Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has hired indie entertainment studio A24 to produce a "slate of films" for the Cupertino company, reports Variety.

Apple said it has signed a multiyear agreement with A24 that will involve multiple films, but further details are unavailable. It is not known if movies made by A24 will be released in theaters or limited to a future digital platform.

a24logo.jpg

A24 is responsible for movies like "Moonlight," "Room," "The Witch," "Ex Machina," "The Spectacular Now," "It Comes at Night," "Lady Bird," "The Disaster Artist," "Hereditary," and more.

A24 has existing deals with DirecTV and Amazon, and those deals will remain in effect even though the entertainment company has now entered into a partnership with Apple. A24 will continue to produce and release movies outside of its partnership with Apple.

Apple's deal with A24 is a sign that the Cupertino company also plans to delve into films as well as television shows. Apple has more than a dozen original high-profile TV shows in the works, but has thus far signed few movie deals.

Apple's original television shows and movies are expected to be included in an upcoming rumored streaming service, which could debut in early 2019.

Apple may be planning to bundle its service with Apple Music and an Apple News subscription service for magazines, and at least some of the content could be made available for free through the TV app.

Article Link: Apple Hires Indie Studio A24 to Produce Films

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Let's be clear AAPL will never try to compete with NFLX. There is absolutely no way in hell they would ever go for a profit not made by the iPhone. This is great news as far as I can tell.

Reactions: bwcmusic

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
A24 is responsible for movies like "Moonlight," "Room," "The Witch," "Ex Machina," "The Spectacular Now," "It Comes at Night," "Lady Bird," "The Disaster Artist," "Hereditary," and more.
Looking forward to this; the bolded are films I genuinely enjoyed.

Attachments

• building.gif
    building.gif
    3 MB · Views: 3,076
Last edited by a moderator:

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
Of course because these movies aren't going to be money makers. One day AAPL will make much larger profits on movies than Macs.

I’m not sure if you meant the first sentence to be sarcasm, so I’m confused.

The problem is not what Apple may one day do, but the fact that they have to pay all the people involved now, which they could do by using their supposed horde of cash, or have their loyal customers pay for it by increasing the prices of their products 20-60% at one time. This is why the prices went up, not because technology that’s been around for some time has suddenly gotten more expensive. Like everyone goes on about how they use recycled aluminum. You know what recycled aluminum is called once it’s melted down? Aluminum we got for nothing.

And the movie industry is not all fun & profit. There are more losers than winners but, yes, if they find themselves with a hit, then they could make more profit than with Mac sales. It’s a completely different model.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
I’m not sure if you meant the first sentence to be sarcasm, so I’m confused.

The problem is not what Apple may one day do, but the fact that they have to pay all the people involved now, which they could do by using their supposed horde of cash, or have their loyal customers pay for it by increasing the prices of their products 20-60% at one time. This is why the prices went up, not because technology that’s been around for some time has suddenly gotten more expensive. Like everyone goes on about how they use recycled aluminum. You know what recycled aluminum is called once it’s melted down? Aluminum we got for nothing.

And the movie industry is not all fun & profit. There are more losers than winners but, yes, if they find themselves with a hit, then they could make more profit than with Mac sales. It’s a completely different model.

No sarcasm at all. I can see the day coming that they make more revenue from films than Macs. Movies have much wider appeal.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Okay, I’ll agree. Macs have never had very wide appeal.

What percentage of people watch movies vs. what percentage of the world owns Macs?
[doublepost=1542320528][/doublepost]I think this could be bigger than some people think. Apple isn't toying around anymore.

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
What percentage of people watch movies vs. what percentage of the world owns Macs?
[doublepost=1542320528][/doublepost]I think this could be bigger than some people think. Apple isn't toying around anymore.

I’m not sure if that’s meant to be a rhetorical question, but it doesn’t matter because your uncanny resemblance to Dr. Phil is freakin’ me out.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Looking forward to this; the bolded are films I genuinely enjoyed.

Only seen Ex Machina and it was not that great, clearly a budget movie with about 4 actors and a not so convincing SF story. Good acting do and it didn't really look budget, so i guess it's ok for Apple.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
I’m not sure if that’s meant to be a rhetorical question, but it doesn’t matter because your uncanny resemblance to Dr. Phil is freakin’ me out.

I will consider the matter closed. lol This thread is about Apple making movies not Macs anyway.

cb3

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
I will consider the matter closed. lol This thread is about Apple making movies not Macs anyway.

And that why its a problem for many of us. Apple doesn't seem to be able to focus on products that MANY of us would like to buy and depend on. A decent upgradable Mac Pro. Maybe Apple should spin off the Mac OS X and Mac business.

I apologize for being off topic. Very frustrated with the current crop of choices and not trying to be snarky. Apple seems to be getting more and more fractured.

Hope they do well in movies.

Please buy Star Trek and reboot properly. I can dream ...

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Of course because these movies aren't going to be money makers. One day AAPL will make much larger profits on movies than Macs.

They could have just bought an ***** movie studio and been done with it.
[doublepost=1542327683][/doublepost]
Phil is researching a new series of Siri shortcuts to accomplish that

Considering his weight, it's clear that he can't innovate his ass.

Reactions: Bacillus

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
They could have just bought an ***** movie studio and been done with it.
[doublepost=1542327683][/doublepost]

Considering his weight, it's clear that he can't innovate his ass.

Why buy the cow if they can get the milk cheap? Apple has been rumored to acquire this studio for awhile. Seems they decided doing it this way was better. I am sure they put more thought into the how's and when's and why's than we have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.