Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For the last few weeks, Apple has been updating the artwork on playlists within Apple Music, and today, The Verge has shed some light on the reason why with input from Apple's global director of editorial, Rachel Newman.

Apple is using original artwork from well-known artists like the creator of the AC/DC logo for playlists in an effort to bring instant recognition to its content and to better connect with different communities.

applemusicplaylistart-800x800.jpg
New art for the Hip Hop Hits playlist, designed by the artist who created Migos' Culture album cover

According to Newman, the custom art for playlists is meant to be a "visual representation of the music that you will find inside the playlist."
That rootedness in specific cultures was something that Apple wanted to emphasize when it was commissioning art. "Suddenly there is really no strong definition of a genre anymore like there used to [be], you know, in the olden days," said Newman, the editorial director. Genre is now, in her words, a melting pot.
For each genre, Apple is choosing "huge name" artists that fit well and have worked within the genre before. Stole "Moab" Stojmenov, who designed the cover for Migos' album "Culture," created the art for Apple's "Hip Hop Hits" playlist, for example.

Carlos Perez, who directed the video for hit song "Despacito," created artwork for several playlists, including "Dale Reggaetón." Perez said that with Apple's freedom, he aimed for authenticity when creating the artwork, which seems to be Apple's goal with the project.

Apple plans to redesign "many thousands" of Apple Music playlists, with new artwork rolling out over the course of the next few months.

Article Link: Apple Adding Original Art From Iconic Artists to Thousands of Apple Music Playlists

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
These may be "creative" in a bourgeois-coffee-house sense of the word, but not really very helpful for visually identifying a genre... because nothing says "Hip Hop Hits" like a chrome scorpion and a flower? Stick a boombox on it and call it a day!

Last edited:

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Was wondering what was behind the sudden shift from generic art to much more iconic art for the playlists. A welcome change for sure!

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
It's worth noting they are specifically using well known artists in this case, in contrast to the Shot on iPhone contest. They know the difference and understand the marketing impact of each. It was never a matter of trying to rip off professional photographers, it was about the message-- appeal to everyman, versus bringing in the star power.

Maybe we should start a Twirade about how Apple is trying to hold back up and coming artists with this move. They should have a contest! I'm sure there are some unknown artists who are just as good as the scorpion-flower guy!

Reactions: orbital~debris

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Great now if I can figure out why my AP won't play over cellular that would be great! And yes cellular data access in the settings is on.

allapple

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
Maine
wonder if the artists are getting paid? If so, please just stop it all and just lower you prices!! This new move is un-needed and stupid! Fix Itunes!!!

Reactions: TrentS

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Wait, they're paying for art? The shareholders arent going to like this. Artists are supposed to work for free, and starve under bridges, and die in their twenties. Because art school is fluff, and art has no real value. ...until we can trade their works for hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars once they're dead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazy

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
wonder if the artists are getting paid? If so, please just stop it all and just lower you prices!! This new move is un-needed and stupid! Fix Itunes!!!
Everyone work for free so you can save a couple bucks right?

The fact you still use iTunes says it all. They don't fix it because its dead. Its barely used by anyone.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Apple spending money all over the place. Example of lack of focus? What value does this add to anything? I thought they had a massive internal team of creatives all working on stuff like this?

Reactions: mrex

mooreaa

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2017
Is this why my iphone costs more? Apple is a big company. I am sure they have people focused on different things, but honestly... It would be nice to hear "Apple Music" did this... but if Apple as a whole moves slow and from point to point like this, well, they are disappointing not only their fans, but they are losing market share.

I love innovation, i love good product design, but sometimes, I just need regular updates, regular intervals, in a predictable, reliable fashion. I also need them to NOT make a piece of engineering marvel that no one can afford. Why a phone costs 2x as much as a mac mini used to... why an imac can be 5 figures.... why their macpro line got ignored...

I love my apple stuff, but Samsung... while they are building phones, they are also releasing TVs, laptops, massive boats, tanks, and jet engines. So... cool art Apple.

Reactions: WatchFromAfar

dan110

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
'Merica
Keep trying Apple. Just keep trying.

You're doing everything except what actually NEEDS to be done like fixing iTunes.

Reactions: TrentS

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
What the hell is this thing .. Looks like some 8-leged unique design

Where is the head?

zulkiflim

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Singapore
Will this new artwork make me enjoy the music more ?

Haiz...Apple pls .... MUSIC not artwork / album cover !

Apple pls go lossless

verymac

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2019
Another textbook-example why Apple lacks so much these days.

It is so useless and worsening the user experience aka "Is this an album or a playlist?" - really something I want to cope with, when in gym, sweating and quickly looking for a right tune (?) ... eh nope.

I have had Apple music for a while, and this has been one of many many issues of this service.

Spotify is so much better.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
This is like Emoji 2.0 :p

It's like Emoji, but for cover art!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.