Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has been ordered to stop using a part of a recent press release that claimed the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 would still be available in Germany through carriers and resellers, reports Bloomberg.

Apple released the statement following a preliminary injunction in December that prevented the company from selling older iPhones in Germany. Apple at the time said that while it would stop selling the devices at its own retail stores, they would remain available via other means.

qualcomm-iphone-7-800x374.jpg

Qualcomm yesterday got another preliminary injunction to stop Apple from using that statement because it was "misleading." The court's ruling, said Qualcomm, also required Apple to stop offering the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 via resellers, too, and the court agreed.
"The press release is misleading because it contains statements that are at least potentially deceptive about the availability of the goods," the judges wrote. "The statement conveys the impression of unlimited availability."
Apple has not been selling iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 models in its retail stores or online in Germany since January and prior to the order about the press release, was also ordered to pull iPhones from partner stores. Some German resellers have continued to sell the devices, however.

Apple's newest iPhones, the XR, XS, and XS Max are not affected by the sales and import ban and continue to be available in the country.

Qualcomm also won a preliminary injunction against the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 in China, but Apple was able to skirt the ruling via a software update that removed patented content.

Article Link: Apple Ordered to Retract Part of Press Release in Ongoing Qualcomm Battle

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Apple has been ordered to stop using a part of a recent press release that claimed the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 would still be available in Germany through carriers and resellers, reports Bloomberg.

Apple released the statement following a preliminary injunction in December that prevented the company from selling older iPhones in Germany. Apple at the time said that while it would stop selling the devices at its own retail stores, they would remain available via other means.

Fair enough, both ways. Apple continues to sell via third party, and should shut up about such availability, props QCOM.

I can still get SE in the USA, but don't see any boast from Apple about such availability!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Makes sense. It seems Apple is trying to fight the PR war. Better to just acknowledge the loss and move on.

Qualcomm had been granted its request for "a recall and destruction of all accused devices from all retailers in Germany."

Reactions: joy.757 and Marekul

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
Well this little stint may cost Apple some but is going to cost Qualcomm a lot more in lost business revenue in the end.

Reactions: Santiago

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Apple's taking Ls like a champ.
You act like this is some big loss. The press release already did its job and the 7 and 8 remain unavailable only at Apple stores in one country.

QCOM still loses in the end. They need Apple a lot more than Apple needs them.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Well this little stint may cost Apple some but is going to cost Qualcomm a lot more in lost business revenue in the end.

Qualcomm isn't going to lose a thing. They have a superior product to that of anything else on the market. Intel does not even come close. Not using Qualcomm chips in their products would hurt mobile phone manufactures more than it would Qualcomm because customers would move to a manufacture that uses the much better modem chips. Customers want quality and they know they can get it with Qualcomm chips.

Doc Evils

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
I have a feeling Apple will end losing the Qualcomm lawsuit and this has happened because of Tim Cooks penny-pinching in which he used to have sway over suppliers. Now that Apple sway is going to weaken significantly, this is going to bite them in the butt hard.

Reactions: Marekul

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Qualcomm had been granted its request for "a recall and destruction of all accused devices from all retailers in Germany."

This statement of "destruction" is only seen in Qualcomm's statement, not in any court documents I've found so far.

As this is a preliminary injunction, seizure of the said iPhones is possible, but not their destruction as the case is still "on"! Destruction of property in dispute vs ban of sale are not the same thing. Yes, Apple is violating the terms by allowing the sale from retailers; the court has to step in here.

Do you know anything about the January 15, 2019 "reversal" verdict from the German court in favor of Apple against Qualcomm - I can't find the specifics. Does this pertain to the December 20, 2018 injunction?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Qualcomm isn't going to lose a thing. They have a superior product to that of anything else on the market. Intel does not even come close. Not using Qualcomm chips in their products would hurt mobile phone manufactures more than it would Qualcomm because customers would move to a manufacture that uses the much better modem chips. Customers want quality and they know they can get it with Qualcomm chips.

No need for a Ferrari when a BMW can get you there as well.
Qualcomm modems might be the better ones but I have no troubles with my Intel modem in my Xs, why don't people see this, there's no need for a 0.01 second faster browser download on an iPhone.

