Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

IPSW-250x250.png
Following the release of iOS 12.1.3 on January 22, Apple has stopped signing iOS 12.1.1 and iOS 12.1.2 the previous versions of iOS that were available to consumers.

iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch owners who have upgraded to iOS 12.1.3 will no longer be able to downgrade to iOS 12.1.1 or iOS 12.1.2.

iOS 12.1.3, available for all iOS devices able to run iOS 12, was a minor bug fix update that addressed issues with the HomePod, iPad Pro, CarPlay, Messages, and more.

Apple routinely stops signing older versions of software updates after new releases come out in order to encourage customers to keep their operating systems up to date.

iOS 12.1.3 is now the only version of iOS that can be installed on iPhones and iPads, but developers and public beta testers can download iOS 12.2, a major update that's currently being beta tested.

Apple will also soon release iOS 12.1.4 to fix a major FaceTime privacy bug.

Article Link: Apple Stops Signing iOS 12.1.1 and 12.1.2 Following Release of iOS 12.1.3

nicroma

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Midwest, USA
The exploit was released for these firmware versions recently. Apple was on the ball to stop signing them. For the first time ever I didn’t take the time to downgrade my iPhone to a firmware that has been exploited before the signing window closed, but jailbreaking is becoming less of a priority to me. Apple has added so many features over the years that only jailbreaking could provide at the time.

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
There needs to be a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT about this practice.

My iPhone 5s would run twice as fast on IOS 10 and all my 32 bit games would work fine, but Apple FORCED IOS 11-12+ on me without my express permission in a battery repair. I lost at least 20+ games & apps that have no updates.

THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!

Reactions: itsmilo

ImAnAgent

Suspended
Oct 11, 2018
My mind
I've read that there is a version of iTunes being tested now that would prevent anyone from downgrading iOS devices even if the previous iOS version is still been signed. The article mentioned that this could be a bug and might eventually be fixed but this sounds like something Apple would certainly do.

Reactions: redbeard331

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018

My iPhone 5s would run twice as fast on IOS 10 and all my 32 bit games would work fine, but Apple FORCED IOS 11-12+ on me without my express permission in a battery repair. I lost at least 20+ games & apps that have no updates.

THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!
Bold, all caps should be illegal.

You could have asked the Apple Store to not update your phone, I've done that before when mission critical apps haven't been optimised yet. It's not like Apple didn't give users/developers warning before depreciating 32 bit support. If you "lost" 20 apps because they hadn't been updated since 2013, it's not Apple's fault.

Reactions: iModFrenzy

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Define "signing."

The article clearly states how Apple interprets ‘Signing’:

Apple routinely stops signing older versions of software updates after new releases come out in order to encourage customers to keep their operating systems up to date.”

Last edited:

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI

THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!
Forget a class action. You’d get pennies.

Just sue them yourself.

Don’t know how? Look it up.

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
Bold, all caps should be illegal.

You could have asked the Apple Store to not update your phone, I've done that before when mission critical apps haven't been optimised yet. It's not like Apple didn't give users/developers warning before depreciating 32 bit support. If you "lost" 20 apps because they hadn't been updated since 2013, it's not Apple's fault.

Nope, not possible. Since Apple decided to replace the phone with a refurbished iPhone 5s where none of my 32 bit apps work. I should have cause to sue them for not telling me what they were planning to do at the very least since they just screwed the phone up as a result.

Also, I'm 100 miles from an Apple store so no ability to go to an Apple store either.

Also I wasn't looking for any money. Class actions suits only give the lawyers money, but sometimes they do change the policy, which is even more valuable. My iPhone 5s would be more valuable with IOS 10 on it. Plain and simple. They devalued it in the process.

Finally, bold, and ALL CAPS are very important methods of expressing outrage in a non-personal situation. If I were telling someone this story in person, they would know my anger directly from my voice inflection and tone. Not possible here.

Last edited:

sirghost

Cancelled
Jun 22, 2014
Nope, not possible. Since Apple decided to replace the phone with a refurbished iPhone 5s where none of my 32 bit apps work. I should have cause to sue them for not telling me what they were planning to do at the very least since they just screwed the phone up as a result.

Also, I'm 100 miles from an Apple store so no ability to go to an Apple store either.

Also I wasn't looking for any money. Class actions suits only give the lawyers money, but sometimes they do change the policy, which is even more valuable. My iPhone 5s would be more valuable with IOS 10 on it. Plain and simple. They devalued it in the process.

Finally, bold, and ALL CAPS are very important methods of expressing outrage in a non-personal situation. If I were telling someone this story in person, they would know my anger directly from my voice inflection and tone. Not possible here.

So, simply go to this link and follow the instructions on how to sue apple then.

https://www.wikihow.com/Sue-a-Company

31 Flavas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2011

THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!
Get a lawyer - start the ball rolling. Surely others are just as much or more aggrieved then you. Of course, it would probably just be less expensive to buy a new in box 5S presumably running iOS 7, some else's old 5S with iOS 10 or maybe an iPod Touch running iOS 10.

But don't let me stop you. If it has to be your individual phone with that new battery of yours, go right ahead.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.