Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Stardew Valley for iPhone and iPad received a major update today, introducing several new, improved control options.

There are new options for a virtual joystick or invisible joystick, along with the option to add an action/attack button. A joypad adjuster tool lets you customize your onscreen controls, and there's now support for Made for iPhone Bluetooth controllers.

The auto attack feature has been improved so you're always facing the nearest foe, and it's easier to run from monsters in dangerous situations.

From the toolbar, you can now slide up and down to access everything in your inventory, and there are stability improvements when exploring in the mines.

Today's update also introduces an auto-save feature that lets you continue the game where you left off. The full release notes for the update are below:
New control system options and improvements:
- Virtual joystick, invisible joystick options
- Action / attack button option
- Auto-Attack - targeting improved to always face the nearest foe. Easier to flea from monsters
- Joypad adjuster tool - complete customization of your onscreen controls
- MFi controller support
- Slide toolbar up and down to access whole inventory
- Stability improvements particularly in mines
- Game auto-saves so you can continue where you left off even if you kill the app or the device unloads it*
- Game saves optional backup each time you exit an area
- Other bug fixes

*does not save during festivals/cutscenes. Only 'end of day' saves can be loaded to/from other platforms.
Introduced on October 23, Stardew Valley also lets players fight monsters to earn money, mine ores, fish, get to know townspeople, and engage in social activities in the town. The game cycles through different seasons with various crops and activities to partake in as the game progresses through the years, so there's always something new and exciting to do.

Stardew Valley offers hundreds of hours of gameplay, and there are no in-app purchases to deal with. A farming simulation might not sound appealing, but Stardew Valley sucks players in with crop and farm strategies, min/maxing profit each season, engaging combat, a never-ending list of achievements to earn, and much more.

Stardew Valley can be downloaded from the App Store for $7.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Stardew Valley for iOS Updated With New Control Options, Auto-Save Functionality

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Have they added cloud saves?
Also, is there support for the new iPad aspect ratio?

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
Is there any cloud save for iPhone/iPad? Even better, any way to sync with Nintendo Switch?

vagos

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
If I buy the iPad version do I get the iPhone version for free?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Is this optimized for the new iPad Pro now? I probably shouldn't ask that. I almost bought it the other day. I was mildly addicted to it last autumn on the Switch. I eventually just had to walk away from it and never return. I already had God-like powers to teleport around everywhere and had basically conquered everything. I was just making tons of cash on high level wines using rare fruits. Whole fields of barrels. It was disgusting. I loved it.

I might play it again when they add multiplayer on either Switch or iOS because then my wife and I can finish it in half the time, though we might try a higher difficulty or something.

Reactions: Totemsflare

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Save-on-app-unload was my most wanted feature, but at the same time, it scares the crap out of me. In the ridiculous number of hours I've played since I was first annoyed by the lack of auto-save, I've had quite a few times where I got absolutely and inescapably stuck and needed the ability to kill the app and reset my day else my whole game would have been forever ruined.

RhythmGuru

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
Save-on-app-unload was my most wanted feature, but at the same time, it scares the crap out of me. In the ridiculous number of hours I've played since I was first annoyed by the lack of auto-save, I've had quite a few times where I got absolutely and inescapably stuck and needed the ability to kill the app and reset my day else my whole game would have been forever ruined.
Saved my bacon multiple times as well...
[doublepost=1542152742][/doublepost]Is fishing borked for anyone else? I don’t see the fish icon or my green bar anymore.

R10k

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2017
I was most excited about Mfi controls... but for the most part they seem half baked.

rek89

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2015
I've had quite a few times where I got absolutely and inescapably stuck and needed the ability to kill the app and reset my day else my whole game would have been forever ruined.

Saved my bacon multiple times as well...

I play as well, so I've got to ask... what in the world would these forever game ruining events be? Not saying you're wrong, just not really seeing what they could be based on my experience.

X5-599

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
I'd really like it if the toolbar could lock horizontally like in the desktop version. Don't really like having it warp around the screen each time I enter a new area.

Gabebear

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
This update breaks fishing... The save stuff is great; but I’d advise people to wait a bit before buying this game. If you haven’t played ‘Thimbleweed Park’ yet, go play that and wait for bugs to get ironed out of this.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
I wasted an entire day messing around with the different controls and was bummed that I couldn't' get my day back by quitting the game. If you go into settings and uncheck auto save, it reverted me back to the beginning of the day. I didn't turn it back on, so can't speak for what happens when you do though. I often restart my day if I die in the skull cavern and lose any important items.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I play as well, so I've got to ask... what in the world would these forever game ruining events be? Not saying you're wrong, just not really seeing what they could be based on my experience.
It occurs to me that "forever" might have just meant sitting idle until 2am, passing out, losing stuff, and waking up in bed. I don't normally remember that that is an option.

Anyway, the one that most stands out in my memory is due to the overly large click box of the horse. One morning I went over to pick up a couple truffles the pigs left right in front of the stable. But they were literally adjacent to the stable which meant tapping them didn't pick them up, instead it put me on my horse. Which was still in the stable. The horse can't run over truffles so it couldn't leave the stable, nor could I leave the stable after dismounting because I also can't walk over truffles, and atttemtping to pick either up would just remount the horse. I was inescapably "forever" stuck in the stable.

After resetting the day, the only way I could ever pick up those truffles or access my horse again was to first see Robin and have her move the stable elsewhere on the farm (no longer near the barn!).

SatisfiedVirginian35

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2015

Stardew Valley for iPhone and iPad received a major update today, introducing several new, improved control options.

There are new options for a virtual joystick or invisible joystick, along with the option to add an action/attack button. A joypad adjuster tool lets you customize your onscreen controls, and there's now support for Made for iPhone Bluetooth controllers.

The auto attack feature has been improved so you're always facing the nearest foe, and it's easier to run from monsters in dangerous situations.

From the toolbar, you can now slide up and down to access everything in your inventory, and there are stability improvements when exploring in the mines.

Today's update also introduces an auto-save feature that lets you continue the game where you left off. The full release notes for the update are below:Introduced on October 23, Stardew Valley also lets players fight monsters to earn money, mine ores, fish, get to know townspeople, and engage in social activities in the town. The game cycles through different seasons with various crops and activities to partake in as the game progresses through the years, so there's always something new and exciting to do.

Stardew Valley offers hundreds of hours of gameplay, and there are no in-app purchases to deal with. A farming simulation might not sound appealing, but Stardew Valley sucks players in with crop and farm strategies, min/maxing profit each season, engaging combat, a never-ending list of achievements to earn, and much more.

Stardew Valley can be downloaded from the App Store for $7.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Stardew Valley for iOS Updated With New Control Options, Auto-Save Functionality

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.