Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Insurance company John Hancock and behavior change platform Vitality today released information on a study by RAND Europe of over 400,000 people in the United States, United Kingdom, and South Africa. The study concluded that those who wore an Apple Watch and participated in the Vitality Active Rewards program averaged a 34 percent sustained increase in physical activity, compared to those without an Apple Watch.

apple-watch-name-your-workout-.jpeg

Specifically focused on U.S. users, the study found significant improvements in levels of physical activity, including an increase in the number of active days by almost 31 percent, and an increase of high-intensity activity days by 52 percent. Participants with high levels of inactivity and body mass index improved more than other groups in the study with physical activity boosted by 200 percent in the U.S. for these individuals.

Additionally, John Hancock Life Insurance customers will now be able to get the Apple Watch Series 4 for as low as $25 through regular exercise. The program mirrors previous incentives that encourage insurance customers to engage in physical activity, reaching goals that earn them points to reduce or eliminate their monthly payments for the Apple Watch over a two-year period.

Customers have to pay a $25 initial fee (plus tax) when signing up for John Hancock Vitality PLUS. Afterwards, when they exercise they will earn Vitality Points that discount the total cost of the device. If they earn 500 Vitality Points per month for two years, no additional charges will be required for the Apple Watch Series 4.
"There is natural alignment between consumer health and longevity, and our goals as a life insurer. This type of shared value is good for everybody," added Brooks Tingle, president and CEO of John Hancock Insurance. "The Apple Watch has been an extremely popular and effective component of our program to date, helping our customers not only live healthier lives through better exercise and mindfulness habits - but also improve their financial wellness through the rewards our program offers, including lower premiums and discounts from some of their favorite national retailers."
Apple Watch Series 4 is Apple's latest wearable device, featuring a new design with a slimmer body, 30 percent larger display, and electrical sensors for taking ECG readings. The ECG feature is not yet live yet, but we now know that it will be enabled on Apple Watch Series 4 in the publicly released version of watchOS 5.1.2.

Article Link: John Hancock's Vitality Apple Watch Program Saw Users Increase High-Intensity Activity Days by 52%

Reactions: keysofanxiety

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
It's a win win for both, consumers who opt in to do this and the insurance that has healthier customers. As someone who laughs at people who are vocal against data mining but collect all kind of miles, bonus points, loyalty rewards and cash backs I would welcome my insurance to offer something like this. As long as it is optional.

steven3130

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2017
That’s a level of intrusiveness I definitely don’t need. I’ll pay for the watch myself.

The data is being pulled directly from the Apple Health app...data you’re already storing locally on your phone or on iCloud. I’m ok sharing my workout data. We already share our data so much already even with things we have no clue about (Facebook, Google Maps, etc). It’s the world we live in now.

Reactions: Wide opeN

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
It's a win win for both, consumers who opt in to do this and the insurance that has healthier customers. As someone who laughs at people who are vocal against data mining but collect all kind of miles, bonus points, loyalty rewards and cash backs I would welcome my insurance to offer something like this. As long as it is optional.

If you have UHC (United Health Care) insurance you should have that option soon, as they also will buy an Apple Watch provided you allow them access to the data.

I have no intention of allowing any insurance access given both today’s lack of oversight on who and how much access insurance companies are given to share data, and the likelihood that pre-existing conditions will once again be permitted to deny health claims.

Reactions: groadyho

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Awesome to see. Seems to justify the investment. May cost them millions but could make up for it many times over in savings from less health issues for their members.

steven3130

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2017
If you have UHC (United Health Care) insurance you should have that option soon, as they also will buy an Apple Watch provided you allow them access to the data.

I have no intention of allowing any insurance access given both today’s lack of oversight on who and how much access insurance companies are given to share data, and the likelihood that pre-existing conditions will once again be permitted to deny health claims.

