Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently added a new features page to its website, which offers an in-depth look at the capabilities of Apple's modern iPhones.

The site is organized into tiles, each featuring an explanation of a feature along with a short video, a photo, and a link to one of Apple's support documents.

iphonefeaturespage1-800x531.jpg

Topics covered include water resistance, privacy, AirDrop, Group FaceTime, photos search, Memoji, Do Not Disturb, Find My iPhone, Apple Pay, iMessage photo effects, and more.

iphonefeaturespage2-800x400.jpg

Apple includes both major features like Face ID, along with smaller hints and tips like holding the space bar to move the cursor to quickly fix a typo or double tapping the space bar while typing for a period.

iphonefeaturespage3-800x802.jpg

It's a useful site for anyone who isn't super familiar with the feature set on the iPhone, and it's also useful for more advanced users because it also has lesser known options that some people might not know about.

iphonefeaturespage4-800x401.jpg

Apple has a whole range of support documents on every topic you might think of, but doesn't often link to them on its main site, which makes the features page unique. Apple is highlighting the new features page on its main Apple.com homepage.

Update: Apple has shared several of the videos featured on its "iPhone Can Do What?" on YouTube. Each video is about 15 seconds in length and highlights a specific iPhone feature.

Article Link: Apple Shares New 'iPhone Can Do What?' Features Page [Updated]

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
Shake to undo stopped working for me a while ago. I just figured it was removed in a software update. Now I know that there's something wrong here.

mcbumbersnazzle

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2018
Press and hold the space bar instead of 3d touch, in fact, there's no mention of 3d touch at all while the Xr is the only iphone that doesn't have 3d touch. 3d touch is confirmed gone from the next iPhones boys :(

Reactions: Tofupunch

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Irrelevant, gimmicky or plain wrong.

I use iPhone 8 so meh-moji my __ (take it away, Phil)

Time and again I've tried searching for photos using location AND date and it never shows results (even though up until iOS 11 it was possible). Not to mention that the information density on the Photos app is nonsensically sparse.

Facetime 31 friends.. sure, and eavesdrop on them too!

Shake to undo doesn't work.

If that's all the iPhone can do, they just showed a lot of people the way to Android.

Tivoli_

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
Apple: While at it,
1- Could you tell us how to add titles to photos on an iPhone?
2- How to make HomeKit play my music by scene activation/automation (no I do not want shortcuts and Siri to do it)?

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Apple is seriously—in 2019—advertising shake to undo as one of the top iPhone features? It's one of the least intuitive features and an example of bad UX design.

It's not like they've worked on a ton of exciting iOS features in the last few years, other than iMessage effects, stickers and ani-me-mojis.

Also, waterproofing? It's not worthy advertising something every manufacturer already has.

In order to advertise something you kinda have to make it happen first. I wish they took the ecosystem angle. Airdrop, universal pasting, Watch seamlessness, these are truly impressive features with the added upsell potential

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
iPhone text selection is awful. So many times I'm trying to grab a snippet and it skips to the top and selects one character, or gets stuck only letting me select one line, or it snaps to the whole paragraph and won't let me select text inside of it. Sometimes it doesn't work at all, and other times it doesn't let you grab punctuation or it takes several attempts. The keyboard touchpad for text selection was a nice addition, but they really need to overhaul however the text selection engine works because it sucks. It was fine many years ago but it's 2019 and it should be better by now.

I would also say that finding any photo is quite the stretch. It works for me maybe half the time and I have to do a lot of skimming and swiping around before I find what I'm looking for.

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Press and hold the space bar instead of 3d touch, in fact, there's no mention of 3d touch at all while the Xr is the only iphone that doesn't have 3d touch. 3d touch is confirmed gone from the next iPhones boys :(
That was my thought exactly. :oops:

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
I could have died yesterday without knowing you can delete typo with shake... and I thought I knew everything about iPhone.

Toxic people, can you just move along and omit this thread? Please?

No?

*sigh*, OK... :(

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Apple is seriously—in 2019—advertising shake to undo as one of the top iPhone features? It's one of the least intuitive features and an example of bad UX design. Every time I have to do it in bed it wakes up my wife.

“I was trying to undo something on my phone”.

Man that’s a great excuse. Wish I thought of that earlier.

Reactions: femike

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I wish they'd implement undo/redo buttons somewhere in the keyboard. I find shake to undo pretty annoying to use. And very slow if you need to undo several times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.