Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A red variant of the iPhone XS and XS Max could be launching in China sooner rather than later, if a social media rumor proves to be accurate.

productrediphone-800x580.jpg

A Weibo post spotted by iPhoneHacks.com claims Apple will launch the red color models by the end of this month, in a bid to boost struggling iPhone sales in the region.

The leaker, who claims to have received the tip from sources in Apple's supply chain, says that Apple will call the model "China Red," and not the PRODUCT(RED) branding that the company typically associates with the color.

Apple globally launched a mid-cycle (PRODUCT)RED edition iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus in March 2017 and a similar edition for the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus in April 2018, so the timing wouldn't be completely off. Apple already sells a (PRODUCT)RED variant of the iPhone XR.

There's also precedent for Apple using a different name in China - the company dropped the PRODUCT(RED) branding in the country for both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 models, instead promoting them simply as additional colorways.

Apple has partnered with the (RED) Global Fund for nearly 13 years to sell a variety of red-colored devices and accessories. For each product sold, Apple makes an unspecified contribution to HIV/AIDS charity. However sex remains a controversial issue in China, where AIDS and HIV have been characterized in the past as a consequence of contact with the West.

Despite the lack of any PRODUCT(RED) mention in China, Apple CEO Tim Cook assured MacRumors in a March 2017 email that the company upholds its charitable Global Fund donations commitment for every special edition red iPhone sold in every country in the world, with or without said branding.

If there's any weight to today's rumor of a red iPhone XS and XS coming to China, it could potentially signal the early launch of PRODUCT(RED) versions for the rest of the world, although nothing is certain. Rumors last year of a mid-cycle PRODUCT(RED) edition of the iPhone X never transpired, for example.

It's also worth noting that several Chinese mobile makers will be launching their 2019 flagship phones over the next couple of months, so Apple may be using new red iPhone models as a counterweight to new rival devices on the market.

Article Link: Red iPhone XS and XS Max Rumored to Launch in China This Month, Again Dropping PRODUCT(RED) Branding

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Past the mid-cycle, you're just months away from a new gen or version.

But, there is like almost 7 months left before the next iPhone launches. I don’t think it’s really past cycle for anyone that wants to upgrade, it’s not like we are just a ‘few months away’, it’s more like almost seven months away. Now, if it was maybe two months before the iPhone keynote, then maybe I would suggest waiting.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Why doesn't the AIDS marketing work in China like it does in the West?

Edit: nevermind, it says in the article.

Reactions: ZacD

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
A red XS max would be nice but I already have gold. I wonder if Apple will add more colours next year or those are just reserved for the XR.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
You do realize that the color red in China is a very popular color, right? It symbolizes ‘Good luck and Fortune’, so even if this rumor was true, I think a Product red iPhone would do very well in China regardless of the Chinese New year or not.
If that's the case, there should have been a red iPhone from the beginning. It all starts with understanding the market where you want to sell for.

That's the problem with Apple these days. They don't even know where they have to compete with in certain markets or what the demand for is.

That's probably the reason for the big fail in India too. Selling an old SE while you already can get a full spec phone with big OLED screen for half the price of an SE.

Apple is so out of touch in so many markets :mad:

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
A red XS max would be nice but I already have gold. I wonder if Apple will add more colours next year or those are just reserved for the XR.
I've heard rumors of a rainbow gloss iPhone. Same form factor as the year before and the year before that. Only $ 99,99 more expensive for the special rainbow gloss you'll only be able to see from Apple.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Should’ve done this during Chinese New Year then.
Slapping a new colour on a phone with recurrent modem and wifi issues that can’t be fixed by software is like spraying perfume on a turd
Because the lower iPhones sales are so caused by modem and WiFi issues. [/sarcasm]

Reactions: SwiftcastFlare

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Product RED is not a fashion or national statement, it's an ongoing contribution for the fight against HIV.

For the sake of RED, it better be both. Their strategy has been questionable, and while they have brought in money they have never been 100% transparent. Donating directly is always the best option. I suspect most people buy a red iPhone because it’s red and not because it’s RED(tm).

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
This would be the only year id consider this red phone. Ive always upgraded launch day phones but they have gotten so good that I dont think I would miss what's coming this year. Next year is what I'm waiting for.
Im curious how they are doing the stainless steel color with this. I dont want no faded pink band make it bold like the back.

Reactions: SwiftcastFlare
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.