If I can decrease my premiums with this, I would totally do it. If UHC did cash back or premium decreases like this John Hancock plan (15% cash back if you hit platinum level), I would save $700 on my 2019 health insurance plan.

steven3130

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2017
How do they measure the activity of those without an Apple Watch? A survey? I can’t imagine that would be as accurate as the data from an Apple Watch.

You can use their app to check into a gym or upload an event that you do (i.e. marathon).

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Wow. This is very interesting. The life insurance is slightly cheaper than the plan I have now. Getting a free Apple Watch may just make it worth signing up. Will have to look into this company.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
The data is being pulled directly from the Apple Health app...data you’re already storing locally on your phone or on iCloud. I’m ok sharing my workout data. We already share our data so much already even with things we have no clue about (Facebook, Google Maps, etc). It’s the world we live in now.
I don’t see storing data locally on my phone as comparable to giving it to an insurance company.

Nor do I think that just because we share some data we should throw up our hands and share all data with everyone. For example, I have a Facebook account but basically have no personally identifying data on it (DOB, location, phone number, etc). It’s not all or nothing

groadyho

Suspended
Apr 26, 2018
Colorado
I don’t see storing data locally on my phone as comparable to giving it to an insurance company.

Nor do I think that just because we share some data we should throw up our hands and share all data with everyone. For example, I have a Facebook account but basically have no personally identifying data on it (DOB, location, phone number, etc). It’s not all or nothing
Soon it will be. Big brother's eyes will be everywhere

steven3130

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2017

Storing on your phone is secure to a certain point, and I’m glad Apple took steps to encrypt the data, but it’s essentially only data from the health app that you are sharing with John Hancock. Your daily total steps, active calories burned, mindful minutes, and weight. They are not taking any other information and plus you can set which data points you would share with them.

At the end of the day, it’s a program to get their insured risk pool to be more active and healthy. The healthier someone is, the less chance of death (in this case life insurance). They are mitigating the risk with pushing people to more healthy.

In your case, you are very secure with your data like with Facebook but the majority of people are not. But there are some apps that mine so much more data than you can imagine. For instance, if you use google maps, you know they track you to determine the current traffic conditions. Privacy is not as private as you think.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE

Facebook, or for that matter any company that has reasons to collect data on current or potential customers, does not only have access to the data that they have collected about you. A lot of companies collect and sell information and it all can be linked to you. Some of that data, like city registry are public and probably do contain your name and address. If you’ve ever filled out some contest then your name, age, perhaps things like marital status, number of kids, own or rent a dwelling etc are all for sale, as is your credit history and rating. You don’t own that information and there’s no legal requirement that companies fix erroneous information.

Reactions: steven3130

steven3130

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2017
Wow. This is very interesting. The life insurance is slightly cheaper than the plan I have now. Getting a free Apple Watch may just make it worth signing up. Will have to look into this company.

To me, I think it’s a win-win especially if you already have a healthy lifestyle and you are willing to share limited health data (steps, active calories burned, mediation minutes, and weight).

One thing that I see as a benefit that is not spoken about much is that you can actually get another Apple Watch after the 24 month installment plan is satisfied. I see this as my Apple Watch upgrade program.

I actually enrolled in this plan earlier this month and am still waiting for my watch to arrive. I read through all the fine details.

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
To me, I think it’s a win-win especially if you already have a healthy lifestyle and you are willing to share limited health data (steps, active calories burned, mediation minutes, and weight).

One thing that I see as a benefit that is not spoken about much is that you can actually get another Apple Watch after the 24 month installment plan is satisfied. I see this as my Apple Watch upgrade program.

I actually enrolled in this plan earlier this month and am still waiting for my watch to arrive. I read through all the fine details.

Thanks for the info. I talked to the company and filled out an app, but they couldn’t give me a clear answer on some things (big surprise).

It looks like the free watch is for a Sport 40” (the smaller one). Did you upgrade yours or get the basic. If you upgraded, how did they determine the upgrade price? The guy I talked to said he thought you would pay the full difference between the base model and the one you want up front.

steven3130

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2017
Thanks for the info. I talked to the company and filled out an app, but they couldn’t give me a clear answer on some things (big surprise).

