Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of its efforts to rebuild Apple Maps "from the ground up," Apple has been collecting street-level data with LiDAR-equipped vehicles for over three years. Apple also deployed employees wearing LiDAR-equipped backpacks to collect pedestrian-based data starting in California late last year.

apple-maps-image-collection-800x786.jpg

As these efforts expand around the world, Apple recently transitioned to a revamped Apple Maps image collection website with a list of locations it will be surveying both in vehicles and on foot in the upcoming months.

The page reveals a few new pieces of information, including that pedestrian-based data collection has expanded to Hawaii and Nevada through February. Vehicle-based data collection will also be expanding to the tiny European country of Andorra, landlocked between France and Spain, in April 2019.

The new page, which replaces the previous Apple Maps vehicles list, also indicates that Apple will "periodically revisit some locations to gather new data in an effort to maintain a high-quality, up-to-date map."

Apple Maps vehicles have been collecting mapping data in the United States since 2015, with over 45 states at least partially surveyed to date. The vehicles have also surveyed parts of Croatia, France, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom, according to Apple.

Back in June 2018, Apple said the revamped mapping data would roll out section by section across the rest of the United States over the following year. The improvements first rolled out in Northern California in iOS 12 and have extended to Hawaii and Southern California over the past few months.

ios12newmapssf-800x646.jpg

The overall look and feel of Apple Maps is mostly the same, but zooming and panning reveals more details like grass, trees, sports fields, and parking lots. Apple also said search results would become more relevant.

Article Link: Apple Maps Launches Revamped Data Collection Website

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I know we don't have street view but I waved at the Apple Maps van that passed my house this summer.

Edit: Looking at the page. They have links near the top for vehicle and pedestrian. Then just below in the opposite order are pedestrian locations followed by vehicle locations. Why not use the same order?

Reactions: Cameroncafe10a

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
I like the new layout shown in the article - although I hope they do more than those few states (CA, HI and NV) for all of 2019.

Interestingly, I'm not seeing the new page layout as depicted at the top of the article, although it has the new name - still the old layout from the former vehicle page even with a refresh.

Reactions: Cameroncafe10a

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
As a map geek i love this.
Me too. This was a fascinating dive into Apple Maps and Google Maps -- and specifically the latest detail updates to Apple Maps.

https://www.justinobeirne.com/new-apple-maps

Definitely confirms what I've generally experienced: Apple Maps is getting quite good for wayfinding, but lags Google in place and business labelling.

Looks like this guy posts about once a year on the topic of digital app-based maps -- wish it was more!

Last edited:

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
I earnestly tried Apple Maps a couple years ago and it often would ignore portions of main roads thereby sending me on circular back-country journeys. Every time I used Apple Maps something strange would happen. I gave up and went back to using Google Maps.

Navigation accuracy is more important than streetscapes.

Reactions: ELman

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I earnestly tried Apple Maps a couple years ago and it often would ignore portions of main roads thereby sending me on circular back-country journeys. Every time I used Apple Maps something strange would happen. I gave up and went back to using Google Maps.

Navigation accuracy is more important than streetscapes.

A lot has changed in a couple of years...

dialogos

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
A lot has changed in a couple of years...

Very few things changed. Especially for frequent travellers "Apple maps" is a disaster. Try to fly to various countries all over the world and give them a try :)

I believe things have improved mostly in the US but that's about it.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Very few things changed. Especially for frequent travellers "Apple maps" is a disaster. Try to fly to various countries all over the world and give them a try :)

I thought you said you were a frequent traveller...

Apple Maps is incredibly accurate here in Toronto. I also noticed that it improved significantly in Montreal, Lisbon, Barcelona, and Rome. In addition, I used it to navigate in Tuscany, the Amalfi Coast, Venice, Bilbao, Porto, and around Turks & Caicos and it always got me to where I wanted to go, without issue.

Apple Maps might’ve had a rocky start but over the last couple of years, it’s made vast improvements.

Reactions: one more

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky

Apple Maps is incredibly accurate here in Toronto. I also noticed that it improved significantly in Montreal, Lisbon, Barcelona, and Rome. In addition, I used it to navigate in Tuscany, the Amalfi Coast, Venice, Bilbao, Porto, and around Turks & Caicos and it always got me to where I wanted to go, without issue.

Apple Maps might’ve had a rocky start but over the last couple of years, it’s made vast improvements.

Thank you for commenting...I don’t even bother anymore.

Of course it is better in the US...is that really a surprise? But it has definitely improved around the world. And will only get better...quickly...since the tech Apple is using is above and beyond other mapping processes.

Last edited:

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
I used to be fine with Apple Maps (even after launch) it took me where I needed to go. But lately in the last year (specifically with an 8+ then a Max) it has been AWFUL. Sending me down roads that are adjacent to the one I really need to go down, taking me towards freeway entrances I DONT want to be in, this has happened -multiple- times, each time when I finally decided to use waze it took me without failure and frustration to my destination. I don’t really trust Apple Maps anymore.

Screw seeing your destination on the complete other side of the LA freeway when Apple maps is telling you it’s on your right in 200 feet.

dialogos

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017

Yes I do travel quite often. No respect but I have a totally different experience compared to yours. Especially in Italy and Spain where I was last month. First of all Apple maps will not recommend the fastest route in lot of places in Europe. They're simply not as accurate and updated. Especially in small villages you may end up going to a dead end road. Simple as that.

If you think Apple maps are on par with Google I have nothing to add here.

PS. I'm surprised you mentioned the accuracy of Apple maps especially in Venice!!! Lot of places are missing
[doublepost=1549478162][/doublepost]
Thank you for commenting...I don’t even bother anymore.

Of course it is better in the US...is that really a surprise? But it has definitely improved around the world. And will only get better...quickly...since the tech Apple is using is above and beyond other mapping processes.

My opinion is you should listen to the voice of people who actually live in Europe when we express our experience about what's going on here.

Maybe it's not what you'd like to hear but there's a reason that here in Europe people prefer Google maps.

Let me give you one example of a problem I have to face often with Apple maps. Unless I deactivate routes with Tolls it will only give me a specific route option when there are 2 or 3 alternatives that are 1-2 minutes slower. It doesn't even give me the option to select my preferred route in some places.

There are so many issues especially in not big cities. Like dead ends, missing roads, missing places. Issues that Google maps don't have at this point.

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Yes I do travel quite often. No respect but I have a totally different experience compared to yours. Especially in Italy and Spain where I was last month. First of all Apple maps will not recommend the fastest route in lot of places in Europe. They're simply not as accurate and updated. Especially in small villages you may end up going to a dead end road. Simple as that.

If you think Apple maps are on par with Google I have nothing to add here.

PS. I'm surprised you mentioned the accuracy of Apple maps especially in Venice!!! Lot of places are missing
[doublepost=1549478162][/doublepost]

My opinion is you should listen to the voice of people who actually live in Europe when we express our experience about what's going on here.

Maybe it's not what you'd like to hear but there's a reason that here in Europe people prefer Google maps.

Let me give you one example of a problem I have to face often with Apple maps. Unless I deactivate routes with Tolls it will only give me a specific route option when there are 2 or 3 alternatives that are 1-2 minutes slower. It doesn't even give me the option to select my preferred route in some places.

There are so many issues especially in not big cities. Like dead ends, missing roads, missing places. Issues that Google maps don't have at this point.

It's a good thing Apple products, including CarPlay, have Google Maps readily available on it then...right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.