Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CarPlay will be a standard feature in the all-new 2019 Mazda3, excluding the base model, according to a company spokesperson. The vehicle is making its worldwide debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show this week and will be rolled out to global markets over the coming months, starting with North America in early 2019.

mazda-carplay.jpg
CarPlay in a Mazda vehicle

The 2019 model will be the first Mazda3 with CarPlay, accessible through the Mazda Connect infotainment system. CarPlay is also preinstalled in the 2018 and newer Mazda6, 2019 Mazda CX-5, and 2019 Mazda CX-9, with a $199 retrofit option available for select 2014 and newer Mazda vehicles in the United States.

CarPlay will also be available as a standard feature in the 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport and 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid, equipped with seven- and eight-inch touchscreens respectively. The new Rogue Sport is available now at Nissan dealerships in the United States, while the new Corolla Hybrid goes on sale in spring 2019.

Toyota and Mazda were among the last major automakers to offer factory-installed CarPlay, but each has expanded its lineup of vehicles integrated with Apple's software, which provides convenient dashboard access to apps such as Phone, Messages, Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, Apple Music, and Spotify.

Toyota now offers CarPlay in the 2019 Avalon, 2019 Corolla Hatchback, 2019 RAV4, 2019 Sienna, and 2019 CH-R in the United States.

Article Link: CarPlay Available in 2019 Mazda3 and Nissan Rogue Sport, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid

chelsel

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
meh ... I updated my 2018 Mazda6 to use CarPlay and was really disappointed in the experience. At least I didn't have to pay for it.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Interesting, a Corolla Hybrid (looking at it, sounds like it has the Prius's engine / guts in it so mileage should be very good).

Has "available remote connect with AppleWatch" whatever that is - looks like you sort of make your watch a key fob for the car maybe - presumably through your phone, but maybe not.

Nice to see Toyota rolling carplay out further (slowly) into their product line.

meh ... I updated my 2018 Mazda6 to use CarPlay and was really disappointed in the experience. At least I didn't have to pay for it.

I haven't played with it before. If you don't mind, what didn't you like about it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ntombi

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
E3900B2D-0C17-4A13-9EE3-EA306BE8E3ED.jpeg
Just got it installed in my 2016 Mazda 6 sport today. For me it will be vast improvement over many aspects of the Mazda Connect interface. I have wanted map navigation that my wife can use while I drive and can not use when driving. Didn’t have mazda navigation. I like Siri working for various things and having an interface (ie iOS) that i am comfortable using.

pbush25

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I love CarPlay in my Honda civic...when it works right and doesn't disconnect every 2 mins....

I got this installed in my 2016 3 last Friday after the update came out and while it was expensive it fixed the two things I liked least about my car: the Mazda Infotainment system itself, and the extremely under-powered USB port that was previously installed in the console. Honestly getting a USB port that actually charges my device vs. simply keeping it powered was worth it for me, and I've been enjoying CarPlay too. Not everyone may agree, but this was good for me.

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I have carplay in my Nissan Leaf and it has a lot to dislike. First off, I was really ticked off to find you have to hard wire your phone to the car via a USB to Lighting cable before carplay will start up - it doesn't work over BlueTooth. WTF. Also, look at all of the front panel displays for carplay systems (including the one in the first post) - they never show Contacts because that capability doesn't exist. I couldn't believe that! I have lots of notes and other useful stuff within my Contacts on my phone/Mac but that whole aspect is missing totally in action in carplay. Anyway, carplay is better than the local GUI for the parts it replaces, but the implementation could be WAY, WAY better!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Not saying I want this at all, but I can imagine Tesla adding it. Put it down in the app tray, then it's just one of the windows you can open, just like energy, backup camera, or the web browser. Or the MAME Atari emulator.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
excluding the base model
This is a shame, especially since many other brands has CarPlay as a standard for their base models.

I updated my 2018 Mazda6 to use CarPlay and was really disappointed in the experience.
I can believe this.
I have used CarPlay since 2015 and it was an underwhelming experience back then. I think it has improved over the years, especially the bugs, but it still isn't an exciting feature to me.

I see a lot of people saying that their next car must have CarPlay, and I guess I feel very different about it. I am happy that my newest car has it, but I won't turn down a car that I like if it doesn't have CarPlay, and I am not going to pay extra for it.

Plus, the bugs still suck on it 3 years later, just not as bad as it once was.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I have carplay in my Nissan Leaf and it has a lot to dislike. First off, I was really ticked off to find you have to hard wire your phone to the car via a USB to Lighting cable before carplay will start up - it doesn't work over BlueTooth. WTF. Also, look at all of the front panel displays for carplay systems (including the one in the first post) - they never show Contacts because that capability doesn't exist. I couldn't believe that! I have lots of notes and other useful stuff within my Contacts on my phone/Mac but that whole aspect is missing totally in action in carplay. Anyway, carplay is better than the local GUI for the parts it replaces, but the implementation could be WAY, WAY better!

