s no different to other manufacturers following its designs. It’s the name of the game now, shamelessly copying each other. This isn’t innovation in its true sense, we’ve had foldable tech for many years. They’ve just perfected newer materials to make it work. The only difference I see, is if Apple did this, they’d improve it 100%, albeit 6 years too late. No, give me a phone that can make pizza or coffee...that’s innovation. Speaking of innovation, Apple still do innovate. Their processors are killing it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.