Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In recognition of Heart Month, Apple today announced it will offer an Activity Challenge on Apple Watch and heart health events at Apple Stores in San Francisco, Chicago, and New York throughout February.

february-2019-apple-watch-activity-challenge.jpg

Apple Watch users who close their exercise ring in the Activity app for seven days in a row between February 8 and February 14 will earn a special badge and iMessage stickers on Valentine's Day.

The special Today at Apple sessions will include:
  • San Francisco: Apple Union Square on February 11 at 6 p.m. with Dr. Sumbul Desai, Jeanette Jenkins, and Julz Arney
    New York: Apple Williamsburg on February 21 at 4:30 p.m. with Dr. Sumbul Desai, Jeanette Jenkins, and Jay Blahnik
    Chicago: Apple Michigan Avenue on February 27 at 6 p.m. with Dr. Sumbul Desai, Nancy Brown, Jeanette Jenkins, and Craig Bolton
"Apple Watch users have told us since the beginning it has motivated them with everything from Activity Sharing to Challenges to all of the different workouts available all right from the wrist," said Jay Blahnik, Apple's senior director of fitness for health technologies.

Article Link: Apple Promotes Heart Health With Activity Challenge and Apple Store Events Throughout February

Last edited:
Reactions: jjm3

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Close my rings 15 times in 28 days. Yeah right, why don’t I just quit my job and stop paying my mortgage.

Reactions: tigres

garoto

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2010
I hope you people are joking. It’s not hard to close your rings. Make changes and stay consistent. Soon things will become habit and easier.

You probably think that planet earth is only the United States and only young, single, healthy people.

My Dad is 72 years old, has exercised all his life but age does kick in. So closing the rings, especially with a reasonable goal, a busy schedule, and a big family, becomes not so easy. So he challenges himself to do it, sweats more than you and works hard for it, and enjoys closing his rings. So do I, sometimes I fail and other times I don’t.

It’s time to change your move goal from 200 calories dude
[doublepost=1549030838][/doublepost]
just lower the circle requirements.

Way to miss the point man.

Reactions: jpn

jjhny

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Just buy some weights, or go running... work out like a normal human being. The watch nonsense seems like some bizarre marketing scheme, at best.

Reactions: WatchFromAfar

Jason Hensley

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2018
A simple walk at a half-decent face counts as a workout, Apple isn't forcing you to go all-out 7-days a week.

Thanks for the added motivation Apple! Closing my rings has changed my life for the better, and I am very appreciative for these extra motivators throughout the year. Keep it up!

Jono&&

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2018
LA
I followed what my apple watch told me to do last year. Then this happened! Anybody that tells you the watch is BS is trying to steal your woman! Or your man! Apple is using the same psychological tricks to get you to work out that COD uses to keep you stuck to the couch or the overstressed gaming chair! The watch is geniuses. Do you know how I can tell? Tim Cook is wearing one!
IMG_0575.jpg

Last edited:

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I set my daily goals so that if I do any reasonable amount of organized exercise - including simply going for a walk - it's almost impossible to not hit my targets (700 calories / 30 minutes); on most days, I shatter them. But if I don't have any organized exercise, I have to really work at staying active in small doses throughout the day to meet those targets. That's a great sweet spot.

On work days (Mon-Fri), I hit the gym every morning and do at least 20 minutes of cardio. I try to do weights (25 minutes or so) 4 times a week, time permitting. Weekends I get my exercise by going on 2-3 mile outdoor walks. I don't need "rest days" with that kind of workout schedule.

30 minutes of exercise a day is pretty easy, 7 days a week, Doesn't have to be a full workout, just go for a walk or something. If conditions mean you can't go outside, pace around the house/apartment for 10 minutes at a time, three times over the course of the day.

Last edited:

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Just buy some weights, or go running... work out like a normal human being. The watch nonsense seems like some bizarre marketing scheme, at best.

If you're self-motivated in this general direction, then yes, you're basically right. However, there are lots of others who need some sort of motivation/encouragement, etc. Compare the cost of a Watch to the cost of a personal trainer, a gym membership, a set of weights, running shoes and sportswear... There is a fair number of people who need to make a financial commitment before they do something that's ultimately good for them. One need not purchase any of those things to get some exercise, yet it's a huge business anyway.