Being wired in order to connect is the fault of Nissan. CarPlay could be wireless, and is on some vehicles.

kiwilarry

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2018
Tasman, New Zealand
I thought of using my iPhone 8 mounted securely and with a properly installed power supply and bluetooth speaker also installed. But their is one problem: My iPhone 8 will not go into landscape mode on Home screen. It will go to landscape in every other situation and App. I have tried all the recommended fixes to date. IMG_0459.jpg
Model AA1863. IOS 12.1

mosess

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2018
Atlanta, GA

CarPlay will be a standard feature in the all-new 2019 Mazda3, excluding the base model, according to a company spokesperson. The vehicle is making its worldwide debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show this week and will be rolled out to global markets over the coming months, starting with North America in early 2019.

mazda-carplay.jpg

CarPlay in a Mazda vehicle

The 2019 model will be the first Mazda3 with CarPlay, accessible through the Mazda Connect infotainment system. CarPlay is also preinstalled in the 2018 and newer Mazda6, 2019 Mazda CX-5, and 2019 Mazda CX-9, with a $199 retrofit option available for select 2014 and newer Mazda vehicles in the United States.

CarPlay will also be available as a standard feature in the 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport and 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid, equipped with seven- and eight-inch touchscreens respectively. The new Rogue Sport is available now at Nissan dealerships in the United States, while the new Corolla Hybrid goes on sale in spring 2019.

Toyota and Mazda were among the last major automakers to offer factory-installed CarPlay, but each has expanded its lineup of vehicles integrated with Apple's software, which provides convenient dashboard access to apps such as Phone, Messages, Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, Apple Music, and Spotify.

Toyota now offers CarPlay in the 2019 Avalon, 2019 Corolla Hatchback, 2019 RAV4, 2019 Sienna, and 2019 CH-R in the United States.

Article Link: CarPlay Available in 2019 Mazda3 and Nissan Rogue Sport, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
These fools are too late to the party. I just picked up a 2019 XC90. I was considering a Toyota Highlander but lack of CarPlay pushed me to Volvo. Though I must admit, Volvo’s Pro-Pilot assist also played a roll.
So, suck it Toyota.

Reactions: NIKKG

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I've used Carplay in a few rental vehicles and found it likeable everytime.

There's wireless Carplay. Pioneer and Alpine have wireless Carplay headunits, but they were 3x the cost of the wired unit I ultimately bought for Black Friday and didn't think wireless was worth the extra cost. I'll wait for prices to come down in a few years. I agree having to plug/unplug is a little bit of a hassle but I don't need Carplay for every single trip and could use Bluetooth and Siri Eyes Free.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I thought of using my iPhone 8 mounted securely and with a properly installed power supply and bluetooth speaker also installed. But their is one problem: My iPhone 8 will not go into landscape mode on Home screen. It will go to landscape in every other situation and App. I have tried all the recommended fixes to date. View attachment 807176
Model AA1863. IOS 12.1
This is a joke right?

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
I love CarPlay in my Honda civic...when it works right and doesn't disconnect every 2 mins....
Buy a high quality cable, I had similar issues on Android Auto until I ordered a high quality Anker powerline USB-C cable. These services use alot of bandwidth, so a good cable is very important.

ttate90303

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
California
I happen to like CarPlay - not perfect but serves my needs. I was trying to get a Toyota C-HR but the sales folks only wanted to sell what was on the lot. Long story around that - but wound up getting a Subaru Crosstrek and enjoying the use of CarPlay in it. I have Music, Audible and Maps. I’m set.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I was trying to get a Toyota C-HR

You are probably better off with the Crosstrek. The C-HR looks nice (imo), but it is so freaking heavy. Which is really strange considering it doesn't have AWD, or a big motor.

The Crosstrek has more power, but weighs a few hundred pounds less, gets better MPG and has AWD standard. They have also offered CarPlay as a standard for a couple of years now.

Reactions: ttate90303

ttate90303

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
California
You are probably better off with the Crosstrek. The C-HR looks nice (imo), but it is so freaking heavy. Which is really strange considering it doesn't have AWD, or a big motor.

The Crosstrek has more power, but weighs a few hundred pounds less, gets better MPG and has AWD standard. They have also offered CarPlay as a standard for a couple of years now.

Yeah had my Crosstrek since September and love it. Fits my lifestyle - hiking, biking, camping and beach.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Buy a high quality cable, I had similar issues on Android Auto until I ordered a high quality Anker powerline USB-C cable. These services use alot of bandwidth, so a good cable is very important.

Honda seemed to want people to use the official apple cable... CarPlay was complete trash with iOS 10. Worked like 1 in 7 times and not for long and often crashed the entire crappy car computer which apparently has an ancient android phone for a brain. iOS 11 fixed it for awhile but by the end I was getting disconnects a lot. iOS 12 I get a lot of static and disconnects... can’t win

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Interesting, a Corolla Hybrid (looking at it, sounds like it has the Prius's engine / guts in it so mileage should be very good).

Has "available remote connect with AppleWatch" whatever that is - looks like you sort of make your watch a key fob for the car maybe - presumably through your phone, but maybe not.
Oh, that sounds nice! One fewer thing to have to keep track of.

I’m a Corolla person, currently on my third, so when I’m in the market (in several years), this will be top of the list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.