It looks like the free watch is for a Sport 40” (the smaller one). Did you upgrade yours or get the basic. If you upgraded, how did they determine the upgrade price? The guy I talked to said he thought you would pay the full difference between the base model and the one you want up front.

Hey, I apologize for the super late reply. Didn’t see the notification until now.

You are right. The Sport 40mm is the version you get for $25+tax. Essentially, the “upgrade fee” is the difference of $374.

For example, the Sport 40mm is $399, but John Hancock will subsidize $374, that’s why you pay $25 plus tax. The Sport 44mm is $429 minus $374 (JH credit) = $54+tax (your cost). The 44mm stainless steel is $749 minus $374 = $375+tax.

The $374 is the subisidy John Hancock provides upfront so that you have to workout 500 points per month to get the $15.50 credit per month for 24 months. To gain points for workouts, you have to satisfy either step requirements for the day or active calories burned. For me, I have to burn either 500 or 750 active calories, to get 20 or 30 points, respectively.

Reactions: Mobster1983

alextripp

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
Hey, I apologize for the super late reply. Didn’t see the notification until now.

You are right. The Sport 40mm is the version you get for $25+tax. Essentially, the “upgrade fee” is the difference of $374.

For example, the Sport 40mm is $399, but John Hancock will subsidize $374, that’s why you pay $25 plus tax. The Sport 44mm is $429 minus $374 (JH credit) = $54+tax (your cost). The 44mm stainless steel is $749 minus $374 = $375+tax.

The $374 is the subisidy John Hancock provides upfront so that you have to workout 500 points per month to get the $15.50 credit per month for 24 months. To gain points for workouts, you have to satisfy either step requirements for the day or active calories burned. For me, I have to burn either 500 or 750 active calories, to get 20 or 30 points, respectively.

Do you have to satisfy step counts daily or is it like a daily average for the month?

Reactions: steven3130

steven3130

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2017
Do you have to satisfy step counts daily or is it like a daily average for the month?

So let me break it down for you, hopefully it’ll make sense lol.

To get the watch fully paid for the month, you have to earn 500 points total, either with 20 points or 30 points per day through steps OR workouts. The max you can earn per day in points that goes towards the 500 points is 30 points. Let me breakdown the points further:

20 points earned is a “standard” workout. You can achieve this in each of the 3 ways: 1) 10,000 steps; OR 2) burning active calories (based on your age, height, weight and “Vitality age” which is based on a health review survey you do—mine is 500 active calories; OR 3) check into a gym for 30 mins via the JH Vitality App (location-based).

30 points earned is an “advance” workout. You can achieve this in each of the 2 ways: 1) 15,000 steps; OR 2) active calories—mine being 750 active calories.

You cannot earn more than 30 points per day that count towards the 500 points. You either earn 20 or 30 points, that’s it. Those are the only points that counts towards the “free” Apple Watch. If you apply this info, you have to workout 25 “standard” workouts or 17 “advance” workouts per month, so 25 days of workouts or 17 days of workouts, or a combination of both to equate to 500 points.

I got my watch on December 3rd, and so far this month I’ve earned 560 points that count towards the “free” watch through various workouts and some days I didn’t work out, but just walked enough steps or burned enough active calories. You have to be diligent and wear the watch as often as you can.

This is just the points earning portion for the “free” watch.

So far, the entire program has been great! It’s definitely given me the push to go to the gym when I was on the fence about it. I started this program in November. I just paid the 2nd month’s premium but gotten it back in amazon gift cards. I’m already at the Gold level, which I’ve used the hotels.com 20% off discount for one night in Vegas. They give you one year of headspace meditation ($120 value). I’ve gotten back all my money in benefits. And overall, I have life insurance coverage if I die—that peace of mind.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.