In a more low-cost vein, there are lots of friends who meet regularly for a walk around the neighborhood... We are social animals; even a disembodied buzz on the wrist and a scripted reminder text can be enough to provide the outside engagement needed to get us moving in the right direction.

A lot of people need a bit of reward to keep doing something, and while the endorphin rush from a bit of exercise should be enough, it shouldn't be a surprise that kids like getting little gold stars on their school work, and everyone likes getting a word of praise from a family member/friend/employer, etc. The Watch may be a little, disembodied bit of tech, but the virtual badges it hands out provide people with something to boast of... they help scratch our need for approval from those around us.

At one level this is nothing more than a task-specific calendar that's able to confirm that the appointment has been met. How many people get through life without an engagement calendar? Or will you tell us that our memories should be sharp enough to remember all we need to do?

The entire world is a bizarre marketing scheme. This particular one happens to get a fair number of people off their butts and doing something beneficial to their health. Considering the lifespan of a bit of personal electronics (2-3 years), the cost per day of a Watch beats that of a Starbuck's coffee by a wide margin and will hopefully do a fair bit more good. When you consider that the Watch has many more uses than the Activity app, throughout the day, and the beneficial(?) effects of a cup of coffee (or carbonated beverage) lasts less than an hour, the cost-per-day of this particular feature goes even lower.

So sure, if you're so self-motivated that you can do without reminders, and so self-assured that you need nobody else's approval, then skip the Watch, and feel justifiably superior to those who need a $400 crutch. Whatever makes you tick.

Last edited:
Reactions: cote32mt

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
You probably think that planet earth is only the United States and only young, single, healthy people.

My Dad is 72 years old, has exercised all his life but age does kick in. So closing the rings, especially with a reasonable goal, a busy schedule, and a big family, becomes not so easy. So he challenges himself to do it, sweats more than you and works hard for it, and enjoys closing his rings. So do I, sometimes I fail and other times I don’t.

It’s time to change your move goal from 200 calories dude
[doublepost=1549030838][/doublepost]

Way to miss the point man.

You are a bitter man...I doubt he sweats more than me and I doubt you workout as hard as me...so pipe down little man.

Reactions: Saipher and gugy

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
That's an easy badge to get.
Yes, I hear a lot of people dismissing the badge concept but for some, including me that's a motivational thing that keeps me trying to get as many as I can.
In the end if that keeps you moving and getting healthy, that's all positive.
[doublepost=1549046297][/doublepost]
Normal human beings don't work out seven days a week.
It's all about habit. Honestly anyone can do it if they set their minds to accomplish that.
I swim almost everyday and the days I can't do it or the pool is closed, I'll go for a walk, bike, etc. The idea is to keep moving and that will make you feel way better.
I believe, I am pretty normal BTW.

deebinem

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Of course this happens right after I leave New York and won't be back until March... How about these for other places too, Apple?

On a side note, I'm still miffed at my Thanksgiving Challenge badge from 2017 disappearing after switching phones... I GAVE UP MORNING EGG NOG FOR THAT, TIM!! :mad:

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
The entire world is a bizarre marketing scheme. This particular one happens to get a fair number of people off their butts and doing something beneficial to their health. Considering the lifespan of a bit of personal electronics (2-3 years), the cost per day of a Watch beats that of a Starbuck's coffee by a wide margin and will hopefully do a fair bit more good. When you consider that the Watch has many more uses than the Activity app, throughout the day, and the beneficial(?) effects of a cup of coffee (or carbonated beverage) lasts less than an hour, the cost-per-day of this particular feature goes even lower.

I have to say the AW pushed me to be a better swimmer due all the tracking and data it provides. The cost is not bad at all. I am not in love with the design and miss my Omega Seamaster that now, I only use on social occasions but I have to say the AW has a very positive effect. Good job Apple.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
No thanks. I don't want my activity tracked and prefer to keep my health data private.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
make medicate, medicare and insurance companies buy the dram apple watch for you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.