Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bald person emoji, woozy face, smiling face with three hearts, foot, pleading face, and hot face were among the most engaging and highly-discussed emoji in the iOS 12.1 update, according to research conducted by Emojipedia.

The new hairless emoji, bald man and bald woman, was the most popular character, followed closely by woozy face and smiling face with three hearts.

ios121mostdiscussedemoji.jpg

Emojipedia gathered its data by measuring comments, retweets, and likes on various emoji characters on Twitter.

According to the data, the foot emoji saw a high number of retweets, while the smiling face with three hearts garnered a lot of likes and retweets. Of the new smiley emojis in iOS 12.1, only cold face and partying face didn't rank in the top 10.

emojifacesios121.jpg

Emojipedia says that while measuring emoji by engagement doesn't indicate how popular a given emoji will be in real-world use, Twitter statistics like these provide insight into the emojis that people consider interesting, notable, or controversial in some way.

Meanwhile, the best new upcoming #iOS12.1 emoji is "pleading face"... or as we like to call it "puppy dog eyes" pic.twitter.com/XDHeZ2pvwb - MacRumors.com (@MacRumors) October 9, 2018

Leg commentary, for example, focused on the weird nature of the emoji rather than interest in using it on a regular basis.

The most disturbing new #emoji in the upcoming #iOS12.1 are "leg" and "tooth" pic.twitter.com/jGoqyRmtbY - MacRumors.com (@MacRumors) October 9, 2018

Of food and animal emoji, mango and cupcake were the most discussed food items, while llama and raccoon were the most popular animals. Aside from leg and foot, no other random item emoji made the top 20 list.

ios121emojianimals.jpg

emojifoodios12.jpg

Emojipedia has a full ranking of all 70 new emoji introduced in iOS 12.1, along with data on the individual comments, retweets, and likes received by each emoji.

iOS 12.1 with the new emoji characters was released to the public on Tuesday, October 30. It included dozens of new Unicode 11 emoji characters, with our full list available here.

iOS will gain additional new emoji characters at some point in 2019, when Unicode 12 characters are adopted. Unicode 12 is still in development, but new emoji candidates include service dog, deaf people, mixed race couples, diving mask, waffle, Hindu temple, white heart, ice cube, sloth, flamingo, skunk, ballet shoes, falafel, onion, garlic, otter, and more.

emoji-2019.jpg

Apple in March submitted a series of new accessibility emojis to the Unicode Consortium, which could be included in Unicode 12.

appleemojiproposal.jpg

Unicode 12 is likely to be finalized early in 2019, but Apple may not implement it until the release of iOS 13, if past emoji additions are any indication.

Article Link: Woozy Face, Bald Person, Face With 3 Hearts and Foot Among Most Discussed New Emoji in iOS 12.1

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Their "research" is limited to usage on Twitter, as if that represents the whole of use of emojis or even the standard. Sampling some tweets may tell the behavior of Twitter users (given a large enough sample size) but it hardly can be used for understanding behavior across all users.

Considering that text messages are by far the most common place emojis see use, this study tells you little about the actual favorites.

In addition, the study looks at all tweets, not just those from iOS users. They should really re-write it as their data isn't strictly about iOS but rather anyone (including anyone accessing Twitter on the desktop or via the Twitter app) who has access to these emojis.

Reactions: house13um

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I'd like them to update the Peruvian flag. Where is the coat of arms? If they can put that much detail into the Mexican flag, they can do the same to the Peruvian one. It won't happen though.

Reactions: FairlyKors

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I've never used an emoji or have a twitter account so I apparently have a life, unlike those that waste their time with this drivel.
Pretty ironic posting something like that on a forum where you can like posts, follow users, embed images and video, and even update your status. And it's not like MacRumors even has emoji of their own. ;)

Last edited:

the-bigwig

macrumors member
May 17, 2016
Even now I just can't find right one in this friggin emoji vastness. Just add there next milion more apple pls, it will be easier to navigate then.

Exxhara

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2017
I've never used an emoji or have a twitter account so I apparently have a life, unlike those that waste their time with this drivel.

Wow i use emoji, animoji, and have a twitter account but I also have a life so...

It's fine if you don't like something but don't berate others that do if they enjoy it. You only live once. Live it passionately always!

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
Wow i use emoji, animoji, and have a twitter account but I also have a life so...

It's fine if you don't like something but don't berate others that do if they enjoy it. You only live once. Live it passionately always!

Well said. Although I wish Apple would spend less time on this somewhat useless stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.