As for your "Qualcomm isn't going to lose a thing." comment, let's wait and see, they already lost Apple as a client, billions lost, they also will lose the licensing "stuff", they play it dirty, it will be downhill from here and on.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Qualcomm modems might be the better ones but I have no troubles with my Intel modem in my Xs, why don't people see this, there's no need for a 0.01 second faster browser download on an iPhone.

As for your "Qualcomm isn't going to lose a thing." comment, let's wait and see, they already lost Apple as a client, billions lost, they also will lose the licensing "stuff", they play it dirty, it will be downhill from here and on.

Then you need to try and convince a huge amount of people then because clearly, by many of the comments from posters in threads relating to the same subject matter, there are many posters who want the Ferrari instead of the BMW and as such are disgusted with Intel's modem offering. They mention just how good Qualcomm's modem is and why they use a product with such a modem in it. Also remember this, when your paying top price for a phone, your expecting 'Ferrari' speed/quality, not 'BMW' one. $500-$600 (BMW), $1000 plus, (Ferrari).

Also, it's a bit of a cheek to refer to Qualcomm as 'they play it dirty' when Apple is extremely well known for doing exactly to same

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I agree that customers want quality. The thing is, aside from geeks that frequent tech forums such as this, how many iPhone buyers do you think even know what a modem is, let alone who manufactures the one in their phone? We're a small minority of iPhone owners here. Most people don't know or care who make the parts in their phone. As long as it has an Apple logo and it does what they want, they are satisfied.

squirrellydw

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2003

This is the dumbest thing I read all day. Most consumers don’t have a clue what’s in the phone. They either want an iPhone on android. Most people are not going to leave the iOS ecosystem because of a modem

Reactions: tridley68

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
$500-$600 (BMW), $1000 plus, (Ferrari).

Also, it's a bit of a cheek to refer to Qualcomm as 'they play it dirty' when Apple is extremely well known for doing exactly to same

Offer the $1000 iPhone for $50 less if it has Intel modem, most people in the know will chose the $50 discount!

As said above, most people won't know about these modem wars - or care.

When the top speed is 50 km/hr, what does it matter if the car is BMW or Ferrari - a Honda will do just as well.

Both companies can and do play dirty - cost of the game they play, the stakes are that high and greed is a factor.

Last edited:

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east

its not really speed i'm worrying about but reception coverage, my friends and online reviews states their coverage dropping when they upgraded to intel modem iphones.

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
This is the dumbest thing I read all day. Most consumers don’t have a clue what’s in the phone. They either want an iPhone on android. Most people are not going to leave the iOS ecosystem because of a modem
most iPhone users (or potential customers) i talk to (i do that daily) think that wireless charging is new and an invention by apple.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
most iPhone users (or potential customers) i talk to (i do that daily) think that wireless charging is new and an invention by apple.
Really? Wireless charging was available on toothbrushes in the 1960s. While I don’t expect millennials to know that people should take their head out of the sand.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
its not really speed i'm worrying about but reception coverage, my friends and online reviews states their coverage dropping when they upgraded to intel modem iphones.

I many times read that the US has mediocre cell coverage, you should put the blame there, here I have no problems at all.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I’m a “Millennial” and I hate it when people act like Apple came along with certain technologies and features first when other manufacturers got there ages ago.
Apple doesn’t act like they invented certain technologies, don’t know where that opinion comes from. They innovate and come up with an interesting twist to an existing technology; eg Touch ID. Fingerprint reader tech has been around for a while but starting from the 5s Apple raised the bar on how useful it can be.

Wireless charging another example. My opinion is that when apple included wireless charging with the iPhone 8, they were thinking about an air power type of device that could charge multiple devices simultaneously and show the battery capacity of each on the iPhone.

Reactions: pianophile

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015

This part is true; Apple sells jenky computers with garbage bin quality GPUs and for some reason they still have people buying their products.
[doublepost=1547931000][/doublepost]
Apple doesn’t act like they invented certain technologies, don’t know where that opinion comes from.

Right there.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This part is true; Apple sells jenky computers with garbage bin quality GPUs and for some reason they still have people buying their products.
[doublepost=1547931000][/doublepost]

Right there.
Yes they invented their version of multi-Touch, just like Apple invented their version of the finger print reader, facial scanner etc.

And maybe jobs should have said reinvented vs invented, but it’s fashionable on MacRumors forums to make a broad general statement based on a single data point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.